In the summer in florida
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > In the summer in florida

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default In the summer in florida

Is there anyone form Florida on here and have there ccw and they carry in the heat of summer what gun do you carry and where

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #2

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I was born down there and lived for 40 years there around collier county. Worked in custom homes. I had a taurus model 85 that was in my pocket between me and my tool pouch for many years till I started running work. Carried it down there for right at 10 years. 10 more up here. No problems at all. I IWB when away from work But just over my front pocket so things did not move or change much. I know some say even SS rust on them. I used break free clp from in the mid 70's and hunted with ole cheap blued steel fireams and just never had rust issues. I now carry Kahrs CM9 or CW9 still pocket or straight up IWB. Even a KT pf-9 for a couple years with good results. Allways worked hard lots of climbing and just long sweaty days down there and could never find a way to carry a larger and heavier handgun so practice more with what I did CC with.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That's why the Ruger LCP is so popular down here. It fits easily into the cargo pocket of your shorts and you can almost forget it's even there. I also have a inside the waistband holster for my Beretta 84 that I wear under my un-tucked shirt at about the 5 o'clock position sometimes, but the hot sweaty nature of the weather here in Florida doesn't make it fun to carry.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrow12tech View Post
Is there anyone form Florida on here and have there ccw and they carry in the heat of summer what gun do you carry and where
I now live in Florida for the past twenty years. We have what is known as
the CWFL (Concealed Weapon or Firearm License), which I carry on
me with my S&W 457 or Ruger LCP 380, both of which I carry in a Remora
holster, which enables me with tee-shirt and shorts to jump around without
weapon moving from its intended position.
s-w-457.jpg   ruger-lcp-380.jpg  

Old 12-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #5

I carry an LC9 in a desantis nemesis. A little big for jeans --- but let's be honest u aren't going to wear those in the summer anyway. It fits great in cargo shorts - which is what I wear 3 out of 4 seasons in FL

Old 12-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Depending on what I have planned. I have shoulder, IWB, SOB, boot, and cross draw. My carry firearms vary also from full sized 1911's to LCP.

When I figured that a full sized 1911 would not work with the Speedo's (not enuff room), I got smart and started to use variations.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-20-2011, 06:48 PM   #7

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Don't live in Florida, but it gets pretty hot & humid here in east Texas also. I carry OWB with a T-Shirt between me & the pistol/holster & a blousey untucked shirt as a cover. Oddly enough, the T-shirt does not add to the discomfort from heat.

Pistol, holster gets soaked with sweat, but when I get inside out of the heat, I wipe it down with a silicon cloth. Also when I clean & lube, I use Finish Line Dry Lube inside & out. When reassembled, I wipe the excess off the outside, but it leaves a little bit of a protective film. It's designed to protect bicycle chains from grime, water & rust & it works real well for pistols too.

I'm carrying even when doing yard work & no rust so far.

Last edited by gollygee; 12-20-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #8

Liked 1447 Times on 878 Posts
Likes Given: 337

I live in Florida and I carry a full size 1911,IWB, year round. All it requires is good leather and a good belt. I cover with a print or solid color tee shirt or a square cut button-up shirt.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 12-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #9

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Lcp all day, she's my buddy you know "where ever I go she goes" fits anywhere. My lcp has the lil belt clip so it on any clothing. It's a great gun for those beach or pool days
Or just running out the house for a minute. The bg380 and p238 are also good carry guns for fl people. Wife carries p238 with out a problem but it's still heavyer then lcp. Any will do

Old 12-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I'm not in Florida, but I do spend a great deal of time in shorts and a t-shirt...and am often carrying in that attire. I carry a Kel-Tec PF9 in the summer. It's an ugly, cheap feeling micro 9mm that just plain works. No frills. I can carry in under the wasteline in a belly band or in a Desantis pocket holster if I'm wearing pretty baggy shorts.

There are plenty of other good 380 and 9mm micros. I decided 9mm was the smallest I wanted to go, and the 'cheap SOB' in me likes that it's considerably more powerful and affordable than 380acp. But a lot of experienced shooters have gone with the 380 and I might too if I were subjected to Florida's humidity. Look into single-stacked micro 380/9mm from Kel-Tec, Ruger, Kahr, and Walther...and S&W and Sig each make nice little 380s as well. And if you want greater capacity (doublestack), the size of the Ruger SR9c is tough to beat.