Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Target ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Target ammo

Know this has probably been discused but what ammo is good for self defense and cheap enough to shoot a box or two a week to stay on top of my game? I carry my high point 9mm until Christmas. Then getting a kimber custom2. The ammo is not really a big problem as of now but when I get the kimber then we could be talking 60+ a week any one got any suggestion

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #2

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The least expensive SD ammo I use is either federal HST or Speer Gold Dot which you can find for $25-26 per box of fifty online. Not sure if you call that cheap or not as it's still around 2X the cost of the Winchester FMJ I usually use for practice.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #3

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Most people are not going to burn through a few boxes of high dollar SD ammo every week at the range. What I try to do is find a bullet weight that is close to my SD ammo and a powder load that is close as well. I reload so this is easier for me. There is nothing wrong with using cheap ammo for plinking/training. I run about 10-20 rounds of premium SD through my carry gun per month.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #4

I get some decent ammo for home and have a mag ready and when I San to go to the range I buy cheaper stuff for plonking and such and clen it when I get home. That way I know there is always a box at home loaded and ready to go if needed congrats on your soon kimber!

Old 09-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

The more experienced shooters may disagree with me, but I wouldn't think you should have to shoot a box or two of your expensive SD ammo every week. I know you should practice with it, but every week & a whole box or two? How about once a month & just 1 or 2 mag loads, with standard FMJ in between?

Old 09-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #6

Liked 101 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 219

sounds like a good reason to get into reloading

Old 09-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #7

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coddy212
Know this has probably been discused but what ammo is good for self defense and cheap enough to shoot a box or two a week to stay on top of my game? I carry my high point 9mm until Christmas. Then getting a kimber custom2. The ammo is not really a big problem as of now but when I get the kimber then we could be talking 60+ a week any one got any suggestion
Nope, never been discussed. Unless you are a pro shooter, NO ONE does what your thinking. It's not practical and has no additional benefit.

If you are a pro, then your sponsor pays, and you get the ammo you agreed to shoot.

Btw - Christmas can't get here fast enough for you!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #8

Liked 246 Times on 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben
The least expensive SD ammo I use is either federal HST or Speer Gold Dot which you can find for $25-26 per box of fifty online. Not sure if you call that cheap or not as it's still around 2X the cost of the Winchester FMJ I usually use for practice.
I have fedreals hydro shock sd hp ammo that comes in 25 rd box while it is very pretty to look at it is very expensive being over $1 a round but i wanted to try just one round with rhe rest of my ammo. It complety wowed me. Not only did it feel diffrent(in a good way) but that was the most accurate 45 roynd ive ever shot. Proly more accurate than my. not only did i nail thr bullseye but i made it rifht in the middle of the eye at 20 yards. Man i wish i could afford to shoot those every range trip

Old 09-28-2012, 04:13 AM   #9

Thanks guys. I think I'm just gonna try and find the cheapest and closes spec ammo I can to my carry ammo..... Found out today that my kimber is on back order for at least 3 months. Sales man ( a good friend of mine) said last one he ordered for someone said 2 months back order n didn't get it for five months ugh!!!! So I'm thinking about getting a cheap but reliable 1911. I hear that ria has some cheap priced but well made 1911. Does anyone got one and if so is it a good reliable, and accurate gun? If so which model did you get

Old 09-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #10

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coddy212
Thanks guys. I think I'm just gonna try and find the cheapest and closes spec ammo I can to my carry ammo..... Found out today that my kimber is on back order for at least 3 months. Sales man ( a good friend of mine) said last one he ordered for someone said 2 months back order n didn't get it for five months ugh!!!! So I'm thinking about getting a cheap but reliable 1911. I hear that ria has some cheap priced but well made 1911. Does anyone got one and if so is it a good reliable, and accurate gun? If so which model did you get
Don't settle. Be patient. Get what you really want!

Otherwise you will sell the alternative at a loss only to then buy the one you want.

Don't you have Gunshows in your area?

Even Commiefornia has gun shows..