Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Thinking about removing my laser sight (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/thinking-about-removing-my-laser-sight-72277/)

cnorman18 09-12-2012 01:19 AM

Thinking about removing my laser sight

I carry an LCP every day of my life, with an Armalaser sight. I'm thinking about removing it.

First, I rarely turn it on anyway; I don' t want to run down the batteries, because changing them requires complete disassembly and reassembly and sighting it in again.

Second, related to the above; no laser sight, no batteries, no worries. Keeps it simple.

Third, it adds bulk; it's slightly wider than the pistol's slide. I have to cut & resew holsters that are made for other laser sights (Remora, e.g.). (I'd have to resew all my holsters for a good fit after I remove it, but I can do that; have the tools and the skills.)

Fourth, when I renewed my CHL, I wasn't allowed to use it on the range test, and I hit what I aimed at without it.

Fifth, maybe; it might reveal my position if I ever have to shoot from cover.

Anybody have any opinions?

JonM 09-12-2012 01:38 AM

i just got an lcp with a laser max. using a blackhawk pocket holster. the lasermax seems to breakup the outline more than without it. lasers are pretty useless for selfdefense but it cant really hurt. the one on mine helps hide the gun so it is staying.

spittinfire 09-12-2012 02:12 AM

IMHO lasers are a crutch that people use to replace good training. I bought a revolver for my wife with a laser on it thinking that the laser would help her find her target quicker and maybe even be more accurate. Her experience was the exact opposite! While she was still hitting the target her shots were slower and not nearly as tight. I had her switch back to using the sights and she instantly improved. From that point forward I only have her practice with the iron sights on the weapon and she does very well.

Gonzilla 09-12-2012 03:10 AM

Many years ago, I read that a certain state troopers hit ratio was 1 in 5. Evidently, when forced to draw their weapons, they either would not or could not take their eyes off the perp to utilize their sights.

Lasers provide you w another aiming option where you do not have to use your sights or take your eyes off the target. In addition, it's truly amazing how people STOP when that little red dot is on them. I do not want to shoot anyone or deal w the inevitable lawsuits after. Anything that can prevent that is worth the investment.

Just my .02

devildog24 09-18-2012 12:32 AM

[

Lasers provide you w another aiming option where you do not have to use your sights or take your eyes off the target. In addition, it's truly amazing how people STOP when that little red dot is on them. I do not want to shoot anyone or deal w the inevitable lawsuits after. Anything that can prevent that is worth the investment.

Just my .02[/QUOTE]

If you were in a situation where you couldn't get your gun up to use your sights the laser would work. I have lasers in two of my Glocks for this reason. The idea that the red dot intimidates is another good reason to use them. They will not make you a better shot though I agree.

Coyotenator 09-18-2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzilla (Post 937513)
Many years ago, I read that a certain state troopers hit ratio was 1 in 5. Evidently, when forced to draw their weapons, they either would not or could not take their eyes off the perp to utilize their sights.

Just my .02

I agree.

Anything that will help you in a high stress defensive situation is a plus.

Dillinger 09-18-2012 01:03 AM

Lasers point two ways. That was enough for me to dump my Crimson Trace after about 3-4 years of regular carry.

Now when you stop and analyze the use.

You get used to seeing the dot and pulling the trigger. But what if you can't see the dot?

What if you fat hand it and the laser is blocked by your big meathook strangling the poor pistol?

What if the target has on some colors that are close to the color of your dot?

Train with your carry weapon and don't rely on things that could fail you, like a battery powered light emitting device.

Dump the laser. You know it's the right thing to do. ;)

USEBOTHHANDS 09-18-2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 944970)
Lasers point two ways. That was enough for me to dump my Crimson Trace after about 3-4 years of regular carry.

Now when you stop and analyze the use.

You get used to seeing the dot and pulling the trigger. But what if you can't see the dot?

What if you fat hand it and the laser is blocked by your big meathook strangling the poor pistol?

What if the target has on some colors that are close to the color of your dot?

Train with your carry weapon and don't rely on things that could fail you, like a battery powered light emitting device.

Dump the laser. You know it's the right thing to do. ;)

that's why ya gotta "BOB N WEAVE, BOB N WEAVE!" "SERPENTINE PATTERN, SERPENTINE PATTERN!"

Dillinger 09-18-2012 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS (Post 945017)
that's why ya gotta "BOB N WEAVE, BOB N WEAVE!" "SERPENTINE PATTERN, SERPENTINE PATTERN!"

If you post another Will Ferrell clip on this forum again, I'll have you killed. And raped. And filleted. And roasted in oil. And raped again.

And not necessarily in that order. :mad:

cnorman18 09-18-2012 01:36 AM

Thanks for all the input -- I removed it yesterday. I like it a lot better, and have already altered my holsters to fit. That last point -- depending on a battery powered device -- was my basic motivation, even before I read that.

And it'll be a cold day in Hell before I take tactical instruction from Will Ferrell...