Thinking of Black Friday....and being PREPARED
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Thinking of Black Friday....and being PREPARED

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thinking of Black Friday....and being PREPARED

Okay all...less than a week to go until we embark on our Black Friday shopping mission.

As I KNOW (I hope) I am preaching to the choir...all of you who are going willingly, or like me, at the behest (read that told to by the wife) of the wife...you WILL be armed and ready.

So, let's talk about a couple of things...

1. Equipment. Obviously, you will need a defensive sidearm of sufficient caliber to stop a threat with all possible speed. You will need at least one reload. I don't care if you carry a wondernine or uberfotay with a hi-cap magazine...the magazine is the weak link in the semiauto, and as such a spare is just good thinking. If the one in the gun goes to hell...you have a ready-made repair kit. FLASHLIGHT! You will probably be going out in the dark and waiting in line OUTSIDE in the dark (make sure your batteries are fresh...if not shame on you and good luck with that candle). Common sense say...have 'em light! Sharp knife...do I need to explain that? CLEAN HANDKERCHEIF....even if your nose never runs, you have a clean BANDAGE handy. Cell phone...again...do I need to explain?

2. Have some protein. Whether it's a bar or jerky...have some in your pocket. If it's cold outside, you burn energy, get sleepy, and are not as alert as you should be in a crowd of people you don't know.

3. COFFEE! Mainly, just because I love my coffee...BUT...a large cup of steaming coffee in your OFF HAND makes one hell of a good non-lethal liquid projectile into the face of someone who is about to attack you physically. Think about it....SPLASH to face, step back and you now have a little more time in which to employ your defensive measure. I like to call it "Tactical Coffee".

It works. I know this from EXPERIENCE.

4. Keep your eyes moving AT ALL TIMES. Duh.

5. Do NOT look like a target. Remember...'tis the season for carjackings (and assaults, purse snatches, muggings, strong arm robberies....etc...etc...etc...)

Now, down to some brass tacks....remember CONCEALED MEANS CONCEALED. Don't wave your CONCEALED weapon around for ANYONE to see. You don't need to show anyone. If you are new to concealed carry..."letting your roscoe show" does NOT make you cool. It makes you a douche. All you need is some mall ninja asking you to leave the shopping venue you waited in line for hours to get into.

Bin Laden is allegedly dead. Ghadaffi is allegedly dead. Some are still probably pissed off that Sadam is on the other side of the dirt. It IS the 10th Anniversary of 9-11...can you think of a better time for some sort of "retaliation"? In the shape that our economy is in, can you think of a better disruption than our busiest shopping day of the year?

KEEP YOUR DAMNED EYES OPEN.

Plan for, and know where the closest exits are at all times. Do NOT engage foolishness UNLESS you are close enough to be SURE OF YOUR SHOT to stop the threat RIGHT THE **** NOW. If you have NO experience in active shooter engagement, and you are more than an easy pistol shot away...GET YOUR FAMILY TO SAFETY.

If you have a friend who will be with you, and armed...share responsibility for watching one another's backsides.

I will have my wife, who is a currently serving officer with me...she's a pretty good partner...so I am not worried. Our daughter will be home with Grandma, a shotgun, and four 90+ pound landsharks, therefore, I will NOT have to worry about protecting my cub.

Also, remember, you are NOT a damned sheepdog. Your responsibility is to your safety and the safety of those who count on YOU to protect them.

I am not saying abandon people to slaughter...but if you are too far away to make a difference, GET THE HELL OUT and take as many to safety as you can with you. DO NOT engage. Your rounds flying willy nilly will probably hurt more than they will help. UNLESS YOU ARE CLOSE ENOUGH TO BE SURE OF A STOPPING SHOT!

Be safe, be aware, and have a good day.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5629 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

My wife hates that day but she always forgets. This year im taking her to cabelas in richfield wis. LOLOLOL!!! On a normal day that place is stupid busy!! should be funny as hell.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

I'll be prepared "not" to go shopping.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
Lucky bastard!

Old 11-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #5

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Me too, after reading that I'm staying the h**l home!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 11-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Hehe. I'll probably go shooting. Weather permitting.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Hehe. I'll probably go shooting. Weather permitting.
LMAO!! Yep, myself and the youngest (and hopefully the eldest, but doubtful, playing grab ass is to high on the priority list for a 21 y/o to be bothered with hanging out with dad and baby brother) are going to the range.

Good Stuff AZL, nothing but basic common sense listed, but unfortunately, common sense aint so common anymore.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
LMAO!! Yep, myself and the youngest (and hopefully the eldest, but doubtful, playing grab ass is to high on the priority list for a 21 y/o to be bothered with hanging out with dad and baby brother) are going to the range.

Good Stuff AZL, nothing but basic common sense listed, but unfortunately, common sense aint so common anymore.
If I had my d'ruthers....I'd be shooting too. HOWEVER...my wife took my "d'ruthers" and put them in the purse where she keeps my balls and my checkbook.

It's no big deal though...I think she bought me a new rifle for Christmas this year...she was really quizzing me HARD on what kind of rifle I don't already have but would really like.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #9

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Reminds me somewhat of patrol ops briefings in Fallujah.
I took it to heart then too.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
If I had my d'ruthers....I'd be shooting too. HOWEVER...my wife took my "d'ruthers" and put them in the purse where she keeps my balls and my checkbook.

It's no big deal though...I think she bought me a new rifle for Christmas this year...she was really quizzing me HARD on what kind of rifle I don't already have but would really like.
LMAO!!!

Welcome to the world of "wedded bliss"!

Sounds like a good trade off for a new rifle!

I'll be thinking of you and all the "fun" your having while my boy and I are merrily blasting away!

Luckily, i have the most "unwomanly" of women. She hates shopping, doesnt like jewelery, doesnt do makeup etc. etc.

PLUS she fully supports my shooting, hunting, fishing addictions! She figures i could be like a lot of the guys we know and wasting all that time and money on a bar stool, smoking weed, etc etc...instead i am spending time with our kids in the woods, on the range, or in my reloading room.

She "gets it"! But alas, having gotten HER addicted to the shooting, i no longer can sneak away for some "me time" on the range AND she burns up more of my reloads than I do.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!