These Pocket .380's
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > These Pocket .380's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3115 Times on 1790 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

Default These Pocket .380's

I purchased a P3AT to complement my SD packages.

I seem to have trouble getting it to group at 15 yds (yeah, a little long, but still doable with other firearms).

Even at 7 yds, I can't keep it under 7".

The PPK/s and S&W model 12 do great to 25 yds. And as I use these for SD, I shoot them double action.

The question is: What should I expect for a group at 7 yards with the P3AT?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #2

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Do you have the grip extensions? I had the same issue when I first got my P3AT. My groups couldn't really be called that my first time to the range. I shot the first two magazines and when I noticed the disparity I added the grip extenders on the spot. Here's a picture of my first target at 7 yards. You can see most of the shots aren't close together. Then I managed to get some shots grouped closely together in the torso and head after I added the grip extenders. For me they really helped hold the gun better. If I still had the gun I would bet I could make those tighter still.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #3

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I'm not a good shot with any pistol, bad eyes/shaky hands, etc., etc. so I gave up on getting the nice tight little groups a long time ago. But to me, with a small pocket sized SD pistol, center of mass should be all that is required. I'd also suggest that biggest portion of practice time should be without even using the sights, just point & shoot.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3115 Times on 1790 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

I've considered the mag extenders, but that creates another problem of concealment for me.

I guess that practice, practice and more practice is in order.

Thanks for the replies.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7824 Times on 4697 Posts
Likes Given: 9855

I got what I thought was a fair grouping with my Sig P238. I am not the best shot in the world. But my hands are small and the gun fits my hand perfectly. I don't think I'll ever be as good as my guns would like me to be. But I'm pretty darned sure I could stop someone in their tracks if I ever needed to (and I hope I don't ever need to.)