Taking my Concealed weapons today!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Taking my Concealed weapons today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Taking my Concealed weapons today!

So today I am going to a gun range/store/education place....And going to take my concealed weapon class. I have seen a few pictures of what you guys carry, but I was wondering how good is the .38 special?

I was originally looking at the Kel-tec pf9. But after yesterdays visit to the range there was two women shooting the Ruger lcr and they where pretty poor shoots, but the gun was impressive.

So the question is would you rather carry a 9mm or .38 special?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2777 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Depends on I am dressing for the day. Somestimes I use shoulder holster, sometimes IWB, sometimes in jacket pocket, and sometimes attache case.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd prefer 9MM, but don't feel naked when carrying .380. I also prefer having 33 rounds on me than 15.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 05-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Just wait for the Elise Arr fans here. There are plenty. For defense, good .38 Special HP rounds have been dropping bad guys for years. Add in the +P loads, and you have a great defensive round, imo.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I carry a .357 and nothing less, but that is just because I'm most effective with revolvers and shy away from the "minor" calibers that are linked with most carry weapons.

I love the .38 special. There are many great factory defense loads out there that are excellent performers. The LCR is much more pleasant to shoot than most of your compact 9mm pistols, (especially Kel-Tec) but I prefer a steel frame, so I carry a SP101. It is one of my all time favorites and can take hot .357 loads like nothing or any .38 special load if you prefer that too.

Just my opinion though.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Here in Florida you guys don't understand that our summer lasts 9-10 months. (South Florida anyway)

When your everyday clothing is a bathing suit and flip flops, dressing up usually means putting on a t-shirt and evening wear is a Tommy Bahama silk camp shirt. (still the bathing suit and FFs)

My Michigan EDC was my Colt Government. Easy to do when summer lasts two weeks at the end of July. I have been in FL for some time now and it was a real adjustment.

I carried my Defender as long as I could but in shorts, without a belt, you just can't keep your pants up. (Not a real issue in some neighborhoods. Pants on the ground.)

I carried my Mauser 1914 for some time but wasn't confident with the .32 ACP.

Then I got my Elsie Ahrrr and things felt much better.

The LCR is a natural point shooter providing me excellent accuracy.

The +P is a great round and with light clothing, not a penetration issue down here.

For the same reason, I feel comfortable walking the dogs carrying my daughter's Elsie Pea. I'm not a big .380 fan but it works fine as my neighborhood stroll piece.

When I'm wearing jeans, on goes the xbreed-ST with my Browning HP. If I'm going to Miami/Dade, in goes my Colt Government and the x2 mag pouch and the .38 as a BUG.

In South Florida, carrying the .38 LCR in shorts will serve you well and provide you with the element of surprise and advantage. As always, stay sharp!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Like Cane, I live in a beastly hot place and shorts and a t-shirt is the dress of choice. Little guns are a must here as a 2 lb 1911 just doesn't work without a good gun belt. I just got the Sig P238 for my hot weather carry and it being a .380 doesn't bother me a bit. If you can do your part - most mouse gun calibers will do their part...

img_p238-x.jpg  

Old 05-10-2010, 01:27 AM   #8

The two rounds are gonna do about the same. And like NGIB said, if you can do your part, the gun will too..... meaning shot placement is paramount. Try shooting some pocket rockets before buying. You might love the looks of that LCP, but might shoot something else a lot better. Personally, I carry a 9, but it's due to my personal preference, and work has an effect on that. If I could, I'd carry a M2!

Old 05-10-2010, 01:46 AM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchahi View Post
So today I am going to a gun range/store/education place....And going to take my concealed weapon class.
Please read this:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/read-before-you-decide-carry-11962/#post272153

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-10-2010, 02:48 AM   #10

Likes Given: 17

Very good advise, thanks.

Tags
kel-tec, ruger, ruger lcr