Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > stopping power. 10mm vs .40 vs .357 Sig vs .45acp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Which one do you shoot best?

I personally would lean towards 40 or 45 for ammo availability and more towards 45. It's a lower pressure round that has stood the test of time.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I usually carry a 9mm out of convenience. If I had to pick from my pistols just based on stopping power Id go with my XDSC.40 or my XDSC .357 sig conversion. Probably the .357 sig.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2611 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1160

Although the 10mm is not at Wally World, I use other sources for new ammo.

As with everything else concerning firearms, don't buy one if you think you will have trouble supplying things for it (unless you're a collector.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 12-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #14

I have seen lots of .357 Sig on the shelves around here, I carry a G33 sometimes so that's how I know about that. Haven't ever looked for 10mm as I don't own a firearm in that caliber. But like I said, just looking for the baddest round out there for semi-auto handgun.

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

Old 12-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 215 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 27

A center-mass hit with any of these rounds will be in the same ballpark with regard to effectiveness. How speed vs size is prioritized is a very subjective argument in my opinion, and certainly would have to be defined on a case by case basis...and you're not carrying with the insight if whether you'll prefer a fast or heavy round on that given day.

As a personal defense weapon for 2-legged critters, I'll take the 45acp. I've shot all of these a bit and do have a 357sig that I really like. And I don't get all wrapped up in the size of the 45acp being so superior to the others. The fact is they'll all do a similarly excellent job. But this much most people will agree on: Of the four calibers you mention, the 45acp is the clear winner for fast follow-up shots. With everything else being pretty subjective, what else matters? Also, you can get some pretty fast 45acp rounds if that's what you desire. The Pow'R'Ball 165gr JHPs are turning out more than 1200fps.

10mm- Good woods option. Just know that most affordable 10mm will still be expensive, and all you'll really get is a 40sw.
357sig- Fun, precise, but financially impractical. There are 9mm and 40sw defense rounds that mirror 357sig ballistically.
40sw- The compromise caliber. Affordable, effective, albeit a little snappy.
9mm- Go find a good 124+gr +p+ load (Rangers, Buffalo Bore), and you may be surprised how close it is to 357sig.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22
A center-mass hit with any of these rounds will be in the same ballpark with regard to effectiveness. How speed vs size is prioritized is a very subjective argument in my opinion, and certainly would have to be defined on a case by case basis...and you're not carrying with the insight if whether you'll prefer a fast or heavy round on that given day.

As a personal defense weapon for 2-legged critters, I'll take the 45acp. I've shot all of these a bit and do have a 357sig that I really like. And I don't get all wrapped up in the size of the 45acp being so superior to the others. The fact is they'll all do a similarly excellent job. But this much most people will agree on: Of the four calibers you mention, the 45acp is the clear winner for fast follow-up shots. With everything else being pretty subjective, what else matters? Also, you can get some pretty fast 45acp rounds if that's what you desire. The Pow'R'Ball 165gr JHPs are turning out more than 1200fps.

10mm- Good woods option. Just know that most affordable 10mm will still be expensive, and all you'll really get is a 40sw.
357sig- Fun, precise, but financially impractical. There are 9mm and 40sw defense rounds that mirror 357sig ballistically.
40sw- The compromise caliber. Affordable, effective, albeit a little snappy.
9mm- Go find a good 124+gr +p+ load (Rangers, Buffalo Bore), and you may be surprised how close it is to 357sig.
Why do people always say that the 10mm is good for hunting or in the woods? What does that mean? It'll kill deer and bear but not humans? Confused

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

Old 12-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

They both have the same stopping power of 47 with a 180 bullet going 1000fps and the diameter is 0.400 and a factor of 10 taylor KOalso.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 215 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke124 View Post
Why do people always say that the 10mm is good for hunting or in the woods? What does that mean? It'll kill deer and bear but not humans?
Who said a 10mm isn't effective on people? It certainly is. It's a faster round, which can help to some degree with shock. The velocity can also benefit you when shooting through foliage.

Some animals have thick skin, and bone mass/density that require different ballistics. People have a psychological response to being shot...because they usually know they've been shot.

10mm is the most powerful cartridge you listed. But if you hit someone in the same spot with a 357sig, 10mm, 45acp, or 40sw their response (or lack thereof) will almost certainly be about the same with each. But range ammo will be spendy for 10mm. And that cheap stuff you drop $20+/box on will be no different coming out of the barrel than the guy shooting $14/box 40sw right next to you.

It's like paying an extra $40K for the Porsche with a top speed 195mph instead of 180mph...you actually got a use for those extra 15mph? As an urban carry gun, I'd argue that you don't. In the woods, sure.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #19

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

The factor that seems most important to me is platform. Which handgun do you want to use? And then that limits your choices somewhat. Glock has an option in almost every caliber, but some other platforms are more limiting. The vast majority of platforms offer 9mm/40sw/45acp as their options. My favorite carry models are made by Kahr and Springfield Armory. These are my 3 caliber choices so I don't really have the choice of 10mm or 357sig because those options don't even exist in the platform(s) I have chosen.

.45 acp is my vote, BTW. It is plentiful...both in availability and in effectiveness!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
All are good rounds & shot placement is the key. As far as "stopping power" in a handgun, that is a hollywood myth. I seen medical reports which state that a killing heart or lung shot may not stop a person because they will still have 15 seconds oxygen available to their brain. In 15 seconds, the bad guy's reflexes can kill you.

The one shot stop can be attained by destroying the part of the brain which is the 'motor center'. If I remember correctly, that means hitting them between their nose & their upper lip.
Yes, exactly correct..! The Medulla Oblongata is eaiser to be reached from the rear at the base of the brain, but is an almost impossible "shot" to make.
19236.jpg