Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   In the summer in florida (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/summer-florida-53870/)

morrow12tech 12-20-2011 03:02 PM

In the summer in florida

Is there anyone form Florida on here and have there ccw and they carry in the heat of summer what gun do you carry and where

hardluk1 12-20-2011 03:13 PM

I was born down there and lived for 40 years there around collier county. Worked in custom homes. I had a taurus model 85 that was in my pocket between me and my tool pouch for many years till I started running work. Carried it down there for right at 10 years. 10 more up here. No problems at all. I IWB when away from work But just over my front pocket so things did not move or change much. I know some say even SS rust on them. I used break free clp from in the mid 70's and hunted with ole cheap blued steel fireams and just never had rust issues. I now carry Kahrs CM9 or CW9 still pocket or straight up IWB. Even a KT pf-9 for a couple years with good results. Allways worked hard lots of climbing and just long sweaty days down there and could never find a way to carry a larger and heavier handgun so practice more with what I did CC with.

Snakedriver 12-20-2011 03:22 PM

That's why the Ruger LCP is so popular down here. It fits easily into the cargo pocket of your shorts and you can almost forget it's even there. I also have a inside the waistband holster for my Beretta 84 that I wear under my un-tucked shirt at about the 5 o'clock position sometimes, but the hot sweaty nature of the weather here in Florida doesn't make it fun to carry.

PanBaccha 12-20-2011 03:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by morrow12tech (Post 656119)
Is there anyone form Florida on here and have there ccw and they carry in the heat of summer what gun do you carry and where

I now live in Florida for the past twenty years. We have what is known as
the CWFL (Concealed Weapon or Firearm License), which I carry on
me with my S&W 457 or Ruger LCP 380, both of which I carry in a Remora
holster, which enables me with tee-shirt and shorts to jump around without
weapon moving from its intended position.

WCS55 12-20-2011 03:51 PM

I carry an LC9 in a desantis nemesis. A little big for jeans --- but let's be honest u aren't going to wear those in the summer anyway. It fits great in cargo shorts - which is what I wear 3 out of 4 seasons in FL

danf_fl 12-20-2011 06:39 PM

Depending on what I have planned. I have shoulder, IWB, SOB, boot, and cross draw. My carry firearms vary also from full sized 1911's to LCP.

When I figured that a full sized 1911 would not work with the Speedo's (not enuff room), I got smart and started to use variations.

gollygee 12-20-2011 06:48 PM

Don't live in Florida, but it gets pretty hot & humid here in east Texas also. I carry OWB with a T-Shirt between me & the pistol/holster & a blousey untucked shirt as a cover. Oddly enough, the T-shirt does not add to the discomfort from heat.

Pistol, holster gets soaked with sweat, but when I get inside out of the heat, I wipe it down with a silicon cloth. Also when I clean & lube, I use Finish Line Dry Lube inside & out. When reassembled, I wipe the excess off the outside, but it leaves a little bit of a protective film. It's designed to protect bicycle chains from grime, water & rust & it works real well for pistols too.

I'm carrying even when doing yard work & no rust so far.

Chainfire 12-20-2011 07:04 PM

I live in Florida and I carry a full size 1911,IWB, year round. All it requires is good leather and a good belt. I cover with a print or solid color tee shirt or a square cut button-up shirt.

armed1212 12-20-2011 07:05 PM

Lcp all day, she's my buddy you know "where ever I go she goes" fits anywhere. My lcp has the lil belt clip so it on any clothing. It's a great gun for those beach or pool days
Or just running out the house for a minute. The bg380 and p238 are also good carry guns for fl people. Wife carries p238 with out a problem but it's still heavyer then lcp. Any will do

sweeper22 12-20-2011 09:07 PM

I'm not in Florida, but I do spend a great deal of time in shorts and a t-shirt...and am often carrying in that attire. I carry a Kel-Tec PF9 in the summer. It's an ugly, cheap feeling micro 9mm that just plain works. No frills. I can carry in under the wasteline in a belly band or in a Desantis pocket holster if I'm wearing pretty baggy shorts.

There are plenty of other good 380 and 9mm micros. I decided 9mm was the smallest I wanted to go, and the 'cheap SOB' in me likes that it's considerably more powerful and affordable than 380acp. But a lot of experienced shooters have gone with the 380 and I might too if I were subjected to Florida's humidity. Look into single-stacked micro 380/9mm from Kel-Tec, Ruger, Kahr, and Walther...and S&W and Sig each make nice little 380s as well. And if you want greater capacity (doublestack), the size of the Ruger SR9c is tough to beat.