Stupid newbie question, where do you carry? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Stupid newbie question, where do you carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I like my Uncle Mike's inside the pants holster in the small of my back. It does a good job and it's easy on and off. The need to remove the holster to reholster the gun doesn't bother me. I never liked the idea of pushing a loaded gun into my pants , out of my own eyesight, anyway. With 2 or 3 Uncle Mike's you can carry about anything made - not all at one time mind you - which seems to fit my varying gun carry habits.
I have some really nice guns, and some equally nice leather, but to be honest my most common carry gun is a Beretta Tomcat in my back pocket. I can reach for it just as easy as my wallet (which I carry on my weak side). Standing, facing a B.G., I can put my hand on my gun and draw without causing him to alert (you can also do that, to a lesser extent, with a S.O.B. holster). You can't do that with a shoulder rig or a cross draw.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:23 AM   #12

I typically hip carry,when bike riding use the fanny pack and recently started the shoulder holster. I DO NOT LIKE THE SMALL OF BACK but that's just me

Old 01-06-2009, 12:21 AM   #13

glock 27 in ankle holster pps in pocket

Old 01-06-2009, 01:22 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Strong side, FBI cant just behind my right pocket. If I'm wearing shorts, it'll be IWB, strong side, directly under my pocket.

Stupid newbie question, where do you carry? - Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection

Stupid newbie question, where do you carry? - Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:57 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Check out Andy Arratoonian's Horseshoe Leather in the UK. This guy is old school and hand makes some of the highest quality holsters you will find anywhere.

http://www.holsters.org/index.htm

I just ordered a Covert 28 and dual mag holder for my Colt Defender.

Good luck

cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 01-06-2009 at 02:00 AM.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #16

Liked 271 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Some advice on concealment holsters :

Cross-draw holsters are unsafe on the practice range because you sweep the guy next to you when you draw . In a rushed draw, you'll likely have trouble stopping the gun and thus sweep right past the attacker and miss him . In a tussle, the cross-draw puts the grip frame right where the attacker can grab it .
Cross-draw can make it easier to draw while seated .

Ankle holsters are usually too hard to get to .

I bought an Uncle Mike's Fanny Pack and found it useless for a fast draw ; at best you could get the gun out in time to engage a gunman who was pre-occupied with other victims . Still, some cops threatened to boycott a shooting range/gun shop unless the shop stopped selling that fanny pack to civilians . Honestly !...

That leaves FBI carry as a good option. Don't know about paddle holsters but once had a clip holster that stayed on the gun when I drew . It was made by Bianchi .

If you carry, carry the same gun in the same place in the same holster all the time if possible . Carry at all times ideally so you never reach for a gun that is not there .
For more on this, read John Farnum's THE STREET SMART GUN BOOK .

Bruce Nelson, now deceased, recommended no retaining device except the pressure of holster on gun for concealed carry . I concur .

The USCCA will send you free info if you sign up for their emails .

Old 02-25-2009, 06:23 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Strong side hip. Invest some time (and money) in a quality holster.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 02-25-2009, 03:48 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
Strong side hip. Invest some time (and money) in a quality holster.
And a quality carry belt.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Like they said!
JMO

Old 02-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
+1.

Looper's reinforced holster belt is my choice. Looper Leather Goods is in Oklahoma City, and is 3rd generation family owned. Highly recommended.

looperlawenforcement.com

Thanks for pointing out my oversite Cane. Good holster is no good if your belt won't hold it up.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Last edited by Bighead; 02-27-2009 at 11:13 AM.