a tactical pen??? really??? - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

a tactical pen??? really???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorman18

Yeah, thanks for the sarcasm. This was my position; I'm 62 years old, I was in Canada where you can't carry a gun, a knife bigger than a penknife, or even pepper spray. So what's YOUR brilliant easy solution? Sorry, I couldn't learn Shaolin Kung Fu or Gracie JiuJitsu in 2 weeks. Suggestions?
Move to a country where you can carry guns, and we dont say "aboot".

Old 11-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #72

Alright, I looked at a few different videos showing the possible defensive uses of these pens. It's not meant to stab, necessarily, but rather jab, and do so continuously. Also it can provide one with an extension to their standard grip, or fist, giving a tool for prying and poking soft spots to either overcome holds or create your own with more efficiency. This is where a plastic pen could possibly snap. Now could doesn't at all mean would, but why take the chance, if you're going to carry a pen anyway, which I do, why not have one that could provide more defensive properties? Plus why use one of my expensive hardwood pieces and risk beaming them when a decent aluminum one can be had for under 20...

I also learned to keep it simple with these. When each end is something that has a defensive purpose you have nothing left to use for leverage yourself, without risking doing equal damage to you. I've decided I'm getting two.

Now, all that said, they really only have true value when the one wielding them has a broad knowledge of pressure points and the application of defense using them, but there are always the eyes and throat which everyone knows, and why risk jamming your fingers when your super cool pen can do it for ya.

I see the light. Hahahahaha

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 11-24-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:50 AM   #73
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3193 Times on 1930 Posts
Likes Given: 3074

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
When each end is something that has a defensive purpose you have nothing left to use for leverage yourself, without risking doing equal damage to you.
Most of the ones I've seen have a pointy end and a flat end. Put thumb on flat end and you can probably draw blood with each stroke. If you know pressure points, etc. they can be much more effective. But in untrained hands, they're still better than untrained BARE hands.

Glad you've seen the light!
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:40 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota
Most of the ones I've seen have a pointy end and a flat end. Put thumb on flat end and you can probably draw blood with each stroke. If you know pressure points, etc. they can be much more effective. But in untrained hands, they're still better than untrained BARE hands.

Glad you've seen the light!
There are some with pointed end and glass breaker end which would leave both parties in pain. I love the multitool function of those, but bad idea for defense purpose. Also noted that one should concentrate on finding a pen with screwed cap. Those with twist and spring actions are only possible cause for slippage during defensive use. Too, I'm not at all a fan of the cap clips, as they also might prove to be obstructive and flesh treating to the users' hand. Still, I'd rather gouge a wee bit of my hand while striking my attacker into an incapacitated state than rely on something less capable of defending me.

Another thought and use was as a simple fistpack, if nothing else, so it really does have value to anyone.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:02 AM   #75

Just picked up these 2 today...

S&W M&P SDP
smith-wesson-tactical-pen-m-p2-open.jpg

Schrade Tactical 2
schrade-tactical-pen-2-silver-open.jpg

And, while I was there, just because it was so cute...

Fury Kubotan
forumrunner_20121124_200014.jpg

Hahahaha I'm so impulsive. Terrible I tell ya. Me and online shopping is a real bad combo!

Self taken shots to follow, once they arrive.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:24 AM   #76

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox

Move to a country where you can carry guns, and we dont say "aboot".
I live in Texas.

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 11-25-2012, 04:44 AM   #77

Quote:

I live in Texas.
Ah must've misread, you were visiting good ole Canadia then eh? Texas is a fine land, loved Austin, much like my Portland, but with prettier women per capita.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #78
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2475 Times on 1502 Posts
Likes Given: 13603

I was once told by a wise old man (my father's CO when he was in the corp) that the most dangerous weapon is the human mind. In a your life hangs in the balance fight anything is a weapon. With that in mind, I started carrying metal pens when I was in highschool. When used in conjunction with the pressure points my dad taught me, they has been an effective conflict resolution tool. I still will never refer to then as "tactical", but having one on me have saved my @ss once or twice.

One of my friends and I teach a self defense course to people with physical disabilities ( we are both amputees, and I am blind in one eye, a life changing injury plants a huge seed of doubt in your mind when it comes to defending yourself and those you care about). Part of what we teach is that anything can be used as a weapon. There are several ways to defend yourself with anything from a roll of quarters to a cane with a hooked handle. Car keys are a handy weapon when used on the soft spots, rolled coin is a suitable replacement for brass knukles, and an ice scapper can leave one he!! of a gouge on flesh. I will probably look into a few of these tactical pens for my wife and daughter. They are both at the school during the week, and I personally would feel a lot better knowing that they have a tool that can be used as a weapon, just in case. The biggest thing that my friend and I preach in class is to avoid trouble if possible, but be prepared if trouble finds you. These pens are far better than nothing more than your bare hands if a problem arises.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Last edited by kfox75; 11-25-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #79

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Ah must've misread, you were visiting good ole Canadia then eh? Texas is a fine land, loved Austin, much like my Portland, but with prettier women per capita.
Yes, the Canada trip was 5 days on a cruise ship. Great food, great ports of call, great entertainment, terrible coffee.

I will not be visiting Mexico anytime soon, even though it is much closer to Texas...

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 11-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #80

Quote:
I will not be visiting Mexico anytime soon, even though it is much closer to Texas...
Don't blame ya one bit.