You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Texas ccl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Texas ccl

Does anyone know at what distance the paper targets are placed during the test for Texas? i found the website that has the actual laws pertaining to carrying but was unable to find this information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #2

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

They shoot (20) rounds at 3 yards, (20) rounds at 7 yards & (10) rounds at 15 yards.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. Just beginning to learn all this stuff a little overwhelming at first.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts

Don't sweat anything. Really big target and 9 hours of mind numbing lecture.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #5

Sounds a lot like going to a lecture for work. Can barely contain my excitement.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #6

The qualification is really not very difficult. They use a standard man sized sillouette target & anything inside the 8 ring counts 5 points with anything elsewhere in the sillouette counting 4 points. Shots in the white count 3 points. With any effort at all, a guy should be able to get (20) 5 pointers at 3 yards, not even using the sights & if all (20) rounds at 7 yards are in the 7 ring, you've scored 180 even if you totally miss the target with the (10) rounds at 15 yards. Passing is 175.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #7

Likes Given: 2

off topic but would of figured texas would have been easier than PA with getting CCW,we dont even have a class or qualifications...just a form and 20 bux
back on topic,im not from texas but even i think i could pass that test n im sure you are a better shot than i..dont sweat it.
Attempting to give a f*ck: ███████████████████] 99% Complete... ERROR!: Unable to give a f*ck.
"Im gonna be that guy that has the room full of guns/knifes and enough ammo to out last the oncoming zombie apocalypse :D"-ME

Old 04-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4118 Times on 2103 Posts
Likes Given: 523

There was much resistance to the Concealed Handgun Law in Texas. Many in LE believed it was a very bad idea. TX DPS (State Police) wrote the curriculuum and decided on the qual standards. You know how anal State agencies can be. It does seem like overkill, but we got the law and it has worked very well. I believe there are 300,000+CHL holders in Texas now. The legislature has been steadily relaxing the gun laws in Texas. They meet every 2 years and they make it less restrictive every time. Little steps in the right direction, cannot complain much.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #9

On the topic of chl in Texas. If and when they allow to open carry, i have gotten a lot of feed back from my friends Florida saying not to do it they are constantly being harassed by both citizens and police. Any thoughts on the possibility of that coming to fruition in texas

Old 04-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmac517 View Post
On the topic of chl in Texas. If and when they allow to open carry, i have gotten a lot of feed back from my friends Florida saying not to do it they are constantly being harassed by both citizens and police. Any thoughts on the possibility of that coming to fruition in texas

I don't know if it'll happen, but I would think that the "harassment" would go away once the new wore off. Folks in other states that have had OC for a good while report that it has become common place & no big deal. I believe the hard part will be getting people to use it. As you say, there'll be some harassment & some 'man with a gun' calls to 911 & I personally would not enjoy the gaping stares, etc. But, that's what it's going to take for the uninformed to learn that it's been made legal & get used to the idea.