Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Things to think about before you open carry (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/things-think-about-before-you-open-carry-26013/)

ThorsHammer 04-13-2010 03:03 PM

Things to think about before you open carry

I've been all over Charlotte, NC, with my pistol, open carrying. The trick is: do it well. Looks are everything. If you strap your Uncle Mike's on on top of your urban camouflage pants, wear a heavy metal shirt and a bandanna over your long, greasy hair, you'll get the cops called on you faster than you can say "it's my legal right." Don't be that guy.
  1. Know your state and local laws
  2. Dress nice
  3. Be polite and well-mannered
  4. If you want to be different, do it without your firearm
  5. Don't be that guy!
Know the laws in the state and city you are intending to open carry in. Some city cores do not allow you to carry openly. Be aware of this before you head into town. Always make sure that you keep an eye out for "No weapons" signs posted on businesses because you really do not want to be arrested for trespassing with a loaded firearm on your hip.

Wear nice clothes. Wear a nice holster. Look like someone a politician might want to shake hands with. Hell, wear a nice NRA hat as well, just to make sure they know. Half of the time people will just confuse you with a plain clothes police officer.

Sure, you want to express your individuality. Do it without a firearm on your hip. Because it's that type of person that really hurts the movement. It's not about just you, it's about an entire group of people that you are in a way publicly representing by open carrying.

Resources for those that are interested in open carry:

cpttango30 04-13-2010 03:07 PM

Good advice there Thor.

The last time I carried I was going hunting. I had on blue jeans, a Natural Gear shirt my 1911 and a 5.11 belt (Gotta be tacticool).

If you dress "NORMAL" and looking like a slob/stinking hippie is not NORMAL. I didn't try to draw attention to myself I just did what I needed to do in the Wawa and got out. I handeled myself like I always do I say please and thank you hold to doors for ladies ect....

I guess it is a little easier in VA as according to many we are just a bunch of gun totting rednecks anyways.

ALSGUN 04-13-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorshammer (Post 269260)
i've been all over charlotte, nc, with my pistol, open carrying. The trick is: Do it well. Looks are everything. If you strap your uncle mike's on on top of your urban camouflage pants, wear a heavy metal shirt and a bandanna over your long, greasy hair, you'll get the cops called on you faster than you can say "it's my legal right." don't be that guy.
  1. know your state and local laws
  2. dress nice
  3. be polite and well-mannered
  4. if you want to be different, do it without your firearm
  5. don't be that guy!
know the laws in the state and city you are intending to open carry in. Some city cores do not allow you to carry openly. Be aware of this before you head into town. Always make sure that you keep an eye out for "no weapons" signs posted on businesses because you really do not want to be arrested for trespassing with a loaded firearm on your hip.

Wear nice clothes. Wear a nice holster. Look like someone a politician might want to shake hands with. Hell, wear a nice nra hat as well, just to make sure they know. Half of the time people will just confuse you with a plain clothes police officer.

Sure, you want to express your individuality. Do it without a firearm on your hip. Because it's that type of person that really hurts the movement. It's not about just you, it's about an entire group of people that you are in a way publicly representing by open carrying.

good advice

ThorsHammer 04-13-2010 03:18 PM

Here's a good example of what not to dress like when you open carry:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...er_Wyoming.jpg

I am going to be including examples of open carry done well, so if you guys have any pictures that we can add to the thread, please PM me so I can add them to the main post!

sweeper22 04-27-2010 08:38 PM

I might actually suggest that this fella surpasses most Walmart attire.

[QUOTE=ThorsHammer;269266]Here's a good example of what not to dress like when you open carry:

QUOTE]

mpd8488 04-27-2010 10:31 PM

I started carrying my wallet in the pocket opposite from where I carry my gun. If you're carrying on your right hip you may not want to be reaching toward your back right pocket.

Also, might I suggest that this is a case where Wikipedia is not a good resource for information. Given how the Brady bunch is all up in arms of open carry I wouldn't trust a resource that anybody can edit at will.

Rick1967 04-27-2010 11:34 PM

It is funny what people just naturally assume. I am a hotel manager. I wear a dress jacket and tie in the colder months. I have a ccw. But occasionaly I will walk out to my car without my jacket. I don't take off my gun. I am friendly with everyone. The senior citizens on either side of me know to call me in an emergency. One day I was at a friends house. He lives just down the street. He told me that most of the neighbors think that I am an undercover officer and the hotel is my cover. People know the truth now. But, they sure jumped to conclusions.

gorknoids 04-28-2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThorsHammer (Post 269266)
Here's a good example of what not to dress like when you open carry:

I am going to be including examples of open carry done well, so if you guys have any pictures that we can add to the thread, please PM me so I can add them to the main post!

Dewd, that's an example of how not to dress when you're breathing.

ThorsHammer 04-28-2010 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpd8488 (Post 277003)
Also, might I suggest that this is a case where Wikipedia is not a good resource for information. Given how the Brady bunch is all up in arms of open carry I wouldn't trust a resource that anybody can edit at will.

Wikipedia usually shuts down "edit wars" pretty fast. When it comes to laws in states and counties they are usually pretty accurate. Sure, anybody can edit the page, but there are usually twice as many watchers of the page as there are random editors that try to change the page.

mudslinger79 04-28-2010 02:53 AM

Hey wait I wear camo shorts, heavy-metal t shirts and have long hair, no bandana, and tattoos. I'm also 6' 271 lbs. I have been all over the place with my Ruger on my hip and i generally get the people asking questions like, are u a cop? No. Is it real?, yes. Is it legal? Well duh... and I'm a gentleman also. I have manners, treat people with respect and try to get along with people. Might I add I'm also a single father of 2 kids that live with me. People look at me and assume druggie when in fact I've never done that crap a day in my life, my parents raised me better than that.