Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Suggestions for a concealed carry weapon.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Suggestions for a concealed carry weapon.

Thinking about purchaisng my first CCW and I need some suggestions and advice. Safety of course is paramount for a CCW so that is the first thing I look for. Next is concealability and handling. I was looking at a SIG P238, but I'm not sure about the safety features. Maybe a small Glock? I hate my pinky hangin off so I will need an extended mag for any smaller gun I guy. Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't carry anything smaller than a 9mm. I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45ACP. It's got a 3" barrel and is very easy to conceal. It's really about what you can handle safely and hit your target under extreme pressure. Some people like High capacity magazines and some like the thinner guns with a single stack mag that allows for better concealment. There are so many options it's hard to cover everything here. I would recommend visiting the local gun shop and holding a few to see what is comfortable, then figure out the calibers that the weapon is made to handle. Of course there is always the revolver vs. semi-auto preference too. GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

If safety is a concern you can't go wrong with the xd9sc. They can be had under $450. Or you can pay mire for the xdm.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice guys. The Kimber sounds great but it's a little out of my price range. I need something for $600 or less. Sig is coming out with a P938 that looks interesting. Have you guys seen those?

Old 02-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #5

That xd9sc looks nice. I have read some good reviews on it and I really like the grip safety. Do you own one? If so, how do you like it?

Old 02-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 723

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/choosing-handgun-mike-seeklander-58208/

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #7

Scott, nice videos thanks. That Springfield xd9sc and the S&W mp9c both look great. You guys have been great helps.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:53 AM   #8

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndaholic View Post
That xd9sc looks nice. I have read some good reviews on it and I really like the grip safety. Do you own one? If so, how do you like it?
Yes I own the xd9sc and love it. The grip safety, conceal ability, high capacity, and reliability sealed the deal for me. The grip safety gives the added security of knowing that I just have to move my thumb slightly up toward the end of the slide and the safety is engaged for when I am holstering or handling it when it is hot. Very intuitive like the 1911s and I like the psychological satisfaction. If you get it, you may want to replace the trigger at some point, it can tend to be (or get) a little sloppy. I put a springer precision trigger on my XD 45 and love it.

Last edited by cline; 02-27-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:56 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Yes had one for 18 months. I use a holster super tuck Iwb. Its a great gun. Great versatility and as a new gun owner the grip safety really made me feel mire comfortable and I keep one in the chamber at all times.

I use it almost year round but found myself using a snub 38 for pocket carry in the summer.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #10

Check out kahr arms line of cw pistols they come chambered in 9mm, .40cal, & .45cal. I recently bought a cw40 and I love it great conceal ability feels good in your hand and for a kahr they're priced great at around $400. Only draw back for you would prob be there is no external safety other than a stiff 7lb. Trigger pull , but as long as you get a good holster it really shouldn't be a problem