Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Taurus Public Defender vs Ruger LCP (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/taurus-public-defender-vs-ruger-lcp-33592/)

Scratchammo 10-27-2010 02:17 AM

Taurus Public Defender vs Ruger LCP

Well this is my first thread. I've owned a Public Defender since it arrived on the shelves. One of the reasons I bought it was due to the ease of hitting the target in a stress fire situation with a Winchester 3 pellet as the first shot due to the wide spread & the other 4 chambers loaded with Federal Premium 000. I've read the review on Shooting Illustrated & it said the Federal load was preferred. It averaged 745 fps which might have read low due to the pettern through the chrono. The problem I've seen with the ballistics is that the pellets are only about 70 grains apiece which at that low velocity would only produce about 86-90 lbs of energy per pellet at the muzzle. I noticed even the lighter 225 grain .45lc loads only fly about 700 fps from a 2" bbl which is only 245 lbs of energy.

So anyway I've been looking at the new Ruger LCP & I like the idea of carrying that around instead of the bulky Judge. I know it's "only" a .380 but from what I've seen as far as ballistics go, the Judge doesn't seem to be much more beneficial to this little mouse gun. Also being a southpaw makes the already hard to speed load Judge even harder. What do y'all think? I'm also open to opinions for any other southpaw friendly ccw pistols.

GordyMathes 10-27-2010 02:57 AM

I just bought an LCP and love it, just installed a Crimson laser on it and if works great, the bad is no safety and long trigger pull.

ajbeau 10-27-2010 03:00 AM

The LCP is the easiest gun to conceal , 7 rounds and an extra mag ,and it all fits in your back pocket!!!

Scratchammo 10-27-2010 04:33 AM

Awesome

Thanks for the responses so far, I'm definitely leaning away from my PD.

I'm also considering a Kel Tec P11. Any thoughts?

ajbeau 10-27-2010 12:48 PM

Wow! Exactly the two guns I use . The Lcp will work with just about anything you wear, The P11 is a little bigger and heavier. With shirt un-tucked and a cheap belt slide it is very concealable. I am a jeans and tee-shirt kind of guy, I also use the Keltek belt clip sometimes. Also put one on my lcp. It sits in your waistband so low that you can even tuck in your shirt and blouse it over the gun. I bought the p 11 new and used it at the range once. A trigger spring broke after 20 rounds, I was VERY disappointed, but sent it back to Keltek. Within two weeks got it back and have since put over 500 rounds thru it without any problems at all. For the price i do not think you can beat it!

adjohns3 10-29-2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratchammo (Post 375276)
Thanks for the responses so far, I'm definitely leaning away from my PD.

I'm also considering a Kel Tec P11. Any thoughts?

Any thoughts for a REVOLVER...like a LCR with CT's. Down side is only five rounds, but a lot of quality.

:D

Scratchammo 10-31-2010 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adjohns3 (Post 376882)
Any thoughts for a REVOLVER...like a LCR with CT's. Down side is only five rounds, but a lot of quality.

:D

I have considered the LCR but my problem would be reloading. I also looked the Charter Arms lefty revolver but that thing feels unusual to me being that I've never used a mirrored wheel gun before. There's a gun show tomorrow, I'll try a few out.

freefall 10-31-2010 08:25 PM

I own a PF9, I hear the trigger is much nicer than the P11. It's also slimmer. I heart mine.

Scratchammo 11-01-2010 11:08 PM

Made up my mind

The gun show yesterday was the biggest waste of $7.00 so I decided to jump back online looking for a full size duty pistol for my security job when I stumbled on this on the new Sig P290. It's so new that the price hasn't been announced but I'll be one of the first to own one. Thanks for the posts, I sold the Public Defender & told a buddy about y'alls opinions & he now owns an LCP.