Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Testing My Patience

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default Testing My Patience

OK, just a small rant here:

Yesterday we had a family gathering at my folks' house - just a nice little get together to welcome some relatives who are visiting from out of the country. So I walk into the yard, where a number of people are sitting on the patio chatting and sipping on beverages, and one of the guests (related to me through marriage) shouts out: "Hey...you've got our CPL, right?" To which I quietly nodded and then he loudly says: "So...you've got one of these", while he lifts up his shirt to expose his sidearm. This did not make me happy, but I just kind of nodded...again. He proceeded to tell me how, if anybody tried to start any s***, we had it covered...all this while swilling a beer (the law in our state says anything over .02% BA while carrying, is taboo).

Now, my family is really not into guns, though they are tolerant of such and have no problem with people owning and carrying, and I could see the uncomfortable looks they were wearing when this guy piped up - so I added nothing to the conversation, at that time.

A bit later when this guy was alone I mentioned to him about the drinking and also about the flashing of the gun and the running off at the mouth - how it just doesn't sit well with some folks. Of course I should have known better - he proceeded to tell me about his rights and how he could do whatever he wanted...blah, blah, blah...because the constitution says so (such a well-versed sort he must be).

This little note, or rant, wasn't meant to go anywhere...just to get things off my chest. There are people out there who, regardless of constitutional rights, just shouldn't be strapping on hardware. I've known this guy for years and he has always been an in-your-face sort so none of this was a surprise - but it still stinks.

Sorry guys...
Later.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

That is just another example of how the whole permission slip to carry concealed thing just makes no sense.It does little to nothing to "weed out" people that probably should not carry. So it's a 2A violation without any merit. I'll bet every one of us knows someone wit ha carry permit that you can't see how they got through the process.

Sure your guy has a right to bare arms and he also has the right to be stupid. But we as gun owners do have an obligation to adhere to some semblance of ethics.

I still believe as long as we are required to get the permission slip from government it's not really a right anyway. Because the card can be revoked just like a drivers license. That makes it a privilege to carry a weapon as you see fit. Even if the infraction that gets it pulled is not gun related. And that should infuriate every American let alone gun owners.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 09-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I am with you. Bad situation all together. I see a bad future for your guest.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 451 Times on 305 Posts

You handled it correctly did not need to draw more attention to it right at that point and yes there is dummies out there

Old 09-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #5

Liked 204 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Sure your guy has a right to bare arms and he also has the right to be stupid.
No he doesn't, not when it comes to the safety of others around him. I would have ask him for the piece as well as his car keys till he sobered up.

Jim

Old 09-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #6

Liked 2393 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

I find myself constantly walking the road between extremes.

I have to wonder how well Mr. Bigshot would really react,

if a bad situation were to present itself.

IME, you don't have to worry that much about the barking dog

at the door. It's the silent one, sleeping under the table, which

will do you in.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
No he doesn't, not when it comes to the safety of others around him. I would have ask him for the piece as well as his car keys till he sobered up.

Jim
His actions while not bright did not put anyone directly in danger. Your line of thinking is placing a punishment before an incident happened. It's no different than saying you can't have X because you might do something bad with it. I would have kept a real close eye on the guy and no I don't think people should be carrying a gun while drinking. But I also do not approve of placing a punishment on a person before they have done something.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 09-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Actually these are all good points.

DrumJunkie nailed it pretty well. He hadn't done anything really wrong...yet, and as it turns out, had he continued drinking we would have more then likely done something to dissuade him from carrying. My point was that in our state even one beer would put you over the carry limit.

This guy is loud, regardless of whether or not alcohol is involved and he has ALWAYS exhibited questionable judgement.

Also correct is the observation that, as long as we need "permission" it is not a right. That being said...how do some of these folks ever get "permission" in the first place? And so very true that these are just more examples of how ridiculous the permission system can be.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemc View Post
Actually these are all good points.

DrumJunkie nailed it pretty well. He hadn't done anything really wrong...yet, and as it turns out, had he continued drinking we would have more then likely done something to dissuade him from carrying. My point was that in our state even one beer would put you over the carry limit.

This guy is loud, regardless of whether or not alcohol is involved and he has ALWAYS exhibited questionable judgement.

Also correct is the observation that, as long as we need "permission" it is not a right. That being said...how do some of these folks ever get "permission" in the first place? And so very true that these are just more examples of how ridiculous the permission system can be.
The idea that you have laws regarding this issue he should have known better. And it could have easily got his permission slip taken away.

A simple truth is I can name more than one person that I'm not comfortable with them even owning a gun let alone carrying one. The permit system in my state can keep you from getting a permit if you owe child support. That makes little to no sense to me. The entire system only restricts what is supposed to be a right while empowering some people that probably shouldn't have a slingshot. It's a pretty messed up thing any way I look at it.

If it actually kept idiots form carrying concealed then maybe I could get past the 2A infraction. But it doesn't. So it's a violation of rights with no merit and needs tossed.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 09-09-2013 at 05:32 PM.
mikemc Likes This 
Old 09-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #10

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

You can stuff flowers up it- spray perfume on it, decorate it or just cover it up BUT a azzhole will always be a azzhole-
Best to just steer clear whenever possible

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This