Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Is storing fully loaded mags hard on the springs? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/storing-fully-loaded-mags-hard-springs-50562/)

dborns 10-26-2011 01:37 AM

Is storing fully loaded mags hard on the springs?

I've always been worried that keeping my clips fully loaded is bad on the clips themselves. On my XD, I have the standard clip and the extended clip, and I don't keep them fully loaded, especially the standard clip that is my "backup" and is stored in my gun safe. My Keltech and shotgun, I'm not worried about since they are cheap guns, but in my 30 round rifle mags, I don't keep those fully loaded either.
Am I overthinking this, or is it good to take ammo out every so often? Is there some way to exercise the springs?

The other issue I can see having is that I have no idea how much ammo i have in each gun. If I had each mag/ clip filled to capacity, I would know exactly what is in each gun.

762 10-26-2011 01:41 AM

if you leave them loaded for years, yeah, the springs are gonna set. as long as you rotate them out, it should be fine.

c3shooter 10-26-2011 01:46 AM

We discuss this about once a week. Last time was 2 days ago. No, springs do not go bad from being compressed. They wear out from being flexed. There was a test of a Colt 1911A1 that had been left loaded for over 50 years. Worked fine. Beware that chambering, ejecting, and rechambering a cartridge too many times can cause bullet to move back in cartridge case.

Poink88 10-26-2011 01:58 AM

What they said and CLIPS do not have springs.

dborns 10-26-2011 02:05 AM

Ok, thanks for the info!

canebrake 10-26-2011 02:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/...thissagain.jpg

XD's have clips? :confused:

Yunus 10-26-2011 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dborns (Post 610679)
I've always been worried that keeping my clips fully loaded is bad on the clips themselves. On my XD, I have the standard clip and the extended clip, and I don't keep them fully loaded, especially the standard clip that is my "backup" and is stored in my gun safe. My Keltech and shotgun, I'm not worried about since they are cheap guns, but in my 30 round rifle mags, I don't keep those fully loaded either.
Am I overthinking this, or is it good to take ammo out every so often? Is there some way to exercise the springs?

The other issue I can see having is that I have no idea how much ammo i have in each gun. If I had each mag/ clip filled to capacity, I would know exactly what is in each gun.

Actually "exercising" the springs is what causes decay. There is legit science behind this, I've read it, I've posted it and I can't find it that quickly but it exists. If you really want it just ask and I'll take 5 minutes and find it. The short of it is that springs that are not pushed beyond their limits which you won't have a problem with in good manufacturer's won't be affected by being compressed. If springs are not pushed beyond their limits they do not decay or have memory over time. So a spring that is compressed or uncompressed will decay at the same rate and in fact a spring that is used (compressing and uncompressing) will wear quicker.

spittinfire 10-26-2011 02:22 AM

If you depend on that weapon, keep it loaded. If not....don't. You aren't going to hurt the springs.

Boyerracing343 10-26-2011 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 610754)
If you depend on that weapon, keep it loaded. If not....don't. You aren't going to hurt the springs.

Amen. My 45 is loaded and ready to go at all times. :cool:

JonM 10-26-2011 02:40 AM

couple months back i was digging out some boxes i had packed in 1991 right before i enlisted in the army. found a mag i had lost in the bottom of the box fully loaded 1911 230grn 45acp. it shot fine mag still works fine. it ws loaded for 20ish years.