Store Clerk Defends Himself... No shots Fired - Page 6

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Store Clerk Defends Himself... No shots Fired

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #51
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau

I don't disagree with anything you said. I was simply pointing out that this is a good source of learning. The criminal 'should' have been neutralized the split second the victim had the chance to do so. HE DID NOT! In this specific case he lived to tell about it, BUT had the criminal raised his left hand and fended away the victims gun and fired on the victim the outcome would be totally different. And I have seen the criminals take back the tactical advantage as fast as they have lost it. The fact that the victim 'handed' his gun to the criminal shows without a doubt he was untrained.
My advice as a LEO with 30+ years experience and an armed self defense instructors to all of you is if you find yourself in a similar situation DO NOT do as this victim did. When you have the tactical advantage over an ARMED criminal at close quarters DO NOT HESITATE TO FIRE you may not be as LUCKY as this victim was!!!
Nuff said!
Seems like a simple enough response to a simple problem, even if every situation is different 50% of the time you are going to wind up dead if BG pulls his trigger...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 09-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #52

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I don't think there are any wrong replies here. Certainly I think that if you have the ability to stop the bad guy in his tracks you should take it. But can everyone who carrys or has a gun for home defense honestly say they can take a life? There clerk did an instant threat assesment and he didn't get killed and didn't kill anyone. Maybe he knew this guy, maybe the guy was shaking in his boots when he pulled the gun. Maybe we just don't know the answers. Did he have the right to shoot him.....ABSOLUTELY. Unless you are faced with the exact same situation you can only arm-chair quarterback this one. I got my CCW because I wanted to have the ability do legally defend myself with a gun, not because I wanted to kill bad guys. The clerk was lucky.....certainly the bad guy was lucky...this time. This is a learning experience for both of them. When the clerk took a deep breath, did he realize he could have been shot? Did the bad guy have the same realization? On that day, in that shop nobody got killed. When (and if) I am faced with a similar situation I can only pray that my actions are the correct ones for the scenario. But I will not take a chance with my life or that of my family. When it comes down to you or me....I want to be the one around to tell the story.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

JimRau Likes This 
Old 09-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #53

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
I don't think there are any wrong replies here. Certainly I think that if you have the ability to stop the bad guy in his tracks you should take it. But can everyone who carrys or has a gun for home defense honestly say they can take a life? There clerk did an instant threat assesment and he didn't get killed and didn't kill anyone. Maybe he knew this guy, maybe the guy was shaking in his boots when he pulled the gun. Maybe we just don't know the answers. Did he have the right to shoot him.....ABSOLUTELY. Unless you are faced with the exact same situation you can only arm-chair quarterback this one. I got my CCW because I wanted to have the ability do legally defend myself with a gun, not because I wanted to kill bad guys. The clerk was lucky.....certainly the bad guy was lucky...this time. This is a learning experience for both of them. When the clerk took a deep breath, did he realize he could have been shot? Did the bad guy have the same realization? On that day, in that shop nobody got killed. When (and if) I am faced with a similar situation I can only pray that my actions are the correct ones for the scenario. But I will not take a chance with my life or that of my family. When it comes down to you or me....I want to be the one around to tell the story.
Well said. There's no definite right or wrong, I carry because I have the right to defend me and mine. Not so I can shoot bg's. What was it that spiders mans Uncle Ben said? "With great power comes great responsibility" cheesy but true.
Are the other guys wrong for saying he should have neutralize the threat immediately? No. I just think every situations different and sometimes its OK if nobody has to die. I'm no ****ing bleeding heart by a damn sight I just want gun carriers to use good judgement when/if they are forced to use their weapons, it reflects on other cwp holders.