Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Thoughts on .357 Sig?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Default Thoughts on .357 Sig?

Mainly asking about the penetration, and if I would be endangering whoever is standing behind the person I hope does not force me to defend myself. Thanks-

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2132 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

Wins,

Do you have one at the present or thinking about getting one. God Pistol, Good Caliber but ammunition may be harder to get and more $$$$.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
Wins,

Do you have one at the present or thinking about getting one. God Pistol, Good Caliber but ammunition may be harder to get and more $$$$.

Don't have one myself, just doing some research on it. The Internet is not the best source of information on this caliber (you think it'd be great)

Old 07-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I used to have a sigpro in 357 Sig but sold it for no good reason. It is basically a 9mm at higher velocities so your over penetration concern is valid. If you use bullets that expand readily it will minimize the problem and you still have more energy on target plus a bit flatter trajectory for what that's worth. I reloaded for mine so I wasn't worried about ammo availability.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Out my sig 229 it is louder and brighter than the 40 that I have a second barrel for so it would seem that expanding bullets are your friend

Old 07-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #6

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

The .357 Sig was designed by Federal and Sig to shoot 125 grain at 1450 fps. Anything less is just a funny looking 9mm and all the self proclaimed gun gurus on most of the gun forums like to bad mouth it. The only semi auto more powerful is the 10mm but it has to be used with the original 10mm loading not the watered down FBI load. The .357 Sig is used by the Secret Service to protect the president for a reason. A 10mm is to big and heavy to carry. Do a lot of searching and reading like I have and you will discover that the 357 Sig creates a nasty wound cavity and penetrates where a 9mm or .45 doesn't. Over penetration is like flying saucers. Everyone talks about it but none has been seen. I know that some are going to flame me even after I tell you that the 9mm and .45 are great rounds and will do the job but they can't do what the .357 Sig does. There are a lot of good real life experiences and video testing on all calibers that can be found on the net. The 9mm and .45 both have to be +P or +P+ to come close to the .357 Sig. Most all ammo today is a watered down version of the original. Sorry to be so long winded but a short answer would get flamed worse than this will and I am sure I will have to post more later. Worry about missing your target but no over penetration. Remember that if it kicks hard on your end its going to hit hard on the other end. Carry the biggest baddest gun you can pack.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke4351
The .357 Sig was designed by Federal and Sig to shoot 125 grain at 1450 fps. Anything less is just a funny looking 9mm and all the self proclaimed gun gurus on most of the gun forums like to bad mouth it. The only semi auto more powerful is the 10mm but it has to be used with the original 10mm loading not the watered down FBI load. The .357 Sig is used by the Secret Service to protect the president for a reason. A 10mm is to big and heavy to carry. Do a lot of searching and reading like I have and you will discover that the 357 Sig creates a nasty wound cavity and penetrates where a 9mm or .45 doesn't. Over penetration is like flying saucers. Everyone talks about it but none has been seen. I know that some are going to flame me even after I tell you that the 9mm and .45 are great rounds and will do the job but they can't do what the .357 Sig does. There are a lot of good real life experiences and video testing on all calibers that can be found on the net. The 9mm and .45 both have to be +P or +P+ to come close to the .357 Sig. Most all ammo today is a watered down version of the original. Sorry to be so long winded but a short answer would get flamed worse than this will and I am sure I will have to post more later. Worry about missing your target but no over penetration. Remember that if it kicks hard on your end its going to hit hard on the other end. Carry the biggest baddest gun you can pack.
I appreciate the long answers to my questions. Usually, when I turn to the Internet for a question, that means I can't get in touch with anyone that has much knowledge on it. Sometimes last resorts prove helpful

Old 07-10-2013, 02:26 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 137 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Go to my web page you can view the PDF file from the FBI when they did the testing of the 357Sig for the Secret Service.

https://sites.google.com/a/armsmaster.net/www/gunsandammo

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 27

357sig is an excellent defense round. Overpenetration isn't especially worriesome with good JHPs. Like any other defense round, if you use FMJs (or if you miss your target with JHPs)...whatever exists beyond it is at risk.

I pay about $16-22/50 for range ammo, which ain't cheap. Defense ammo is affordable enough, as Winchester Rangers or Gold Dots can be found for $25-30/50.

High performance round, but expensive. 9mm and 40sw are both quite a bit cheaper to shoot at the range, and both have defensive loads (9mm +p+, 40sw in 135-140gr CorBon) that really aren't that far off 357sig ballistics...so that's sort of a counterpoint.

I like 357sig and sometimes carry it in the woods. But I primarily shoot and carry 9mm and 45acp otherwise.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #10

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

I shoot this round and love it but not as often as I used to.The upside is that it shoots super flat meaning that you can shoot farther more accurately.(A cool factor about this round is when you switch from a 9mm,40cal or 45 you may find some guys and gals coming from a few spots down to find out what you're shooting at the range).The downside to this round is expense and availability which is why I don't shoot it as often as I used to.As far as over penetration with modern technology being what it is I am absolutely positive you can find a jhp ,frangible or other type ammo that will provide you with what you're looking for.When I researched this round I found that quite a few air marshals chose this round with has got to tell you something.