Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Thoughts on Derringers for CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Thoughts on Derringers for CCW

I've read many posts on many sites about what some people use as carrying guns for CCW. It seems that nobody wants a simple to use Derringer nowadays for ease of concealment or stopping power that is offered in Today's Derringer of 22mag, 38spl, 45LC and a few other calibers. True, they may only offer 2 shots, and are quite the handful in anything above 32 caliber, but a semiauto 9mm is quite the handful when built on a small framework, and as with any gun, you gain confidence and proficency with practicing, where it shouldn't take 10 shots to prove you can kill a bad guy that is there to harm you and only standing 10 foot in front of you. I like my little Bersa 380, but I've found that my little Cobra 38Special is so much easier to operate, hide(especially in summer with light clothing, and get to quicker. Anybody else carry a Derringer as their Everyday type defense?
Del

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #2

What if there is more then one attacker? I would rather be over armed then under armed any day. I like my micro 9 a lot. Not to snappy

Old 01-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post
I've read many posts on many sites about what some people use as carrying guns for CCW. It seems that nobody wants a simple to use Derringer nowadays for ease of concealment or stopping power that is offered in Today's Derringer of 22mag, 38spl, 45LC and a few other calibers. True, they may only offer 2 shots, and are quite the handful in anything above 32 caliber, but a semiauto 9mm is quite the handful when built on a small framework, and as with any gun, you gain confidence and proficency with practicing, where it shouldn't take 10 shots to prove you can kill a bad guy that is there to harm you and only standing 10 foot in front of you. I like my little Bersa 380, but I've found that my little Cobra 38Special is so much easier to operate, hide(especially in summer with light clothing, and get to quicker. Anybody else carry a Derringer as their Everyday type defense?
Del
It all boils down to YOU.

I've carried Derringers, Revolvers, Auto-loaders, and multiple combinations of these. While I currently carry a Kimber TLE II, I still have a SIG P238 comfortably tucked away for back-up. You may want to look at the SIG P238. It's a very well made, reliable, and deadly accurate 380, as 380's go. But like I said... it all boils down to what YOU like.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Personally I wouldn't carry a derringer. Two shots is just not enough to give me a warm fuzzy. But I know people that do. It's whatever your comfortable with.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No way I would carry derringer. Why carry something that is so small and inaccurate? Not to mention only getting two shots. What happens if there are more than one person? Or if you hit the bad guy with both shots and he keeps coming? I don't carry anything with less than 5 shots (lcr 357), but you'll almost always find me carrying something that holds at least 7 rounds, plus have at least one reload on me. I've never heard of anyone losing a fight because they had too many rounds. I make sure the clothing I wear allows me to carry some form of real gun at all times.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 01-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I think of derringers as a 'throw back' from the days when it was common for people to carry openly, but a few preferred that no one know they were carrying. In that day, it seems the derringer was the common 'mouse gun'. Now, we have a lot more options with higher round capacity.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I carry one as a sconed or third gun. Depends on what im doing. Plus they are small enough i can palm it and have it ready with no one being the wiser.
The fastest reload is a seconed gun.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2572 Times on 1288 Posts
Likes Given: 245

I think them as a novelty item. They are hard to shoot well, only have two shots, and they really don't have much of a size advantage these days. There are so many better options out there. I can't see choosing one over something like a Ruger LCP or the like.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Overkill0084; 01-07-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #9

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Don't take this the wrong way but I know a lady that has a Derringer on her person at all times, for those up close and personal times. She usually has something else with her but the Derringer is always there. A buddy also carries one in his pocket, I think it's a 22 mag. and he loves it. Some feel that this is all that they need to protect themselves some don't. I carry a Beretta Bobcat as a BUG most everywhere.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

In 41 years I have never had to pull a gun on anyone, the chances are that I most likely won't ever have to. I make sure to pay attention to my surroundings. That said... A derringer is perfect. self defense is up close and personal at knife point distance, It is not unloading a high capacity mag at 50 ft, if you do that I am almost positive that you will be spending the next 10-15 with a new roommate. One shot from a derringer, at point blank will take the fight out of almost anyone and at that distance I will not miss center mass!