Texas is one step closer to open carry! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Texas is one step closer to open carry!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 05:44 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Phelenwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 868
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
One of the more maddening things about CA is that CCW permitting is up to the individual Sheriff (if you live in unincorporated County like me) or the police chief of the municipality where you reside. Some of them have a Shall Issue policy (I hear that Sacramento County has recently gone that direction) and some have a virtually "No Issue" policy (like Sheriff Laurie Smith here in Santa Clara County). The clincher is that a permit issued anywhere in the State of CA is good throughout the state.

One thing that is not clear to me is that in San Francisco they passed a law banning guns in SF city/county, so does that mean that someone with a CCW permit issued elsewhere cannot have a gun?
Everyone seems to forget that Sheriff's and Politicans are elected to office.
__________________
Phelenwolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #22
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,591
Liked 8845 Times on 5120 Posts
Likes Given: 11575

Default

San Francisco does stupid things. They knew that if they made gay marriage legal there a couple of years ago for a few weeks that it would be declared illegal, but yet they went ahead and did it. They may have made a statement, but what they did was illegal. They went about it in the wrong way, but it seems that what they did was controversial but it is the direction that things are headed (given the recent NY legality of gay marriage). SF may have been "right" in that gay people should not be discriminated against but their methods were probably wrong.

I feel the need here to state that while I am not gay and at one time while I felt that gay marriage should not be "allowed", I have changed that because I do (now) equate gay marriage rights to other civil rights issues we have as a nation dealt with in the past. Perhaps this is a conversation for another thread.

SF tried to outlaw guns the same way, but the problem is they are not only in violation of the 2nd Amendment, they are in violation of the Constitution of California.

I am not trying to equate the 2nd Amendment rights with gay marriage, but I think it serves as a good comparison. SF also has declared that people who have animals in the household are not "pet owners", but rather "pet guardians" as of 2003. They are equating "pet ownership" to human slaves (this was seriously one of the arguments). If it weren't for the fact that the city of SF has some of the greatest historical sites in the state I would want it walled off with concertina wire at the top of the wall like a prison. It is a cesspool.

__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nashville,TN
Posts: 9
Default

I for one would never carry open except maybe in the wilderness. Why would you want everyone to see that you are carrying? The whole idea is not let the bad guy know you can protect yourself. If they can see your firearm they can plot to take it.

__________________
Glocker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FatPat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Forsyth,Georgia
Posts: 130
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocker View Post
I for one would never carry open except maybe in the wilderness. Why would you want everyone to see that you are carrying? The whole idea is not let the bad guy know you can protect yourself. If they can see your firearm they can plot to take it.
I've said it a hundred times - I guess I'll have to say it a hundred more: When one gun owner denigrates the type of weapon, or the manner in which another gun owner carries his or her weapon then we give the antis a stick with which to beat us.
__________________
FatPat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nashville,TN
Posts: 9
Default

I was only stating my personal opinion and could care less what others do. I guess freedom of speech is restricted here also. Will not be posting again if this is what you get in return.

__________________
Glocker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #26
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sniper03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,416
Liked 2751 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 1396

Default

Glocker,

I agree with you. I certainly believe in our constitutional rights regarding firearms. But I must say other than on a range or hunting, the last thing I want to do is open carry and let the bad guy know I have a weapon on me. The element of surprise gives me the upper edge. I watched the video and it even more reinforced my personal views on the issue. If I was a crackpot or a bad guy I could come up behind most of them in the video and take their weapon and shoot them before they realized I was going to do that. Or just walk up behind them with my gun and pop them. Not that I am against it but not for me. I spent to many years on the road and had a similar situation where a robber was getting ready to pull a holdup at a video store! I was close when the call went out in plain clothes and was able to enter the store as a customer and get close enough to get the upper hand. If he would have seen my 40cal Glock it would have given my advantage away and or I would have been targeted at the get go. Just an example.

03

__________________
Sniper03 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:06 AM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FatPat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Forsyth,Georgia
Posts: 130
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocker View Post
I was only stating my personal opinion and could care less what others do. I guess freedom of speech is restricted here also. Will not be posting again if this is what you get in return.
Partner, if what I posted is your idea of someone restricting your free speech (BS anyways since these types of boards are usually privately owned, therefore you can be censored as they see fit) then what do you do when someone really disagrees with your point of view?
__________________
FatPat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:45 AM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pagj17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prescott Valley,Arizona
Posts: 2,431
Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

I open carry here sometimes just because the situations that i've been in allow me time to load but not to escape. California also allows you to go loaded if you have a reasonable fear for your safety.
The other reason I open carry is sort of to disagree with the policy. In riverside County, it is illegal to carry a weapon while protesting:P therefore I would neeeeverrr carry a firearm to protest the law requiring it to be unloaded:P

Sent from my DROID2 using FirearmsTalk

__________________

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------


Last edited by pagj17; 07-07-2011 at 02:51 AM.
pagj17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:22 AM   #29
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,591
Liked 8845 Times on 5120 Posts
Likes Given: 11575

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
I open carry here sometimes just because the situations that i've been in allow me time to load but not to escape. California also allows you to go loaded if you have a reasonable fear for your safety.
The other reason I open carry is sort of to disagree with the policy. In riverside County, it is illegal to carry a weapon while protesting:P therefore I would neeeeverrr carry a firearm to protest the law requiring it to be unloaded:P

Sent from my DROID2 using FirearmsTalk
Funny, the people who open carry around here are protesting the lack of CCW permits being issued as I understand it. In Riverside Co. that would be technically illegal?
__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:27 AM   #30
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,591
Liked 8845 Times on 5120 Posts
Likes Given: 11575

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocker View Post
I was only stating my personal opinion and could care less what others do. I guess freedom of speech is restricted here also. Will not be posting again if this is what you get in return.
The First Amendment works all ways dude. You have the right to say what you said and Fatpat has a right to disagree. I see no "restriction" here at all, just a discussion. If everybody had the same opinions this would be an extremely uninteresting world my friend.

You need to grow thicker skin or something. The Constitution does not guarantee a right to not be offended.
__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
CC in Illinois? One Step Closer!! PrimePorkchop Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 6 03-09-2011 10:36 AM
One step closer Dzscubie General Shotgun Discussion 11 09-14-2010 06:59 AM
To Open Carry Supporters in Texas user4 Politics, Religion and Controversy 3 02-05-2009 02:26 PM
One Step Closer to a Police State BigO01 Politics, Religion and Controversy 26 08-04-2008 03:52 AM
Thousands sign petition to make Texas an open-carry state sculker The Club House 5 06-29-2008 07:03 PM