Summer carry - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Summer carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 04:11 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I'd be re-thinking my wardrobe choices before I gave up carrying or went with a .22. Of course that's just me and I can't carry anyways because I don't live in America.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:30 AM   #22

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969
I'd be re-thinking my wardrobe choices before I gave up carrying or went with a .22. Of course that's just me and I can't carry anyways because I don't live in America.
Where else is there? I thought the world was flat, just falls off at california and virginia, , lol jk, I do agree with you about not carrying a .22. Lots of better options.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #23

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc View Post
Where else is there? I thought the world was flat, just falls off at california and virginia, , lol jk, I do agree with you about not carrying a .22. Lots of better options.
Illinois= People Republik of Chicago, ie not America.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #24

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969

Illinois= People Republik of Chicago, ie not America.
Lmao, well atleast your safe from falling over the edge, if that's any consolation.....

Old 06-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #25

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Have you considered new shorts? Lol shorts are a lot cheaper.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #26

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Well the season is finally upon us and now I'm left with no carry options because none of my shorts have deep enough pockets for even my LCP, which I gave to a buddy because it no longer is valid for me. I will not carry anywhere else, have tried and would rather take chance of being shot than deal with the extreme discomforts. So what I've decided to do is get a derringer, as it's better to carry even a double shot low cal than it is to be without. So I'm trying to decide if I should hold out for a 22mag or just get a 22lr. At the kind of range I'd be able to use such a mini I'm not so sure there'd be a difference, but I'm not too knowledgeable on such things, thus I'm here. Any help in decision would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Beyond:

We just bought my girlfriend a Ruger LCR in 38 Special for $399. IMHO, it's the perfect CC weapon. I never thought I would prefer a 38 to a 357 for CC, but after shooting her's extensively, I'm a convert. It's very small, super light, reliable as dirt, butter smooth trigger, and super accurate. The 38 is $100 cheaper, and much lighter than the 357 version. And much easier to control when double tapping. When I put it in the front pocket of my jeans, I quite literally forget it's there. It's that light! And IMHO a 38 is all ya need for defense. Skill, not caliber, is what will save your buns. I wouldn't even use any special purpose defensive ammo or even +P ammo. Just plain 38's. For my girlfriends LCR I load 148 grain wadcutters ahead of 3.5 grains of Winchester 231 for around 850 FPS. She can double tap center mass in the blink of an eye. I pity anyone she drops the hammer on. Speaking of hammers, because the LCR's is enclosed, it can be fired from inside a coat pocket or from under the sheets.

You're right in that any gun is better than no gun. I don't know which derringer you're contemplating. Some are almost are big as the LCR. And while a derringer may fit the bill for ya, just to be sure, check out the LCR in 38 Special.

Don <><

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:17 AM   #27

How about just using that bra holster.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:30 AM   #28

Liked 1839 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

If you are truly set on a 22 derringer...you should look at the NAA Mini revolver. I have one that I carry in my pocket of my gym shorts. Mine came with 2 cylinders. One is 22lr and one is 22mag. If you try both you will really notice the diference. Also 22 mag has a lot more bullet choices. There are actually companies puting out 22 mag rounds designed for self defense. If you insist on a 22 at least the NAA has 5 shots. It is even smaller than most 2 shot over unders.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:05 AM   #29

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
You're in the PNW and have a problem with summer carry? Boo Hoo!

Take a hint from us who have a serious hot weather carry issue here in sub-tropical South Florida, buy a Remora for the carry piece of your choice and reintroduce yourself to comfortable CC.

A true hot weather holster that carries extremely well and does not require you to dance-with-the-devil to use it.

Remora Holsters

Call Jacqui 239-207-0602 and tell her canebrake said hi.

I'm a big Remora fan.

The Ruger is appendix carried and the 1911's are kidney carried. The x2 mag pouch holds my xtra mag and my EDC knife.

All are No-Clip, Non-Slip Concealment Holsters, put 'em where you want.

It's the kindest thing I do to my guns.
How does this stack up to your recommendation of the Theis Holster? Or is it more of a summer/winter issue. I looked into the Remora when I had the Kel-Tec PF9 (worthless other than being little, especially for left handers).

Being in Florida I understand getting the sweatshield or full sweatshield model. But I dont understand the nessessity of the reinforced top model. I guess if you are constantly reholstering from range use, but with a cc holster I only care about being able to draw in a life/death situation. Not too concerned with reholstering if I had to use it. Unless it aids in retention, I guess there might be a reason for it.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945