Thoughts on Derringers for CCW - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Thoughts on Derringers for CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by undumb
In 41 years I have never had to pull a gun on anyone, the chances are that I most likely won't ever have to. I make sure to pay attention to my surroundings. That said... A derringer is perfect. self defense is up close and personal at knife point distance, It is not unloading a high capacity mag at 50 ft, if you do that I am almost positive that you will be spending the next 10-15 with a new roommate. One shot from a derringer, at point blank will take the fight out of almost anyone and at that distance I will not miss center mass!
So you're willing to bet that a single shot from a small caliber weapon is going to stop a guy tweaking on meth or pcp? I've personally seen people take 4 or 5 rounds from an M4 center mass before they fell. A fellow officer I know was in a shooting where the bad guy took three shots from his department issued 870 loaded with 00 buck before going down. It turns out that bad guy had over 20 pellets in his torso. Never assume you have a weapon that is going to get it done instantly in one shot...unless you can hit that brain stem every time one a moving target in a high stress situation.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 01-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #12

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC-03

So you're willing to bet that a single shot from a small caliber weapon is going to stop a guy tweaking on meth or pcp? I've personally seen people take 4 or 5 rounds from an M4 center mass before they fell. A fellow officer I know was in a shooting where the bad guy took three shots from his department issued 870 loaded with 00 buck before going down. It turns out that bad guy had over 20 pellets in his torso. Never assume you have a weapon that is going to get it done instantly in one shot...unless you can hit that brain stem every time one a moving target in a high stress situation.
Again... I pay attention to my surroundings, I generally try to stay away from areas the meth heads frequent, I've avoided them for 41 years.
But with your logic, everyone should carry a tactical 12 gauge with a 50 rnd canister.
I am a firm believer of being prepared, but to what extent.... Do you have 15 gallons of fresh water, 3 weeks of MRE2's, an axe, a hatchet, a tent, dry fire wood.... In the trunk of your car? Seriously, if your going to prepare, prepare for anything and everything! Just making a point!
If I make a conscious effort to not put myself in bad places, I don't have to inconvenience my life with toting around 3 guns and all the clothing it takes to conceal them.
My wife and I carry S&W BG .380's, and we train with them once a month, we are prepared! I know plenty of people that carry only a derringer and I consider them prepared.
The number one rule of being in a gun fight... Have a gun!

Old 01-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by undumb View Post
Again... I pay attention to my surroundings, I generally try to stay away from areas the meth heads frequent, I've avoided them for 41 years.
But with your logic, everyone should carry a tactical 12 gauge with a 50 rnd canister.
I am a firm believer of being prepared, but to what extent.... Do you have 15 gallons of fresh water, 3 weeks of MRE2's, an axe, a hatchet, a tent, dry fire wood.... In the trunk of your car? Seriously, if your going to prepare, prepare for anything and everything! Just making a point!
If I make a conscious effort to not put myself in bad places, I don't have to inconvenience my life with toting around 3 guns and all the clothing it takes to conceal them.
My wife and I carry S&W BG .380's, and we train with them once a month, we are prepared! I know plenty of people that carry only a derringer and I consider them prepared.
Everyone should be conscious of their surroundings and pay attention, with or without a gun. And everyone should practice common sense and stay out of dangerous areas, where possible. But that doesn't come with a written guarantee of safety, no matter how many years you have gotten by. I know more than one person that did everything you describe and crime has found them, no matter how hard they tried to avoid it. How many times have you seen some tragic event on the news and heard neighbors say "I never expected that to happen here"? Criminals don't play by any rules. They don't restrict their movements to high crime areas. No matter how hard you try. No matter how careful you are. It can find you in a hear beat.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #14

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

My smallest gun I feel comfortable carrying is a J-frame with 5 rounds of .38 +P. I would not trust my life to 2 shots from anything. The only exception is when I am working out in gym shorts. I carry a NAA 22 mag in my front pocket. It is a lot better than nothing, which is what most people carry at the gym.

I think Derringers are cool. I will probably buy one some day. But it will be a toy to play with at the range.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #15

The op asked for thoughts on the derringer... I gave mine.
I did not state that it would stop a meth head dead in his tracks. I stated that it will take the fight out of most people. It will do exactly what it was designed to do... Put two rounds into something at point blank range. That in my opinion will give the shooter advantage in a situation.
My best friend is a deputy, never once has he told me that I need to beef up my preparedness. I have a monitored security system, a dog that is just shy of 100 lbs., an 18.5 in. 12 gauge, a multitude of .45's and .40's in a liberty gun safe, a CCW and a carry weapon, and both of my sons(19 and 24) and I have taken martial arts based self defense (Tracy's Kenpo) and have been taught how to handle a weapon.
If you think that I have not prepared my family enough, then you are just paranoid and no answer would satisfy you.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:46 PM   #16

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I once in a while carry a derringer(seldom). Only two shots IS a problem. I walk alot and many places I walk past have mean acting dogs. If I was attacked by two large dogs a once, I doubt the two shots would be enough. Dogs are worse than human attackers. If a human is shot (or shot at) most times he decides to go someplace where the air contains less lead. If a dog attacks they are harder to hit and less likely to stop until dead. But no one can decide for you. Carrying a derringer is way better than no gun.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by undumb

Easy man...not trying to argue here. Simply staying my point. In my experience and the experience of my fellow officers...limiting yourself to two rounds and taking away the ability for a quick reload is not a smart idea. Not saying you a tactical shotgun with a drum magazine...but why not carry a gun that gives you plenty of rounds and stopping power? Plenty of people think that just because it has never happened to them that it won't...not a good mindset.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 01-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #18

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

It goes against my philosophy of "In every given situation, always carry the largest caliber, frame and capacity firearm that you are comfortable/good with."

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Derringers?

I own 3 NAA .22 Magnum derringers. I have used them as my "GET OFF OF ME GUNS" for years.They hide in my pocket effortlessly, and no one can tell they are there. While I do try to carry as large of a gun as my attire allows, the Derringer is always present in a pocket.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC-03

Easy man...not trying to argue here. Simply staying my point. In my experience and the experience of my fellow officers...limiting yourself to two rounds and taking away the ability for a quick reload is not a smart idea. Not saying you a tactical shotgun with a drum magazine...but why not carry a gun that gives you plenty of rounds and stopping power? Plenty of people think that just because it has never happened to them that it won't...not a good mindset.
Sorry about that, but because I don't carry a desert eagle .50, a sawed off shot gun, and a .44 magnum as a boot gun I am accused of not taking personal protection seriously, this happens on a regular basis. I'm not a LEO, I don't purposely put myself in harms way, and not everyone is a strung-out meth head. I am comfortable with my level of preparedness.
Again, I don't carry a derringer but I have friends that do... It is better than nothing!