Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > For those of us that carry .380 acp. sometimes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2434 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 1351

Default For those of us that carry .380 acp. sometimes

One of the CC guns I carry is an I.O. Hellcat II, in .380 acp. I generally carry it in hot weather when clothing is less of an obstacle for the bullet. I usually alternate JHP - FMJ in my mags. Since I do not do my own gel/obstacle testing, I am reliant on vids., etc. for my info.

Here is the best compilation of .380 acp. ammo testing I have seen. Looks like the Horady XTP bullet is the big winner.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-30-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1347 Times on 915 Posts
Likes Given: 456

I never use any hollow points in a 380. During the North Hollywood bank robbery a FBI agent had a perfect shot to take out on of the robbers before they left the bank. The agent shot the robber in the shoulder where he had no body armor. The 380 HP bullet hit the bone in his arm and stopped. In the performance report the FBI concluded that if the agent on the scene had loaded his 380 with FMJ ammo he would have taken out one of the robbers with the first point blank range shot.

No matter what type of ammo one chooses to use small 380's such as the LCP, P 3AT, and IO hellcat are going to generate about 200 ft lb of energy at the muzzle. You have to use a full sized pistol like the bersa thunder to get more velocity from any 380 ammo.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-30-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1704 Times on 889 Posts
Likes Given: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I never use any hollow points in a 380. During the North Hollywood bank robbery a FBI agent had a perfect shot to take out on of the robbers before they left the bank. The agent shot the robber in the shoulder where he had no body armor. The 380 HP bullet hit the bone in his arm and stopped. In the performance report the FBI concluded that if the agent on the scene had loaded his 380 with FMJ ammo he would have taken out one of the robbers with the first point blank range shot.

No matter what type of ammo one chooses to use small 380's such as the LCP, P 3AT, and IO hellcat are going to generate about 200 ft lb of energy at the muzzle. You have to use a full sized pistol like the bersa thunder to get more velocity from any 380 ammo.
I wonder what distance that N. Hollywood shot was taken from? I agree you need something that isn't toy sized like a Bersa Thunder, CZ 380, Walther etc. and I think you need to be inside 50 ft to boot for .380s to be effective.

I smell another caliber debate starting

Old 01-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2434 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 1351

^Instigator^

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

People Like This 
Old 01-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
I wonder what distance that N. Hollywood shot was taken from? I agree you need something that isn't toy sized like a Bersa Thunder, CZ 380, Walther etc. and I think you need to be inside 50 ft to boot for .380s to be effective.

I smell another caliber debate starting
It was virtually point blank range. If you google the North Hollywood Bank Robbery, you will find the bank photo of the officer shooting the robber at the bank. He walked right up to the robber and shot him. I suspect that is why the officer chose the 380, he didn't want the robber to see he was armed until it was to late.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
It was virtually point blank range. If you google the North Hollywood Bank Robbery, you will find the bank photo of the officer shooting the robber at the bank. He walked right up to the robber and shot him. I suspect that is why the officer chose the 380, he didn't want the robber to see he was armed until it was to late.
I wonder if 9mm or even a .45 would have stopped those guys with one shot really. they were some hopped-up, determined dudes!

Old 01-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
I wonder if 9mm or even a .45 would have stopped those guys with one shot really. they were some hopped-up, determined dudes!
A larger pistol likely would not have stopped him instantly. But even if the officer had used FMJ ammo in 5 minutes or so his blood pressure would have been to low to carry on the fight. Instead the two robbers shot up half of LA.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
A larger pistol likely would not have stopped him instantly. But even if the officer had used FMJ ammo in 5 minutes or so his blood pressure would have been to low to carry on the fight. Instead the two robbers shot up half of LA.
so you are saying the FMJ would have penetrated thru the bone? if so I see your point. if not, I would think the hollow points would cause more bleeding. but I am not ballistics expert

Old 01-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #9

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

here ya go...this looks like a good choice from Buffalo Bore

380 Auto +P Ammo - 100 gr. Hardcast F.N. (1150fps/ M.E. 294 ft. lbs.) Item 27A/20 is a 100gr. HARD cast bullet with a flat nose. It is traveling over 1,150 fps out of my 3.75 inch BDA (Browning Double Action)

Last edited by MaineMan; 01-30-2014 at 03:31 PM.
chloeshooter Likes This 
Old 01-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMan View Post
here ya go...this looks like a good choice from Buffalo Bore

380 Auto +P Ammo - 100 gr. Hardcast F.N. (1150fps/ M.E. 294 ft. lbs.) Item 27A/20 is a 100gr. HARD cast bullet with a flat nose. It is traveling over 1,150 fps out of my 3.75 inch BDA (Browning Double Action)
I have some of that stuff. It has a little zip to it that's for sure!