Texas Non-Resident CCW

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Texas Non-Resident CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Texas Non-Resident CCW

I have family in Texas and am thinking of going down for a visit for a couple of weeks.

I have my CCW in Maine, but they do not reciprocate with Texas. I'm having a hard time finding info on the procedure for a non-resident permit in Texas. Is anyone here familiar enough with it to give me a brief run down?

Also, I saw a suggestion on another forum that claimed if it the Texas procedure was too difficult, one could apply to a state that does reciprocate with Texas, then I'd be covered. Realistically, I'd like to be covered through all the states for my entire drive down there. How ridiculous it would be to have to stop at the border and keep getting my gun in & out of my trunk.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #2

Default Re: Texas Non-Resident CCW

I've read that Florida and Texas have the most reciprocating states. As I recall, Florida was better in that it had more states reciprocating. Just my recollection. NRA's site has a good guide on this.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:29 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Florida has a recepial with more states than anyone else, I THINK, and you can get a Florida for a few bucks if you already have a CCW in another state. Might be worth checking out.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 02-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #4

I have mine in Maine.

I was going to go with Pennsylvania, because they've got a relative path of reciprocal states all the way down to and including Texas (and I've got relatives in PA also), but I will give Florida a look, too. Thank you for the suggestion.

ETA: Crimies. I've been researching this non-resident carry permit for so many different states and it is downright depressing how complicated all these different states' laws are.

Last edited by themyst; 02-16-2010 at 05:15 AM.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Check out Handgunlaw.us. There's an interactive map that will show you who reciprocates with a particular state. To the left, in the navigation bar, there's an option to create your own map. You can choose which states you have (or might get) permits in, and the map will show where you're covered.

As I'm sure you already know, you're still responsible for obeying whatever laws are in place for each state (Excedrin headache number .45). The site also has pretty good information on state laws. But I would still try to find the statutes on each state's website, since those will be more up to date.

Plus, it's just a pretty informative site all around.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 02-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
Check out Handgunlaw.us. There's an interactive map that will show you who reciprocates with a particular state. To the left, in the navigation bar, there's an option to create your own map. You can choose which states you have (or might get) permits in, and the map will show where you're covered.

As I'm sure you already know, you're still responsible for obeying whatever laws are in place for each state (Excedrin headache number .45). The site also has pretty good information on state laws. But I would still try to find the statutes on each state's website, since those will be more up to date.

Plus, it's just a pretty informative site all around.
I appreciate that, utf59! Also, it's lead me to a women's gun board which I will be checking out in more detail after I get some actual work done today.