That's it. I'm carrying at work now ! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > That's it. I'm carrying at work now !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I own a small company and if I chose to ban weapons it would be my right and I would fire or prosecute anyone that broke my rules, however I don't, so that is not an issue. But if i did and an employee came to me and was honest I would try to work out an agreement with them. I have in the past on other issues.
For someone not obeying their employers rules shows me that that is an employee not worth having and they would probably lose their job. Also a conviction for something so trivial as this could make one ineligible for a concealed permit in the future. For these reasons alone it would not be worth it to me to possibly lose my rights to carry or my job.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSGUN View Post
I own a small company and if I chose to ban weapons it would be my right and I would fire or prosecute anyone that broke my rules, however I don't, so that is not an issue. But if i did and an employee came to me and was honest I would try to work out an agreement with them. I have in the past on other issues.
For someone not obeying their employers rules shows me that that is an employee not worth having and they would probably lose their job. Also a conviction for something so trivial as this could make one ineligible for a concealed permit in the future. For these reasons alone it would not be worth it to me to possibly lose my rights to carry or my job.
Well stated. I'm in management and any breach of the rules is grounds for immediate termination. The reason, the rules are in place for a reason usually to limit company liability and the for safety of other employees. If one rule is allowed to be broken how do you enforce the others. The best solution is to make a request for an exception to the rule. In my company exceptions are granted depending on the circumstances and the employee making the request.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:30 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I am glad to see some of you small business owners willing to work with your employe's. For the longest time I was worried about carrying my weapon with me to work. Because they would not allow it. Even in the parking lot. So I broke the rules and kept my pistol in my truck outside the gate. Reason I broke the rules is I had to travel 100 miles round trip to work. I was not willing to put myself on the line. Now the State changed the law and we can now have our weapons on property as long as it is locked up in your car or truck.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:30 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
You could lose more than one job. If you get fired because you defied a company policy, you could lose more than one prospective job when you are searching for employment. Even if company is carry-friendly, they might not want to hire someone who refused to follow company policies.
very good point!

Old 04-22-2010, 01:38 AM   #25

I worked for a trucking company here in pa and the policy was the same no carrying in company trucks but they were sending me into rough neighborhoods at 4 and 5 in the morning so as other people on here have said as long as it is concealed and your not showing it off no one will be the wiser but I also agree with talking to the boss and working out a compramise.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:56 AM   #26
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2231 Times on 1205 Posts
Likes Given: 803

Folks... keep in mind that the Constitution guarantees non-inference by the government, but employers have more leeway.

Take the first amendment for example. Freedom of speech cannot be infringed by the government; but you call a customer a jack***, and you'll be fired so fast it will make your head spin. Freedom of the press is guaranteed; but pull out a Playboy at work, and you'll get hit with a sexual harassment suit in no time flat. Freedom of religion is absolute; but if you decide its your job to convert everyone in your office, you will maintain your employment for approximately... the day.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:12 AM   #27

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I believe i would rather lose my job and be alive and safe for my family. When i carry nobody knows.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:07 AM   #28

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

I do not believe it's a trespassing charge in WA state. You have no "legal" worries here unless the owner has POSTED the property. If it's not posted, the only thing your violating is your employment agreement.

Most companies have the "no weapons" language in there employee handbooks because some lawyer convinced them that it would shield them from liablility if one employee went "postal" on the others.

It will take a surviving spouse suing an employer after loosing a loved one to a workplace shooting where the deceased had a CCW but was not armed at work due to "company policy" before business owners begin to shift there thinking on this issue.

In the mean time I'd suggest you do what we all do. Keep your mouth shut and gun holstered. If god forbid your forced to draw and fire at work, the least of your worries will be whether or not you keep your job.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:36 AM   #29

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Davis View Post
If you feel you need to carry - then I would carry (and I Do).

But if an employer says you can not bring a firearm on to company property, then I think you might have a problem legally.

You probably need to check with a local lawyer.

Also think about talking to your boss about a secure / safe place to check your gun when you come to work.

I've heard of this working before in States where carrying is legal, but it's also legal for companies to ban firearms on their property.
The most you have to loose by carrying at work is your job and that's a hell of a lot easier to replace than your life.

TACK

Old 10-06-2011, 02:03 AM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think it's a good way to get fired, so if you don't mind that go
ahead and carry.

Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg