Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Stupid newbie question, where do you carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 04:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Stupid newbie question, where do you carry?

No, not in the mall, or out in the back yard. Is it clipped to you're belt on the side, is it clipped to you're belt in the small of you're back, or do you have one of those fancy shoulder holsters that the professionals seemed to use, covered by a jacket or sweater?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Glenn,

Definitely not a stupid question. You have several options for carrying your pistol, most of which involve carrying on the strong side hip (the right hip for most of us). Small of the back holsters and shoulder holsters may be right for a few special situations but probably not for the newcomer.
For carrying on the hip you have two main choices- an inside the waistband holster (IWB) or outside the waistband holster (OWB). OWB means the holster sits outside the pants and is anchored to the belt, usually by slots built into the holster. IWB means the holster sits between your pants and your skin or t-shirt, also secured to your belt usually by holster loops or clips. For many of us OWB is the most comfortable but is not as concealable as an IWB rig.
Important things to consider
1. you need a gun of small enough size to be easily concealed. The ease of concealment also depends on your body size, a larger body size may be able to conceal a larger size pistol. For most of us the pistol height is the most important factor, followed by the width and then barrel length. Polymer or aluminum-framed pistols are lighter in weight and easier to carry. For me I start having problems with printing (the pistol showing through your clothing) the more a pistol height gets above 5 inches. Four and a half inches to five inches high works best for me. In 9mm I use a Sig 239, CZ 75-compact or SW 6906. Also don't overlook a Glock 19. For a .45 I use a Sig p245, HK USP-compact or SW 4516-1.
2. You must get a good gun-belt which will support your pistol and holster. A good holster is also needed for proper support and concealment. I have a belt from the Beltman.
3. Before buying a pistol to carry try to rent one at a local range. If you have friends who have pistols or holsters try them out. Checking with your local law-enforcement may point you to local concealed carry classes which are very helpful.
4. Most of us wear our IWB or OWB holsters just behind our right hip, at what is called the 4 o'clock position (think of 12 oclock as straight forward, 3 o'clock right at your right hip).
5. There are many internet gun sites which have concealed carry sub-forums which can be very helpful. Some off the top of my head are
www.glocktalk.com, smith-wessonforum.com, sigforum.com, thehighroad.org, and thefiringling.com.
6. Many holster makers have an orientation to different holsters on their websites. Some you may look up on the internet include Fist holsters, Galco holsters, Highnoon holsters and Don Hume holsters. I have used all of them and all make reasonable holsters for concealed carry.
I hope this helps some. We were all at your stage at one time and the best way to learn is to ask questions.

best wishes- oldandslow

Old 02-06-2008, 08:39 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, I'm still not convinced I need to carry, but I am convinced I need to be trained and licensed. I'm ex-military and out of practice. Funny thing is, down here, with an honorable discharge, I can forgo the range time. Not going to do it as I haven't fired a pistol in 30 years. Need that time on the range. Not stupid enough to go out and slap on a 45. Thanks for the info, and this is from another old and slow.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenJohnson View Post
I'm still not convinced I need to carry

Its better to have a gun and not need it then to need it and not have one. Get some training and your CHL.

If you can see the big picture your not concentrating on the front sight post كافر

Old 02-07-2008, 03:07 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Glenn,

Glad to be of help. No one should convince you for the need to carry or not. It is a personal decision and it will require time, money, work and even family support to carry effectively. Unfortunately as the world becomes more unpredictable and violent it is prudent to be prepared. Being prepared involves much more than carrying a pistol- it involves the proper mind set to protect yourself and family, being in the best physical shape as possible, knowing how to avoid or leave (de-escalate) a violent encounter, and hopefully some simple empty-hand techniques to solve a problem without shooting someone. Using your pistol is a last resort which opens up a host of reactions, most of which are bad. You will have the local authorities to convince, possible civil litigation by your assaulter or his family (only in America), media, family and co-workers to deal with.
We prepare for a number of unexpected issues in life by buying insurance- we buy life insurance, car insurance, disability insurance, etc. all in the name of minimizing loss. If we wait until after a catastrophic event happens it is too late. The same with carrying concealed- it is personally acquired insurance against being a victim of violent crime. Hopefully it will never happen to you, but the one or two times in your life when you need your concealed pistol you will need it badly. And with the shooting sports you will meet many nice folks at the range or classes and the concealed carry part of shooting will be the forerunner of good times and good friends. Only you can make the final decision on what is right for you. My favorite saying is- be a victim or be prepared. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Old 02-07-2008, 12:12 PM   #6

Reviewing my lifestyle during a given month, by % it looks like this:
50%: Crossdraw 40%: Pocket (no holster) 10% Shoulder rig.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:05 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I carry an officers model .45 in an inside the waistband(IWB) Don Hume clip on holster. I wear the holster about 4 o'clock.

You need to also look into getting a belt for carry. A good stiff belt will make a world of difference in your comfort while carrying. Buy a good holster.
Remember......
Your gun is not about to fall out. Quit adjusting it.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:23 AM   #8

I pocket carry a lot. I also use a "fanny pack" quite a bit. I have belt holsters for all my guns, but I don't use them that often.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:38 AM   #9

I carry a glock 27 on my right hip with a leather bianchi pancake holster. I like this because it keeps the weapon tight to my body....especially since I have a thinner frame. When hip carry is not appropriate due to what I'm wearing...I carry my S&W 642 .38 in an inside the pocket holster. Sometimes I carry both. One should never die for lack of shooting back.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
Glenn,

Definitely not a stupid question.
5. There are many internet gun sites which have concealed carry sub-forums which can be very helpful. Some off the top of my head are
www.glocktalk.com, smith-wessonforum.com, sigforum.com, thehighroad.org, and thefiringling.com.
best wishes- oldandslow
Don't forget www.defensivecarry.com It is devoted to just such topics.

Don't mind me... I'm just the comic-relief talking-bear.