stopping power & lethality r little/related
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > stopping power & lethality r little/related

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default stopping power & lethality r little/related

I can cause your (eventual) death with an icepick stab to your liver, but it might well take you MANY minutes to actually keel over. Each of your attackers can stab/club/shoot you 4x per second (with each hand). So I suggest that you not give any of them an "extra" 1/4 second that you don't have to! :-) Just cause the guy dies from a .22 (eventually) does not mean that shooting him saved his intended victim. Many people survive being shot, so stopping him is not necessarily lethal.

I can stop you, without fail, with a non-lethal blow across your gut, using a ball bat. So forget about merely looking at "who died, from what" studies. The bad guy's death does not show you if he was STOPPED (in time to save his would-be victim).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #2

Liked 110 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by uanda View Post
I can cause your (eventual) death with an icepick stab to your liver, but it might well take you MANY minutes to actually keel over. Each of your attackers can stab/club/shoot you 4x per second (with each hand). So I suggest that you not give any of them an "extra" 1/4 second that you don't have to! :-) Just cause the guy dies from a .22 (eventually) does not mean that shooting him saved his intended victim. Many people survive being shot, so stopping him is not necessarily lethal.

I can stop you, without fail, with a non-lethal blow across your gut, using a ball bat. So forget about merely looking at "who died, from what" studies. The bad guy's death does not show you if he was STOPPED (in time to save his would-be victim).
Well said.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #3

thanks, normally all I get is static from people who don't know much. :-)

Old 06-21-2014, 09:53 PM   #4

Liked 2448 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 558

What does it matter if you can simply stop all attackers with the blistering speed of draw?

Rapidly executed, well placed shots are key to stopping threats.
People Like This 
Old 06-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 195 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
What does it matter if you can simply stop all attackers with the blistering speed of draw?

Rapidly executed, well placed shots are key to stopping threats.

People Like This 
Old 06-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22239 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
thanks, normally all I get is static from people who don't know much. :-)
and just whose fault is that?

are you making assumptions that the other members don't know what they are talking about?

sorry to say, but i feel you're victim of your own self imagined importance.

you need to wake up and venture into the real world every so often.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:54 AM   #7

It certainly aint MY fault if they don't know much and insist upon displaying that shortcoming on forums.

why do you feel driven to LIE about what I said, hmm? I did not say anything about stopping ALL attackers just by showing a gun, but I've stopped 5 of them (1 each time) that way, and almost any cop will say the same thing. People don't want to get shot, cause it means prison or the cemetery.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:24 AM   #8
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8725 Times on 4701 Posts
Likes Given: 18440

Quote:
I did not say anything about stopping ALL attackers just by showing a gun, but I've stopped 5 of them (1 each time) that way...
I assume you are military or law enforcement? Otherwise, you should consider moving to a safer neighborhood.

no offense and none taken
People Like This 
Old 06-22-2014, 01:25 AM   #9

Liked 530 Times on 314 Posts

Mall ninjas, arm chair warriors, and trolls must be having some kind of convention on the forums these past few days. Some of the ideologies I've been coming across lately here are comical at best. Thank god for the rational, educated, and sane members we have here. " A non lethal blow across the gut with a baseball bat".....yawn.
People Like This 
Old 06-22-2014, 01:38 AM   #10

Liked 3228 Times on 1928 Posts
Likes Given: 2306

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
I assume you are military or law enforcement? Otherwise, you should consider moving to a safer neighborhood.

no offense and none taken
not all of us grew up pampered pretty boys like you, mccool.

some were raised hard in the hood (for me specifically, it was the hood of a ford pinto...sort of peach color with brown/orange pin stripes).

i made it out, and yeah i did a few things....but that was the "old me".....

People Like This