Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Things you learn in a CCW class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 04:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Things you learn in a CCW class

My wife and I took our FL CCW class on Sunday and learned a lot of good information. I also learned/witnessed that people who can't write their own name using straight lines are allowed to carry a weapon. I don't wish CA law upon any state, but this old man couldn't hold the gun steady if his life depended on it. I feel bad for the poor bastards 20 yd behind and 15 degrees to the left and right of the BG should this old man ever fire his pistol.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #2

Hahaha! There was a couple in my class with His and Hers Taurus Judges. They were both pushing 80 and had to pull the hammer back with their thumbs before firing the hand cannon. Hopefully, whoever decides to rob them is nice enough to wait for them to cock their guns before firing.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Both of you should have offered to share your abundance of expertise () with those folks instead of ridiculing them.... Last I checked, the 2nd Amendment didn't say "applies only to those in excellent health."

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 09-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #4

Regardless of your health, you should be shooting a gun that is comfortable and safe for you to handle. It doesn't do anyone a lick of good to own a gun that they can't shoot proficiently. You yourself made reference to choosing guns like you choose shoes and not starting new shooters on higher caliber guns. Clearly, this is a matter of common sense, not trying to poke fun at those in "poor health".

Old 09-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #5

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Tht old man tht u make fun of may have served and fought for this country ensuring and preserving the freedom tht u so much enjoy.. The old couple tht u make fun of trying to receive some education on firearms may have been victims of a home invasion tht almost cost them their lives where they lost more than just possessions,now they live in fear and have lost tht god given right to feel safe inside your own home. Where is the respect for our elders? I salute them for taking tht step to protect theirself.. U never know, tht same old man...or tht same old couple, may have to save YOUR ass one day

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 09-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #6

My point wasn't to make fun of this man. It is his right to own that gun, but I don't think he's doing anyone any favors by carrying it. I suppose I believe a little bit more in states requiring you to qualify with a weapon before you may carry it in public. If you think I'm out of line, go ahead and fire away (words not bullets please).

Old 09-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #7

When I took my handgun safety class (a requirement to obtain an Oregon CCW) there was a blond chick behind me doing her nails in class. It started to get me a little perturbed. But when I thought more about it, this gal had a god given right to take steps necessary to defend herself.
Saying that someone is too old sounds a lot like soylent green to me.
Hell, that old guy just might be the one that saves your sorry ass someday.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD8N8 View Post
Regardless of your health, you should be shooting a gun that is comfortable and safe for you to handle. It doesn't do anyone a lick of good to own a gun that they can't shoot proficiently. You yourself made reference to choosing guns like you choose shoes and not starting new shooters on higher caliber guns. Clearly, this is a matter of common sense, not trying to poke fun at those in "poor health".
That's exactly right. Common sense would have been to assist, and advise, instead of being a smart-ass. If the instructor didn't, you should have offered appropriate advice. Who did you help by ridiculing those folks after class? Most likely they were "sold" on the gun by someone who thought they knew what would fit another person's hands. Just the opposite of what I recommend. Your post may have impressed yourself, but you didn't impress anyone else.

NRA Life Member

Some of my toys

Last edited by Jay; 09-20-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpotential View Post
My point wasn't to make fun of this man. It is his right to own that gun, but I don't think he's doing anyone any favors by carrying it. I suppose I believe a little bit more in states requiring you to qualify with a weapon before you may carry it in public. If you think I'm out of line, go ahead and fire away (words not bullets please).
Show me where the 2nd Amendment requires qualification. Why in the hell would you advocate MORE gun laws?

Quote:
I also learned/witnessed that people who can't write their own name using straight lines are allowed to carry a weapon. I don't wish CA law upon any state, but this old man couldn't hold the gun steady if his life depended on it. I feel bad for the poor bastards 20 yd behind and 15 degrees to the left and right of the BG should this old man ever fire his pistol.
"This isn't making fun"? Try it again when you reach puberty.

NRA Life Member

Some of my toys

Old 09-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #10

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpotential
As far as being out of line.....yea maybe. Your entitled to your own opinion, but like others have said, you could have offered some assistance. The gentleman had his own reasons for being in that class and honestly if the instructor felt that he was not competent enough, he has an obligation not to pass the gentleman. I agree that some people should not be able to carry, just as I agree some people shouldn't be driving however, those are my opinions. I wouldn't feel comfortable in any situation with a gun pointed at me whether or not the person is old/young, shaky/calm, black/white etc etc. A threat is a threat is a threat. There...my .02

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy