Tenn Carry - Cars?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Tenn Carry - Cars?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 01:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Tenn Carry - Cars?

To anyone familiar with Tennessee's laws...

Heard that you cannot carry "loaded" in the car, and I'm not talking booze. Is this true? If it is, that really stinks. I think the car is where you have high potential of use with car jackings, parking lot issues, and the like.

Was planning on qualifying and getting the TN permit, but this doesn't sound practical at all.

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber".

Winston Churchill

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #2

Liked 258 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapking View Post
To anyone familiar with Tennessee's laws...

Heard that you cannot carry "loaded" in the car, and I'm not talking booze. Is this true? If it is, that really stinks. I think the car is where you have high potential of use with car jackings, parking lot issues, and the like.

Was planning on qualifying and getting the TN permit, but this doesn't sound practical at all.

Not True. First hand knowledge. I live in Memphis, Tennessee, and well, sort of went beyond the boundaries of the speed limit, for which I was pulled over. Certainly a mistake, I'm sure.

But, before I handed over my license, I advised the police officer that I was armed. He only asked if I had a carry permit, and continued to advise me of my infraction, for which he gave me a ticket.

He did ask, later, what I was carrying, and I told him a .357 Magnum. His eyes did get a little bigger. But, no problem.

My permit says permit to carry, it doesn't specify where no how.

Bob Wright

Old 01-10-2009, 06:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
Not True. First hand knowledge. I live in Memphis, Tennessee, and well, sort of went beyond the boundaries of the speed limit, for which I was pulled over. Certainly a mistake, I'm sure.

But, before I handed over my license, I advised the police officer that I was armed. He only asked if I had a carry permit, and continued to advise me of my infraction, for which he gave me a ticket.

He did ask, later, what I was carrying, and I told him a .357 Magnum. His eyes did get a little bigger. But, no problem.

My permit says permit to carry, it doesn't specify where no how.

Bob Wright
Actually, it is illegal to carry a loaded firearm inside your vehicle if you do not have an HCP or permit from another state that is rcognized by Tennessee.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:32 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Glock is right. Link to Tennesee gun law info:
http://www.gunlawguide.com/Tennessee.htm

Old 01-11-2009, 03:42 AM   #5

Default Glock30owner is correct

Handguns may be carried only with a permit. Without a valid Tenn permit, the gun and ammo must be stored separately and not within easy reach.

It is NEVER legal in Tenn to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in your vehicle, Carry permit or not. Carry permits are only for handguns. However, with you permit, you may carry a loaded handgun in the vehicle or on your person.

There are some restrictions, of course, but if you intend to carry a weapon, DEFINITELY get the permit! Reciprocity with some states does allow local and State LEO's to recognize out of State handgun permits. To see if your State has reciprocity with Tenn, check out Tenn.gov web site.

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #6

Liked 258 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Glock is right. Link to Tennesee gun law info:
http://www.gunlawguide.com/Tennessee.htm
Not sure who published this, but it is in error.

Tennessee does indeed have a "castle doctrine" contrary to what this post says.

Also, no permit is required to carry when hunting, for example.

Tennessee Code Annotated defines carrying a gun "with intent to go armed."

"Intent to go armed" has been defined by the State Supreme Court's decision that "....Not every removal (from the home) constitutes intent to go armed.

I did a considerable amount of research when drafting the handgun hunting laws several years ago, and conferred with the old Tennessee Game And Fish Commission, now Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, and state legislators at the time.

Bob Wright

Old 01-13-2009, 05:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
Not sure who published this, but it is in error.

Tennessee does indeed have a "castle doctrine" contrary to what this post says.

Also, no permit is required to carry when hunting, for example.

Tennessee Code Annotated defines carrying a gun "with intent to go armed."

"Intent to go armed" has been defined by the State Supreme Court's decision that "....Not every removal (from the home) constitutes intent to go armed.

I did a considerable amount of research when drafting the handgun hunting laws several years ago, and conferred with the old Tennessee Game And Fish Commission, now Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, and state legislators at the time.

Bob Wright
Thanks for that added information. I'm not a hunter, so I rarely think of handgun hunting and how laws for carrying apply.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:21 AM   #8

Thanks to all the posts here. My original post may not have been totally clear. I was indeed speaking of having a Carry Permit when carrying a loaded handgun in a car. This really puts my mind at ease. I'm for sure going to pursue the permit now. Thanks for the added info on the long gun not being loaded, permit or not.

Thanks again!

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber".

Winston Churchill

Old 03-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #9

New to the forum.

I haven't got my CCL as of yet but work in a very bad part of Nashville.

I often carry a loaded handgun ONLY in my vehicle in case of an incident. I pray I never have to use my weapon in self defense, but if I did, without a CCL, could I face severe criminal charges?

I'm planning on taking the class within 30 days and applying for my permit, but until then I'm concerned about any ramifications of how I'm carrying now.

Thank you for your input here.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:51 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 88 Times on 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmons
Handguns may be carried only with a permit. Without a valid Tenn permit, the gun and ammo must be stored separately and not within easy reach.

It is NEVER legal in Tenn to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in your vehicle, Carry permit or not. Carry permits are only for handguns. However, with you permit, you may carry a loaded handgun in the vehicle or on your person.

There are some restrictions, of course, but if you intend to carry a weapon, DEFINITELY get the permit! Reciprocity with some states does allow local and State LEO's to recognize out of State handgun permits. To see if your State has reciprocity with Tenn, check out Tenn.gov web site.

Actually in Tennessee you can carry a rifle or shotgun in your vehicle with the magazine loaded but not the chamber as long as you have a HCP.