Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Taurus TCP 738 .380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Taurus TCP 738 .380

does anyone know a good brand of ammo to use in the Taurus tcp 738 .380 I am using ppu and winchester ammo in it now and it seems to jam on the ramp so does anyone know of a better ammo it likes? I use this as my conceal weapon cause its easy to hide! thanks for the info in advance!

Fire for effect!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #2

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Are you using FMJ rounds or HP's?
If it won't feed a FMJ I'd say it's NOT a ammo issue-
Cleaning - Mag issue mabe?

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 06-26-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:39 AM   #3

Liked 213 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 15

HP ammo on many 380 can be a trial and error. Pick something and give it a try. Most any quality fmj should run in it if you stay with heavier bullet weight.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

actually I am using both I staggar them! however I know there are some ammo out there that is more rounded and shorter but I dont know what brand? I can send it in to Taurus for free repair but I have seen several people who have done the same only to get it back with the same issue.

Fire for effect!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #5

The problems of 380s. You will have to pick one fmj round and try it Find a one that runs great by it self to see if it cycle well. NO MIXING OF AMMO. Keep notes on results. I am not a fan of PPU ammo but if you find that the PPU runs 100% great don't change. If it does not cycle reliably buy a qauilty label. If its dependable with a quality fmj its time to pick a HP. You may find you have to try several to find a bullet profile your gun likes. My choice to save my life with a 380 would be a buffalo bore +P or corbon . They have a 85gr to 100 gr loads to try. If your pistol runs good with a fmj ammo then its a matter of finding a hp you can live with. If it does not run with fmj then contact taurus.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Want to fix the problem? Trade it for an LCP.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
The problems of 380s. You will have to pick one fmj round and try it Find a one that runs great by it self to see if it cycle well. NO MIXING OF AMMO. Keep notes on results. I am not a fan of PPU ammo but if you find that the PPU runs 100% great don't change. If it does not cycle reliably buy a qauilty label. If its dependable with a quality fmj its time to pick a HP. You may find you have to try several to find a bullet profile your gun likes. My choice to save my life with a 380 would be a buffalo bore +P or corbon . They have a 85gr to 100 gr loads to try. If your pistol runs good with a fmj ammo then its a matter of finding a hp you can live with. If it does not run with fmj then contact taurus.
thanks it seems to cycle better with winchester fmj than with the ppu hp however when firing its not a problem its just when you put that first round in the chamber it sometimes wants to hang up. I called Taurus and they are telling me to send it in but I am really worried if I send it in, it will only be the first of many send in's for this pistol seeing how they normally do not fix the problem the first time from what I am seeing on youtube.com But I have noticed that when I take the gun and oil it to basically its dripping on the barrel the damn thing takes that first round like a champ but I dont want a puddle in my pocket cause my pistol needs a bottle of lube on it to run. Do you think maybe its a ramp feed issue.

Fire for effect!

Old 06-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Want to fix the problem? Trade it for an LCP.
Its a good weapon not saying the LCP is not however this one just needs a little fine tunning and she will be a champ. Like I said when she gets shot she runs fine its just that first rack that gives a problem sometimes.

Fire for effect!

Old 06-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #9

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've tried lots of ammo and have found that most all high quality hp's work just fine as well as high quality jacket flat nose. Most of the full metal jacket round nose will FTE on about the third or fourth round. As long as I use Winchester HP, Remington HP, or Hornady HP I have no problem. Never, never use the cheap stuff - it just won't work. Also, I've found that a little oil on the slide after about 100 rounds also helps a lot.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #10

synical Not knowing your round count do you use the slide release or sling shot it. Try the release only . Maybe run it for a while with one round down to and see if that helps. May just need some run time to loosen up. If you have some fitz metal polish do a bit of polishing on the ramp too.