Think About This
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Think About This

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 03:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Default Think About This

So.. some say they will never use a 9mm, only .45 and up. Some say you can't kill a grizzly bear with anything less than 6 shots of 300 Win mag, some say they know someone that put one down with a few rounds of .45. Some people have survived 12 gauge or 7.62 rounds, and some have died from .380's. Some people survive horrible car wrecks, some die in much kess violent ones... The point? I don't know, I guess the point is you never really know.

What do you think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2013, 03:49 AM   #2

Less**** violent

Old 10-25-2013, 03:53 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade View Post
So.. some say they will never use a 9mm, only .45 and up. Some say you can't kill a grizzly bear with anything less than 6 shots of 300 Win mag, some say they know someone that put one down with a few rounds of .45. Some people have survived 12 gauge or 7.62 rounds, and some have died from .380's. Some people survive horrible car wrecks, some die in much kess violent ones... The point? I don't know, I guess the point is you never really know.

What do you think?
I think with over 7 billion variables in the world, pretty much anyone can die or survive in many different situations.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:34 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade View Post

What do you think?
that there are no real gaurantees in life. when your number is called, it's time to go. it won't matter if it's by gun shot or passing quietly in your sleep.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:45 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I like your point.
In theory carry a gun, any gun with a good quality round and hope for the best.
As you pointed out some things happen due to simple causes and other things happen due to extreme causes. There truly is no rhyme or reason to a lot of things in life.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:51 AM   #6

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

In the case humans being shot the small calibers are very deadly. The larger more powerful handguns shoot a hole straight thru a thin skinned human and exit.
The .25,.32,.380 etc enter the body cavity and spend their energy tumbling around tearing up organs and tissues. Wounds from small caliber handguns have a low survival rate.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
In the case humans being shot the small calibers are very deadly. The larger more powerful handguns shoot a hole straight thru a thin skinned human and exit.
The .25,.32,.380 etc enter the body cavity and spend their energy tumbling around tearing up organs and tissues. Wounds from small caliber handguns have a low survival rate.
Yep very good point, I didn't even think about that at the time. When I was a kid my dad told me that's why they shot Jack Ruby in the stomach. Shred organs and tumbles around

Old 10-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #8

Liked 403 Times on 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
I don't believe that to be true at all with small calibre bullets. The whole "bouncing around tearing up organs" just doesn't jive with me. The fbi switched to a larger calibre because they needed stopping power. Sure, a .22 has killed many people, but if you do the research, they were hit in the head, spine, lungs, or heart. I would NEVER trust a .22 or .25 auto to penetrate heavy clothing a still reach vital organs. Bleeding out can kill you, but it's the hydrostatic shock from a well placed hollow point that really gets an attacker to rethink their decision to continue fighting. Numerous studies have indicated that anything less than .380 is a toss up when it comes to stopping a threat cold. Now, I don't claim to be an expert or anything, I'm just going on what I've read (which is a lot). Obviously carrying any gun is better than not carrying a gun. But, I just don't believe that a .22 is bouncing around inside the body after traveling through clothing, muscle, and possibly bone. That small of a round just doesn't have the energy behind it. Again, this is all my opinion and everyone knows opinions are like a** holes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
... Bleeding out can kill you, but it's the hydrostatic shock from a well placed hollow point that really gets an attacker to rethink their decision to continue fighting....
I think I misunderstand hydrostatic shock; could you give me your definition please? I was under the impression that only high velocity rounds like some rifles use would generate significant hydrostatic shock.

I think we need more live bear testing on the penetration and such. Maybe we could include it in the Jr. High curriculum: "OK students, today we will demonstrate how to best incapacitate a bear. Lil Johnny, would bring me that chainsaw please."

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2929 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 1746

I think that too any people hear anecdotal stories about this or that and accept them as gospel. Then it ends up like the "telephone game" where you whisper it in one persons ear and they whisper it into the next . . . and by the time it gets back around to you, a 5 year old with a popsicle stick stopped a charging rhino in it's tracks.

With the advent of CGI and Al Gore's internet (the ultimate telephone game) and no accountability for anonymous misinformation, we truly live in a world of illusion, or more correctly, delusion.

It's fun to escape our little worlds by posting and reading on the net, but when it comes to those things that can and will alter your life forever, do your due diligence.

We are all biodegradable.

Ruger, don't leave home without it.