Summertime Carry

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Summertime Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Summertime Carry

How do you carry concealed in warm weather cloths (pants and shirt)? For years, I've been putting my medium sized .40 S&W in my briefcase. Not optimal for access or carrying anywhere but to/from work.

Considering getting an Inside The Wasteband holster. What's your experience/recommendations with these. Other methods/recommendations?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-09-2007, 01:08 AM   #2

I carry a Springfield Armory 1911 EMP on my strongside (3 O'Clock) in a Don Hume I.W.B. holster, with two spare magazines in my weakside rear pocket loaded with Winchester Ranger SXT ammo, a SureFire Lumamax L1 Flashlight in my weakside front pocket, a Cold Steel Recon 1 - Spear Point Fighting Folder in my strong side front pocket and a head full of knowledge backed with a good combat mindset!

I've worn it with shorts and a tank top as well as a winter parka and it worked out great. My favorite IWB holster is a Don Hume and I have a Galco as well.

Christopher Moore

Point Blank, LLC
P.O. Box 31
Jackson, MO 63755
www.pointblanktraining.net
christophermoore@pointblanktraining.net

Last edited by ChrisMoore; 06-09-2007 at 02:09 AM.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:24 AM   #3

I've been wearing my holster in the small of my back

_./

Old 06-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #4

I have a stainless Smith and Wesson 637 that I carry in my waistband, against my skin, under a t-shirt. Sweat pools on the surface of the gun and I found that where it collected under the issue Uncle Mikes boot grips, it corroded the aluminum. I've never liked the fat feel of those grips, so recently I changed them for the cherry wood you see here. The point is, I just resigned myself to the gun getting stained and dinged up when carried in this fashion. Everything I carry regularly and use hard eventually looks like crap anyway.

- Phil Elmore

Publisher, The Martialist
For Those Who Fight Unfairly

Last edited by Phil Elmore; 06-09-2007 at 11:38 PM.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #5

When I'm casual in this really warm weather in N.M., shorts & golf shirt; I usually stick a PPK in a .380 or a Mauser Hsc in a .32acp in my pocket...I only use holsters, waist or shoulder, with a cover garment...And yes, larger caliber as well....
BTW, I have no use for "Mexican carry" for many reasons already stated in other posts...

Old 07-01-2007, 02:40 AM   #6

Default summer carry

Small of the back is nice if the weapon isnt too bulky or heavy, even with a 5.11 Operator belt my Blackhawk holster seems to feel lose unless i am standing, i get uncomfortable at times about not having a snap either, especially in the small of my back and i find myself often reaching back to hold it in place when i get around people. not the best thing. i usually carry strong side, and pull my shirt over it or wear the 5.11 vest. if you go with the vest it has a hidden pocket inside for a cross draw, works well. My best recommendation would be the blackhawk ankle holster. Its a bit bigger then other ankle holsters but its comfortable, not like some ive worn in the past, if it wasnt for the weight of the weapon you would forget it was even there. works only with pants lol, but it was an israeli design so the weapon draws from the bottom instead of from the top, so you basically dont even have to lift up your pant leg to draw the weapon. Here is the dilemma though, because it fits full size weapons, I actually use it to carry my XD9 Service weapon as a back up, or when I have to actually hide it, it holds it well, and it feels good, it even has a place to keep your mag or a spare mag directly beside the weapon holster. I carry a 24 round mag so it works pretty well, extra weight, but i carry on my left leg, so i draw from the bottom of that leg with my right hand, but the knee pain is on the right knee, dont get it, weird. So back to the dilemma, if you carry a weapon with a grip safety, i wouldnt recommend carrying loaded, because the barrel is pointed directly at your groin, if something were to happen, you would be in a great deal of pain, if not dead. So i have to actually unload my weapon and clear the barrel before I holster, not too happy with the notion, which is why i carry three extra mags, one in each pocket and one on my thigh, that way if i have to pull the weapon there isnt any fumbling for the mag on my ankle. But its a great holster, i love it, i wear it everyday, even wear it when I am not using it just in case i have to use it, its there. It would definitely be a better set up if you are carrying something without a grip safety, because then you could leave it loaded and have a spare back up mag beside it. I have two SIGS, a 229DAk 40 and the SIG Blackwater, and I rarely carry either, the XD9 does the job, why bring out the Porsche in the rain?

Old 07-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #7

I use a fanny pack made for concealed carry.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:04 PM   #8

Default summer Carry Holster:

Milt Sparks "Summer Special" is a great IWB holster for summer wear. Conceals very well...recommend a light weight handgun..glock or S&W scandium 1911 commander.

Milt Sparks makes the up for your pistol in aboutm 30 days.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:21 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For CCW during the summer I use a SmartCarry holster. Most of the time a 1911 Officers will be riding in it, although I do use a full size 1911 as well. I can wear this holster with whatever I want, so no problems there.

Of course summer here is only about 8 weeks long at most. That way my primary carry mode is OWB, and most of the time it is open carried.

-Bidah

Old 07-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sambo, Most gun guys I know recommend not carrying in the small of your back. The reason being, if you should slip & fall, or get knocked on your keester, you could wind up with some serious spinal injury. Not to mention the gun printing every time you bend over to pick something up.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved