Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > A Sudden Change In Heart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 03:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default A Sudden Change In Heart!

OK, so you may have read some of my other threads. If so, you will know that I am fond of both, revolvers and pistols. Also, I currently carry a Kahr cw-40. I have also carried other pistols and wheel guns too. And yes, just recently, I had decided, so I thought, on getting a Colt Defender for primary carry and a Sig P-238 for a BUG. The reasoning was to have a set that were to be very similar set ups. Therefore, if I pull one, I'll be operating it properly from muscle memory. As apposed to a DAO primary and SAO BUG. I feel like in a high stress situation, I'd just #### it all up and wind up getting myself in a worse predicament.
Well I made quite a fun trip up to the range (outdoor) with my dad this past weekend. And since, I've been dwelling on an issue. We're both well versed in all sorts of firearms. No, we're not experts by any means, but very savy though. We thought of some drills with our carry guns. (Mine=Kahr cw-40/His=4" 38+P). Even as much as I've practiced over the years, I still found myself fumbling around with my pistol when (without me looking) he set me up with different malfunctions to clear in high tensity setups. There were various scenarios, and yes I knew exactly what to do, but with an adrinaline rush, these things become an issue that I always thought I was prepared for. Turns out I'm not. After seeing the way he flew through his drills (obviously less scenarios to run with a wheel gun), I decided to try it out with his. Given that I haven't carried a revolver in over a year, nor practiced with one, I nailed it.
I guess the point of this is that I have decided to give thought toward the revolvers again. I'm looking at a perminant decision here to go with a wheel gun. Everyone knows that they're much simpler. But I just feel so natural with a revolver in my hands. I still love my pistols and will still have pistols to have and to shoot, but I think it's going to boil down to me stick ing with a wheelie for carrying. I know that I could practice to get better with these drills. And I know that my pistlo has'nt ever jammed, but I don't want it to happen at the worst time posible and not be able to take care of the issue. Am I over reacting? Should I stick with my original plans, or should I go with the "GUT FEELING"? No, I am not asking for the revolver vs. semi-auto battle to be relived.
Thank you for your opinions.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2012, 03:24 AM   #2

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Go with what feels right to you, be it a gut feeling, or a strong desire plus more training. What do you shoot better, and what are you honestly more comfortable with?

Old 01-06-2012, 03:34 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

To be honest, I'm more comfortable with a DAO with no safety than a SA with safety. Plus I pick up the revolver much more naturally. I guess it's time that it's meant to be. I just don't want to go that route and be it a mistake. But simplicity is a plus.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:53 AM   #4

Being comfortable, accurate, and proficient with your chosen side arm is never a mistake.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4483 Times on 2365 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Being accurate and fast is most important with whatever you choose.

Try jamming a piece of cloth into the cylinder of a revolver simulating a piece of clothing doing that and see how long it takes to clear...

Whichever platform you pick it can fail. Ccw is a dirty environment and things can get stuck in a cylinder or slide however its dealt with you need to be proficient

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-06-2012, 04:36 AM   #6

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 14

For CCW a .44 mag is just too big.

For CCW a .357 mag is awfully big too, so you would always need to keep your jacket on. Not any fun.

For CCW any semi-auto works, and you can wear it in a number of different concealed places. On the heavy side, I think the .45 ACP or the 9mm are both perfect. Or you can go lighter.

For a CCW ankle gun as a backup, I would go with a smaller semi-auto, like a Walther .380 or P22.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:43 AM   #7

Liked 215 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee

For CCW a .357 mag is awfully big too, so you would always need to keep your jacket on. Not any fun.

For CCW any semi-auto works, and you can wear it in a number of different concealed places. On the heavy side, I think the .45 ACP or the 9mm are both perfect. Or you can go lighter.

For a CCW ankle gun as a backup, I would go with a smaller semi-auto, like a Walther .380 or P22.
I still have another year before I can carry,but I feel that my sp101 is very concealable. Sure I give up the standard 6 shot cylinder for a 5 shot cylinder,but I think even with the 3 inch barrel its very slim and small overall. Its what i intend to carry when i get my permit,as it feels better in my hand than autos to me,and i personally feel more confident with it as opposed to a auto of similar size. But yes most other .357's are much larger.

Last edited by Jstrong; 01-06-2012 at 04:46 AM.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee

For a CCW ankle gun as a backup, I would go with a smaller semI-auto, like a Walther .380 or P22.
I'm with shoobee it's better to have the biggest caliber in the smallest way possible I have a44 that I wish would concelead better but it doesn't I have a two different guns that I use on a daily basics I carry a Glock 27 40 caliber and 30 .45 caliber both of them are you perfect size I don't need to have a jacket. I can wear relaxed in the summer and winter I wear them with the crossbreed super tuck holster (the best holster for ccw) so think about what you are giving up. I mean I like revolvers but for every day carry I use my pistols.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using FirearmsTalk

Old 01-06-2012, 06:00 AM   #9

Edit: got tired and went off on a wild rant.

Last edited by trip286; 01-06-2012 at 06:17 AM.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #10

Edit: same as above, but feel the need to point out I carry (concealed, usually) a full size K frame. It ain't easy, but its doable.

A person has to be able to score hits and be proficient with their side arm, otherwise they may as well carry an unloaded gun, which we all know is nothing more than an awkward club.

Last edited by trip286; 01-06-2012 at 06:21 AM.