Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   That's it. I'm carrying at work now ! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/thats-im-carrying-work-now-21046/)

yesicarry 12-12-2009 09:48 AM

That's it. I'm carrying at work now !

Screw the "company Policy". The State of Wa. granted permission to carry. My job is in Lakewood Wa.. You might have heard of it. 4 cops just got murdered here. I work till 10 pm in a crappy neighborhood. And walk home at night.
I figure if employer raises a stink, I can bring up how the Seattle Mayor is getting sued for restricting firearms in public places. Even the NRA is in on this one.
Employer might see the light.. eh.. Maybe..

Ya' Think ?

Mark F 12-12-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yesicarry (Post 198381)
Screw the "company Policy". The State of Wa. granted permission to carry. My job is in Lakewood Wa.. You might have heard of it. 4 cops just got murdered here. I work till 10 pm in a crappy neighborhood. And walk home at night.
I figure if employer raises a stink, I can bring up how the Seattle Mayor is getting sued for restricting firearms in public places. Even the NRA is in on this one.

Ya' Think ?

I agree. Your life is worth more than some stupid ass anti-gun policy.

Don Davis 12-12-2009 12:16 PM

If you feel you need to carry - then I would carry (and I Do). :)

But if an employer says you can not bring a firearm on to company property, then I think you might have a problem legally. :eek:

You probably need to check with a local lawyer.

Also think about talking to your boss about a secure / safe place to check your gun when you come to work.

I've heard of this working before in States where carrying is legal, but it's also legal for companies to ban firearms on their property.

bigbad-ratman 12-12-2009 12:26 PM

while i do support your decision, you def need to check the legality of what you intend to do. in FL, i believe the wording of it is: "Trespassing with an illegally concealed weapon." so it goes bad for you in a hurry!!! please be careful.

michigan0626 12-12-2009 12:40 PM

Your lucky. I live in Florida, which means I can keep a gun in my car at work. Im a Federal LEO, which means I can conceal carry without a permit across ALL state lines, including Hawaii, Chicago, New York City, and California. BUT......... I work at a prison, which means I can not have a weapon on my person or vehicle on prison grounds to include the parking lot. So, corrections officers are at there most vulnerable to and from work while in uniform. There has been a couple of incidents in the BOP where an inmate had his friends and family wait for a certain CO (names embroidered on shirt) and attack them. Last year there was a bill that never made it to the floor that would mandate the prisons build gunlockers for staff so that we could be safe at our move vulnerable. They have gunlockers at the federal prison in Puerto Rico, but we cant get them here. It took an officer to get stabbed to death to get vests, I guess its gonna take an off duty shooting death for us to get gun lockers. Even though it might be against policy for you to carry at work, at least its not against the law.

lonyaeger 12-12-2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Davis (Post 198419)
If you feel you need to carry - then I would carry (and I Do). :)

But if an employer says you can not bring a firearm on to company property, then I think you might have a problem legally. :eek:

You probably need to check with a local lawyer.

Also think about talking to your boss about a secure / safe place to check your gun when you come to work.

I've heard of this working before in States where carrying is legal, but it's also legal for companies to ban firearms on their property.

That's right, it's completely up to the owner of the business whether or not weapons can be carried at his business. In light of recent events up there, I would hope that he would be open to what Don said at the very least.

Dillinger 12-12-2009 03:33 PM

If you are carrying, and no showing, then no one would be the wiser.

I work for the power company, and there is a STRICT No Carry / No Weapons policy.

I will tell you this, on any given storm/outage sitation, there is more hardware on the guys' trucks than at your local gun store.

I am just saying. If you play it cool and you do it smart, no one should be the wiser and it should never be an issue....

Do you carry a personal backpack by any chance? :cool:

slowryde45 12-12-2009 11:32 PM

The company I worked for had the same rules...no firearms. But like JD said, if you are carrying, not showing (or showing it off), no one would know, no one would be the wiser. Best part, you would have it...if you needed it.

For the hours that I worked, and some of the sights we had to go to, there was no way I was going to be out there WITHOUT it. I never had to use it, but felt a whole lot safer. And I would say that over half of our company was in to guns, too. I'm sure I wasn't the only one carrying ;)

Or carry one of these:
http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=51
Depending on what you are carrying in it, on a belt, it stays pretty concealed with a shirt or jacket over it and easy to get to.

Phelenwolf 12-13-2009 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yesicarry (Post 198381)

Ya' Think ?

I am pretty sure if you work for a small company that you might be able to make some kind of arrangements with the owner/manager on where you can store your weapon if you carry to and from work.

I also believe in being able to carry to and from work but it is not worth the risk of losing your carry rights for ever if you are caught carrying in a place that does not allow you to carry. You have to be smart.

Here in Az I work at a job that did not allow weapons to be carried on the property at anytime. WELL now that the reign of neo-nazi Janet Napolitano is over, we now have a governor that cares about the people in his state. He signed a bill allowing Arizonaians to carry at work and in bars/restruants that serve alcohol as long as you do not drink, and as long as you have your CCW and do not show your weapon.

yesicarry 12-13-2009 05:47 AM

Interesting.. Yes, I do work for a small company. It's an indoor go-kart racing track. We are open till 10 pm and we see everybody from tweakers to Federal agents. I'm just worried about some meth zombie coming in with a gun.
The boss does not have sign stating "no weapons". So customers can walk in with weapons but yet employees cant.. The boss does know that I have a permit to carry with years of training so, from advice you guys have given me, I'm just going to talk to him about carrying. Dont want a trespassing charge.