Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Tactical Vest for Home Defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Tactical Vest for Home Defense?

I recently watched a youtube video that gave me an idea. A Tactical Vest could be used to support Home Defense. It always comes down to personal preference, but think about it. If for any reason you have to get up in the middle of the night in your house because of a potential threat, and you are in just your boxers, you could slip on a tactical vest that is ready at the bedside. This vest could have tools, med-kits, and of course your gun with extra mags. The light-weight vest could be some kind of barrier that would provide some defense for you too (not bullet proof though, but maybe some protection against impact), especially if all you are wearing at the time is your boxers. hand-cuffs are another potential forum topic, but you could have hand-cuffs in the vest for securing the bad guy to keep him at bay until Law Enforcement arrives (I'm no cop, but with my Navy experience, I learned how to use "zip-ties" a form of hand-cuffs). I've been thinking about this and want to get some opinions from everyone on this forum. What do you think?

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Sounds like a good idea, draw up some specks, do some experimenting and make a working product model. Report back here with pictures of final working product and detailed directions of use and its functions. Then the critiques will begin.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Sounds like a good idea, draw up some specks, do some experimenting and make a working product model. Report back here with pictures of final working product and detailed directions of use and its functions. Then the critiques will begin.

Jack
That's an excellent idea. I should patent my own model.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #4

Tactical Vest on EvilBay

You can always start with a good base model then just add in components you feel are necessary. The Rifle Mag pouches could be used for other things as I would think that you wouldn't need anything more than the extra pistol mags and the extra shot shells in the loops. Quick Clot, gauze, ace wrap, flash light, your cell phone, and a good knife are a few things that come to mind.

My one concern would be the legal ramifications of having this kit ready. You are well within you rights to assemble and own it. Of course, that doesn't mean you won't be portrayed as a guy looking for a fight by the bad guy's attorney.

Their argument could be that pistol in the nightstand would be reasonable self defense preparation. Grabbing a shotgun within reach would be reasonable self defense preparation. Getting up and strapping on a tactical vest and/or grabbing multiple weapons is looking for and wanting a fight. This could raise reasonable doubt as to the validity of your actions.

These are not my beliefs, just trying to think of how this would play out.

"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents." - Winston Churchill

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

Old 08-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #5

You have a very good point, Caliche. I forget to think what a court would think of the situation. I think it's good to have a pistol/shotgun nearby as you suggest, but it's also great to make sure there is a first aid kit nearby as well. I know I went off subject, but I thought I'd throw that out there too.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:24 PM   #6

For home defense? I'm not sure who would throw on a vest and then go see whats going on. More power to you if thats what want. However, for home defense you want to stop the threat, not stop world violence.

S.S.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 PM   #7

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Well, there's your first two critiques, and you have not even put pencil to paper yet!

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-18-2009, 11:20 PM   #8

Liked 85 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I can see drawback with this as time being the limiting factor. Normally it will be dark in your room when the BG enters your house. It will take too much time to put it on and you will be making some (if just a little) noise (bad thing). Your attention, when a BG enters your home, should be on him and any other noises that you might hear, not getting dressed. Things will happen quickly in these situations. Your first priority is to be armed , focused and aware of your surroundings.

Jim....................

Old 08-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

It's a good idea on paper, but I don't see the use in the real world. You may literally only have seconds to respond (even if you don't your should still respond like you only have a matter of seconds).

Clint Smith came showed a good idea of having something light that can go around your neck in a pinch.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:02 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In my house, I have around 5 seconds to respond to someone breaking down my front door to the time they enter the bedroom/living areas. That's just enough time for me to jump out of bed and grab my Glock 23, tactical flashlight, and adopt a defensive posture for some serious shooting. For me, a vest just wouldn't be practical...