A Sudden Change In Heart! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > A Sudden Change In Heart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 04:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Well, if I decide to go with a wheel gun, it'll be either a 38 or a 357. I'm looking at either a 2" or a 3". I really like the looks of a Ruger, but the grips don't do it for me. I haven't picked one up with aftermarket grips, but I know that Taurus and S&W tend to have more comgortable grips. I also don't liek the poly revolveers. I prefer not to go with the alloy or titanium. I want the weight of the steel. So no Bodyguard or LCR. No Ultralite or Airweight. I would like to have the single action ability, probably have the hammer bobbed for less snag, but I would like to be able to keeep the SA there if I want it. 5 shot capacity is where I'm leaning for more concealability. I'm completely open to suggestions. Charter Arms, Taursu, S&W, Etc.? Also keep in mind that I'll be looking to apply some laser grips. I have been kind of interested in the Smith J frame model 36 in 3". However it doesn't say that it's +P rated, do you know if it's safe to put a steady diet of +P through it?

Old 01-07-2012, 04:53 AM   #12

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeThis
Well, if I decide to go with a wheel gun, it'll be either a 38 or a 357. I'm looking at either a 2" or a 3". I really like the looks of a Ruger, but the grips don't do it for me. I haven't picked one up with aftermarket grips, but I know that Taurus and S&W tend to have more comgortable grips. I also don't liek the poly revolveers. I prefer not to go with the alloy or titanium. I want the weight of the steel. So no Bodyguard or LCR. No Ultralite or Airweight. I would like to have the single action ability, probably have the hammer bobbed for less snag, but I would like to be able to keeep the SA there if I want it. 5 shot capacity is where I'm leaning for more concealability. I'm completely open to suggestions. Charter Arms, Taursu, S&W, Etc.? Also keep in mind that I'll be looking to apply some laser grips. I have been kind of interested in the Smith J frame model 36 in 3". However it doesn't say that it's +P rated, do you know if it's safe to put a steady diet of +P through it?
Well if u go revolver,skip the .38 and go straight to .357 and shoot both. But I have my sp101 with a 3" barrel in .357. I agree the stock gripes aren't comfortable... but its a 15 dollar fix,pick up some houge grips and your golden. Not only do they feel better in the hand but it helps distribute the recoil very well and frankly helped me shoot the gun better. If You go that route you wont regret it. I like the sp101 in 3" bc Its small enough to conceal yet its not limited to only that,it would make a great pack,camp,or truck gun.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:56 AM   #13

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

.357 for sure. No reason not to as it shots .38 also. Mail me the hammer and I'll shorten for ya.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:05 AM   #14

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeThis View Post
Might as well go with the .357 mag then, if you can handle the recoil.

The .38 is a girl's gun.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee
For CCW a .357 mag is awfully big too, so you would always need to keep your jacket on. Not any fun.
Not necessarily. My daily carry piece is a snubnose Taurus 605 .357 magnum. I wear it IWB and I barely notice its even there.

forumrunner_20120107_080813.jpg

Old 01-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #16

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Being comfortable, accurate, and proficient with your chosen side arm is never a mistake.
Exactly, this is what it is all about.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yep, carrying a gun that you are not 100% comfortable carrying and shooting is a recipe to disaster.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:47 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Ok, so I did pick up a 101 3" today with houge grips. That made a world of difference in the feel of it. I like the weight of it for more comfort against the felt recoil and I don't feel that it's going to be an issue for carrying as all my revolvers have been steel. I'm appreciating the opinions here.
I hit alot of shops today and almost made a trade, cw40 for a Taurus 85. It was NIB and even swap, so I didn't feel like it was tyhat bad of a deal. I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of my pistol. I think I'll wait until I've saved up enough "she" money to bring something new home. That'll give me a little while longer to decide on what it's going to be.
Right now I'm not looking to break hte bank. I just want a good carry piece. I am planning to have a fancier set up later on down the road though. Below are the options I've about narrowed it down to.

Smith and Wesson Model 36 3" 38spl $359
Model 442/642 38spl $349
Taurus Model 65 357mag/38spl $349
Ruger Model sp101 357mag/38spl $639
Charter Arms Model Mag Pug 357mag/38spl $379

I'd prefer to stay away from CA just because they're not as common and I could foresee that coming back to bite me in the but. I'd also prefer to stay away from the Ruger due to the pricing. Also, the 642/442 isn't as appealing due to the light weight and the fact that it doesn't have an external hammer like I like. Yes I know that a hammer will be a snag, but I also know that I'll be bobbing the spur too. So, truth be told I'm leaning mostly toward the 36 because of the 3" and Taurus only offers a 2 and 2 1/2 or 4. I'm not keeping a closed mind on the others, but this is how it's looking so far.
Still yet, if you have any other suggestions and/or ideas, just let me know.
Thanks!

Old 01-08-2012, 03:13 AM   #19

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I did some work on a 36 just a little while back, the same job I did on my 65, and downsouth can attest to how well it turned out.

I'll give you a discount, I charged the deputy who owned the 36 $50, I'll do the same for you for...well, send me a PM if your interested. Heck with it, I need the practice, I'll do it cheap.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:13 AM   #20

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeThis
Ok, so I did pick up a 101 3" today with houge grips. That made a world of difference in the feel of it. I like the weight of it for more comfort against the felt recoil and I don't feel that it's going to be an issue for carrying as all my revolvers have been steel. I'm appreciating the opinions here.
I hit alot of shops today and almost made a trade, cw40 for a Taurus 85. It was NIB and even swap, so I didn't feel like it was tyhat bad of a deal. I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of my pistol. I think I'll wait until I've saved up enough "she" money to bring something new home. That'll give me a little while longer to decide on what it's going to be.
Right now I'm not looking to break hte bank. I just want a good carry piece. I am planning to have a fancier set up later on down the road though. Below are the options I've about narrowed it down to.

Smith and Wesson Model 36 3" 38spl $359
Model 442/642 38spl $349
Taurus Model 65 357mag/38spl $349
Ruger Model sp101 357mag/38spl $639
Charter Arms Model Mag Pug 357mag/38spl $379

I'd prefer to stay away from CA just because they're not as common and I could foresee that coming back to bite me in the but. I'd also prefer to stay away from the Ruger due to the pricing. Also, the 642/442 isn't as appealing due to the light weight and the fact that it doesn't have an external hammer like I like. Yes I know that a hammer will be a snag, but I also know that I'll be bobbing the spur too. So, truth be told I'm leaning mostly toward the 36 because of the 3" and Taurus only offers a 2 and 2 1/2 or 4. I'm not keeping a closed mind on the others, but this is how it's looking so far.
Still yet, if you have any other suggestions and/or ideas, just let me know.
Thanks!
That rugers way overpriced,I picked mine up 529 new OTD. keep shopping around for an sp101 while u save a bit more if that's what you really like. Think about buying online as well.