Tactical Wal-Martian - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Tactical Wal-Martian

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 588 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
I honestly do not care if someone open carries. That is their right. I highly suggest training in situational awareness and gun retention. Would you put someone behind the wheel of a car without training? I do see the relevance in this question. Therefore, I put out the question of training......is it important? Does it save lives? What training is necessary?
So.. Are we suggesting training just for OC or carrying at all...? I'm personally in favor of firearms training and practice in general but every time training is suggested or that it's a common sense and compared to driving the right Vs privilege argument takes center stage and the importance of knowing SA and training takes a back seat.

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22395 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

does OC make one more or less of a target? honestly i don't know. it's possible that a criminal element may want to remove someone they consider the greatest risk first, and someone they see carrying would possibly be their greatest risk. but criminals for the most part are not the smartest people to begin with. this is just a plain stupid scenario for someone with some common sense. okay, you see one guy open carrying, and as a smarter person, i would have to wonder how many are carrying concealed.

criminals are stupid to begin with and continue in doing stupid things. prisons are full of stupid criminals who got caught simply because they lack the ability to think things through intelligently. the few who get away with a criminal act, IMO are stupid too, just lucky, but they too usually get caught and guess what? usually from doing something stupid.

open carrying just in itself will not deter criminal acts if people don't practice situational awareness. a person not using situational awareness and open carrying probably thinks just carrying a gun will deter a criminal act? this is a wrong attitude to have makes that person a possible victim as well. these people really need to re-evaluate carrying in the first place, or get more training.

situational awareness, is paying attention to what is going around you and watching the people around you and paying attention to detail.
JonM Likes This 
Old 12-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3869 Times on 2307 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Deadspot. I believe training overall is important.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #24

Liked 1341 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
So.. Are we suggesting training just for OC or carrying at all...? I'm personally in favor of firearms training and practice in general but every time training is suggested or that it's a common sense and compared to driving the right Vs privilege argument takes center stage and the importance of knowing SA and training takes a back seat.
Just spitballing here… So driving is a right. You have to be trained, and pass tests, etc. Why is it not a right? Why is the training required? Because it can be dangerous, and to a certain degree requires some learned skills. Well, it's the same thing for guns. It occurs to me that when the 2nd was written, it was way more common for people to be trained from a young age to handle guns. (I may be wrong) So, "training" in regards to firearms was more "built in" to daily life. This is not true in most cases today. Times have changed. So, while technically a Right, part of me has somewhat of a hard time arguing. But part of me says no, too.
Possibly, there should be no mandatory anything, except possibly a "Terms of Agreement", like when you agree to this forums' rules, that says "Do whatever you want, but if something goes wrong, and you declined to be trained, we WILL throw the book at you."

Just a thought.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #25

Liked 588 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Just spitballing here… So driving is a right. You have to be trained, and pass tests, etc. Why is it not a right? Why is the training required? Because it can be dangerous, and to a certain degree requires some learned skills. Well, it's the same thing for guns. It occurs to me that when the 2nd was written, it was way more common for people to be trained from a young age to handle guns. (I may be wrong) So, "training" in regards to firearms was more "built in" to daily life. This is not true in most cases today. Times have changed. So, while technically a Right, part of me has somewhat of a hard time arguing. But part of me says no, too. Possibly, there should be no mandatory anything, except possibly a "Terms of Agreement", like when you agree to this forums' rules, that says "Do whatever you want, but if something goes wrong, and you declined to be trained, we WILL throw the book at you." Just a thought.
driving is not a right, it's decidedly a privilege that must be earned.

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #26
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3502 Times on 1933 Posts
Likes Given: 1021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
does OC make one more or less of a target? honestly i don't know. it's possible that a criminal element may want to remove someone they consider the greatest risk first, and someone they see carrying would possibly be their greatest risk. but criminals for the most part are not the smartest people to begin with. this is just a plain stupid scenario for someone with some common sense. okay, you see one guy open carrying, and as a smarter person, i would have to wonder how many are carrying concealed.

criminals are stupid to begin with and continue in doing stupid things. prisons are full of stupid criminals who got caught simply because they lack the ability to think things through intelligently. the few who get away with a criminal act, IMO are stupid too, just lucky, but they too usually get caught and guess what? usually from doing something stupid.

open carrying just in itself will not deter criminal acts if people don't practice situational awareness. a person not using situational awareness and open carrying probably thinks just carrying a gun will deter a criminal act? this is a wrong attitude to have makes that person a possible victim as well. these people really need to re-evaluate carrying in the first place, or get more training.

situational awareness, is paying attention to what is going around you and watching the people around you and paying attention to detail.
There are lots of stupid criminals but there are some smart ones too. They dont get caught and their crimes are not haphazard or spontaneous. Planning and execution are necessary in everything that is successful and crime is no different. Google unsolved crimes sometime.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Just spitballing here… So driving is a right. You have to be trained, and pass tests, etc. Why is it not a right? Why is the training required? Because it can be dangerous, and to a certain degree requires some learned skills. Well, it's the same thing for guns. It occurs to me that when the 2nd was written, it was way more common for people to be trained from a young age to handle guns. (I may be wrong) So, "training" in regards to firearms was more "built in" to daily life. This is not true in most cases today. Times have changed. So, while technically a Right, part of me has somewhat of a hard time arguing. But part of me says no, too.
Possibly, there should be no mandatory anything, except possibly a "Terms of Agreement", like when you agree to this forums' rules, that says "Do whatever you want, but if something goes wrong, and you declined to be trained, we WILL throw the book at you."

Just a thought.
driving is not a right, but a privelage. travel as a free citizen is a right anywhere within this country. now you can travel by bus, or walk or on horseback and get anywhere you need or want to. but driving a car is a privelaged mode of transportation. it cannot be equated to the 2nd amendment.

people should have some form of training with firearms, but IMO it should never be made mandatory. when it requires a permit or training before it is allowed to be execised, it is no longer a right, but a privelage that can be taken away at the whim of those who decide for whatever reasons, they don't want you to execise that privelage anymore.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #28

Liked 408 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 75

First story Jag posted stated a 21 yr old male walking down the street at 4 a.m. while open carrying. My first thought was WTH?

There is no open carry where I live, but it there was, and I was off my property, my personal opinion is that it would be situational. I am speaking for me. I'm not sure of the mind set of someone who would shoulder and waistband carry open with multiple mags. Yes, you had better increase your awareness; folks will sure be aware of you.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
There are lots of stupid criminals but there are some smart ones too. They dont get caught and their crimes are not haphazard or spontaneous. Planning and execution are necessary in everything that is successful and crime is no different. Google unsolved crimes sometime.
i agree. but those are a definate minority. IMO, there are way more stupid criminals than smart and well organized criminals.

i love a good heist film where the criminals use intelligence and planning to commit a robbery. i actually root for the robbers!

Old 12-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #30

Liked 2224 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Open carry has always been legal here in NC. Unless I go to restaurant that is frequented by hunters during hunting season I seldom see anyone open carry. There are a couple storekeepers who open carry, most of the time people open carry when they are out for a walk. You don't see open carry or exposed firearms in Walmart or the local malls. 25 years ago it was common to see long guns in window of pickup trucks. You don't see a window mount gun rack anymore, much less a gun in the window.