Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Target ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/target-ammo-73222/)

coddy212 09-26-2012 07:20 PM

Target ammo

Know this has probably been discused but what ammo is good for self defense and cheap enough to shoot a box or two a week to stay on top of my game? I carry my high point 9mm until Christmas. Then getting a kimber custom2. The ammo is not really a big problem as of now but when I get the kimber then we could be talking 60+ a week :( any one got any suggestion

mdauben 09-26-2012 08:29 PM

The least expensive SD ammo I use is either federal HST or Speer Gold Dot which you can find for $25-26 per box of fifty online. Not sure if you call that cheap or not as it's still around 2X the cost of the Winchester FMJ I usually use for practice.

JD1969 09-26-2012 09:01 PM

Most people are not going to burn through a few boxes of high dollar SD ammo every week at the range. What I try to do is find a bullet weight that is close to my SD ammo and a powder load that is close as well. I reload so this is easier for me. There is nothing wrong with using cheap ammo for plinking/training. I run about 10-20 rounds of premium SD through my carry gun per month.

metalry23 09-26-2012 09:01 PM

I get some decent ammo for home and have a mag ready and when I San to go to the range I buy cheaper stuff for plonking and such and clen it when I get home. That way I know there is always a box at home loaded and ready to go if needed congrats on your soon kimber!

gollygee 09-26-2012 09:37 PM

The more experienced shooters may disagree with me, but I wouldn't think you should have to shoot a box or two of your expensive SD ammo every week. I know you should practice with it, but every week & a whole box or two? How about once a month & just 1 or 2 mag loads, with standard FMJ in between?

phildenton 09-27-2012 06:47 AM

sounds like a good reason to get into reloading

mudpupp 09-27-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coddy212
Know this has probably been discused but what ammo is good for self defense and cheap enough to shoot a box or two a week to stay on top of my game? I carry my high point 9mm until Christmas. Then getting a kimber custom2. The ammo is not really a big problem as of now but when I get the kimber then we could be talking 60+ a week :( any one got any suggestion

Nope, never been discussed. Unless you are a pro shooter, NO ONE does what your thinking. It's not practical and has no additional benefit.

If you are a pro, then your sponsor pays, and you get the ammo you agreed to shoot.

Btw - Christmas can't get here fast enough for you!

Ultimate_sig 09-27-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdauben
The least expensive SD ammo I use is either federal HST or Speer Gold Dot which you can find for $25-26 per box of fifty online. Not sure if you call that cheap or not as it's still around 2X the cost of the Winchester FMJ I usually use for practice.

I have fedreals hydro shock sd hp ammo that comes in 25 rd box while it is very pretty to look at it is very expensive being over $1 a round but i wanted to try just one round with rhe rest of my ammo. It complety wowed me. Not only did it feel diffrent(in a good way) but that was the most accurate 45 roynd ive ever shot. Proly more accurate than my. not only did i nail thr bullseye but i made it rifht in the middle of the eye at 20 yards. Man i wish i could afford to shoot those every range trip

coddy212 09-28-2012 04:13 AM

Thanks guys. I think I'm just gonna try and find the cheapest and closes spec ammo I can to my carry ammo..... Found out today that my kimber is on back order for at least 3 months. Sales man ( a good friend of mine) said last one he ordered for someone said 2 months back order n didn't get it for five months ugh!!!! So I'm thinking about getting a cheap but reliable 1911. I hear that ria has some cheap priced but well made 1911. Does anyone got one and if so is it a good reliable, and accurate gun? If so which model did you get

mudpupp 09-28-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coddy212
Thanks guys. I think I'm just gonna try and find the cheapest and closes spec ammo I can to my carry ammo..... Found out today that my kimber is on back order for at least 3 months. Sales man ( a good friend of mine) said last one he ordered for someone said 2 months back order n didn't get it for five months ugh!!!! So I'm thinking about getting a cheap but reliable 1911. I hear that ria has some cheap priced but well made 1911. Does anyone got one and if so is it a good reliable, and accurate gun? If so which model did you get

Don't settle. Be patient. Get what you really want!

Otherwise you will sell the alternative at a loss only to then buy the one you want.

Don't you have Gunshows in your area?

Even Commiefornia has gun shows..