Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > a tactical pen??? really???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Yah, when they show up at Dollar General I will get one. Hell, when they are $1 each I might buy 5.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #12

Liked 292 Times on 221 Posts

S&W makes pens.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default tactical pen

someone once said "the pen is mightier than the sword. It is true,
ask any legislator.!

Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #14
That didn't last long... Flyers during Shero's era!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1434 Times on 873 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I travel internationally for my company. Most of the places I go are very safe as long as I stay in my hotel or a very nearby restaurant. But if I go out for any personal entertainment I am at risk.

TSA doesn't see 230 gr of act right quite the same way we do. Hell, I had them take away one of the items in my toiletries kit. It was that tiny 1" long "knife" that is barely adequate for cutting the thin plastic cover off a can of shoe shine. Comes in a set of 4 items also including tweezers, toe nail clippers and fingernail clippers. You could cut your finger clean off with that "sword" ... but only if you applied it with a 5 lb sledge! I have butter knives are MUCH sharper than this was. If they won't let that useless piece of galvanized junk through, they certainly won't allow any useful edged weapon.

Until I got my tactical pen, my only defensive weapon was my key ring that I keep on the end of a short lanyard in my pocket. The keys could be used as a flail. Now I carry two defensive weapons even when traveling internationally.

Yeah, I'd love to be able to carry my sidearm to Japan or Korea or Brazil. But that's probably not going to happen in my lifetime. So, I make the best I can of a bad situation.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 3rd FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/3rd-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-12-13-2014-a-98426

marlin-owner Likes This 
Old 11-14-2012, 02:10 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

i see how it can be useful. they are not classified as weapons. there pens made of really hard metal you can defend yourself with. i would love to see on the news, such and such wards off attacker with a pen... its a good idea...

Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 AM   #16

Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
I also like to keep some tactical snot handy this time of year; mess with me in a unarmed situation, and i will send a mucous missile your way if that is all i have.
Classy, like calf tattoos. Hahahahaa

Reminds me of a scene in some stupid show my parents watched. Li'l kid in bathroom using urinal, two other kids walk in and, seen as a threat, the first one turns toward them and warns them that his "weapon" is loaded and ready. Pretty sure he then pees on them, seems like a great defense to me. If nothing else it'll be one of those "What the hell just happened" moments, stunning your attacker(s) briefly, giving you time to take other defensive or evasive actions.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #17

Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

These things are just a novelty. Any pen or pencil can be used as a "last ditch" self-defensive tool. If you're going to have a pen on ya anyway and you enjoy the novelty of spending too much money on something no more useful than the apendix, this product is for you.

Personally, I'd rather do the good old groin kick, follwed by an eye gouge, then stand there, admire your handy work, call the cops and wait. That is unless the crying was too bothersome for ya, then perhaps some shopping is in order. "Pen or pencil" a note with your cell to the perps chest, for the cops, then go grab some gelato or softserve.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #18

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Smith and Wesson makes one with a fire striker. 25 bucks on amazon

Old 11-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #19

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin-owner
you think his numb body would feel you poking at him with your fancy pen? doubtful, buy a knife with the same amount that your pen cost.
The idea is the pen is a low profile backup weapon in situations where you can't carry a gun or knife. As for its usefulness, try googling kubotan or yawara stick. It can be very useful for striking or various joint locks or pain compliance if you know how.

And yes, it will be less effective on a attacker pumped up on drugs... but so will a knife or gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
I wouldn't mind having one, either. But I see they don't come in pink.
Schrade Pink Tactical Pen

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0026W8ICM.

Last edited by mdauben; 11-14-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6111 Times on 3703 Posts
Likes Given: 6916

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
Schrade Pink Tactical Pen

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0026W8ICM.
Yesss......thank you. I think I might buy one of those some day when my finances are a little less tight. I also like the idea of the tactical pen with a fire striker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
These things are just a novelty. Any pen or pencil can be used as a "last ditch" self-defensive tool.
I disagree that any pen can be used as a weapon. I think most plastic pens would crack and be ineffective as a weapon. And I do have a metal barreled pen but I don't think it would make as effective a stabbing weapon as a true tactical pen.