Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Texas is one step closer to open carry!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7351 Times on 4262 Posts
Likes Given: 9477

I just checked and it appears that you can have ammunition on you. My bad. It is a big controversy here that has been in the news for some time. Here is a news clip from my area on the subject.

Fast forward to 2:40 and it explains the reason why lawmakers took away our right to carry loaded weapons. At 3:15 it explains the local rules for law enforcement in Sunnyvale, but this is not necessarily the same statewide. The one that gets me is that you cannot carry within 1000 feet of a school. That is quite a distance. There was a guy who was arrested while walking his dog in San Jose because he was a block away from a school and open carrying. Mind you, he had to walk all the way around the block before he would have been able to enter the campus, the 1000 feet is technically a linear distance from the edge of the school campus and so you do not have to be able to actually see the school within 1000 feet. I have heard cops say that according to their interpretation a citizen who lives across the street from a school cannot legally carry inside their own home because they are within 1000 feet of a school.

There was even a school district here in CA that enacted a district-wide ban on all guns on school property which required anybody with a gun (including law enforcement officers) to turn their weapon in to the school principal while they were on campus. It was later modified to allow law enforcement officers to carry on campus, but can you believe it?

I am all for shall issue CCW and I feel that loaded open carry should be legal as well so that people do not get busted if their CC weapon is seen by somebody. To have one without the other just gives the cops that much more power over you.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:12 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I think you can carry a baseball bat in kalifornia but no baseball or glove.
Yup. That's about what it amounts to. Crazy! LOL

Join Lone Star Citizens' Defense League and help us to restore your Constitutional Rights in Texas.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:46 AM   #13

"]Vikingdad;470982]I just checked and it appears that you can have ammunition on you

Wait, let me see if I got this straight,........you can open carry, but not loaded, and you can't be within 1000 ft of a school,..I mean, you could just be driving by on a street a block away, not knowing the school was there, and get stopped for traffic stop, and be arrested for carrying close to a school.
Is that about it ? That's the most asinine thing I've ever heard,.......but it is Kalifornia,..

Old 04-10-2011, 01:08 AM   #14

That is accurate. The laws out here are so confusing that the cops often get confused by them. I am sure it works both ways, where cops bust people for things that are legal and don't bust people when they could. It is about as messed up as it can get but yet our representatives in Sacramento continue to pass more laws restricting our gun rights.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:59 PM   #15

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 52

WOW, very interesting video there Vikingdad. You can OC but your weapon has to be unloaded? Do you think the bad guy is walking around with a unloaded gun? I think not.

I am so glad that I live here in Az where you can carry anyway you want. OC, CCW, CCW with out permit.
I especially loved the comment about the "automatic" weapon. When are reporters going to learn that most military rifles they see in law abiding hand are going to be semi.

I said it before and I will say it again. If you get tired of all the bull in your state move to Az.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:26 AM   #16

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Sorry about California's screwed up gun laws, I hope that some day they will be as free as the rest of our's are. Wish there was some way to really help.

I hope that Texas get its open carry law soon.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 07-05-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:44 AM   #17

I will happen as soon as they vote out the people who do not want them to OC or CCW or have any weapons. Only "We the people" can make them change.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #18

One of the more maddening things about CA is that CCW permitting is up to the individual Sheriff (if you live in unincorporated County like me) or the police chief of the municipality where you reside. Some of them have a Shall Issue policy (I hear that Sacramento County has recently gone that direction) and some have a virtually "No Issue" policy (like Sheriff Laurie Smith here in Santa Clara County). The clincher is that a permit issued anywhere in the State of CA is good throughout the state.

One thing that is not clear to me is that in San Francisco they passed a law banning guns in SF city/county, so does that mean that someone with a CCW permit issued elsewhere cannot have a gun?

Old 07-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #19

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

[QUOTE=Vikingdad;534980]in San Francisco they passed a law banning guns in SF city/count. QUOTE]

What? How can they do that? It completely violates the 2nd amendment and any court in America would agree with that.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:22 AM   #20

That is what I thought as well. But more and more cities are tying to push the limit on what they can do and can not do. Look at D.C. and what happened there. Then look at what Chicago did in light of the ruling by the Supreme Court.