Stopped by Philly Police While OC
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Stopped by Philly Police While OC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default Stopped by Philly Police While OC

Yesterday I was out walking, OCing my P95 when I was stopped by the Philly police. Someone made a call about a man with a gun.

After a check of my License To Carry Firearms I was on my way. In total, about a 5 minute encounter.

Some of you may have read about how the Philly police have treated firearms owners in the past, but this incident was handled courteously and professionally. I returned that courtesy therefore I wasn't threatened, harrassed, or had my weapon confiscated. One officer did admire my Ruger though.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7091 Times on 4268 Posts
Likes Given: 8599

Why do you prefer open carry to conceal carry?

Old 09-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Why do you prefer open carry to conceal carry?
#1, it is my right.
#2, sometimes it is more convenient and comfortable depending on what I am carrying or how I am dressed.

I don't OC to intimidate. Some people don't notice, some notice and don't care. Others take an interest and get an education or a decent discussion. Then you have the sheep that panic and call the police.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7091 Times on 4268 Posts
Likes Given: 8599

I wasn't judging, I was just asking.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #5

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Thanks for posting. Glad to hear the Philly cops got their act together. I know a few personally and they are good guys, a few over-zealous ones give the force a bad rap.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I wasn't judging, I was just asking.
I know, I know.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #7

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Don't people realize. It's NOT the person that carries the gun, in a proper holster, and NOT ACTING in any way out of place, that's a threat. It's the ones who hide the gun under a trench coat or hoodie, with their hand on the weapon, and acting out of place, that's the threat. I think all towns, when having their town meetings, should also bring up their city gun carrying laws, to shut down these scared tree huggers and not be calling the Police each time they see an honest person doing what's within the gun laws. The person calling the Police should be given a "Warning ticket" because of "panic" reporting and be made to read up on their State's gun rights and City gun carrying laws.
Del

Old 09-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
to shut down these scared tree huggers
HEY!! Dont be hatin' on us tree huggers. I hug trees all the time....it makes for a steady sight picture.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 09-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post
The person calling the Police should be given a "Warning ticket" because of "panic" reporting and be made to read up on their State's gun rights and City gun carrying laws.
Del
Actually, that's not a bad idea. Because I agree the guy walking around with a properly-holstered weapon, who could very well be a plain-clothes officer, is not the threat.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default +1

Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post
The person calling the Police should be given a "Warning ticket" because of "panic" reporting and be made to read up on their State's gun rights and City gun carrying laws.
Del

From Lindenwood,
"Actually, that's not a bad idea. Because I agree the guy walking around with a properly-holstered weapon, who could very well be a plain-clothes officer, is not the threat."

I agree 110%! The vast majority of thugs do NOT carry openly, nor (most of the time) in a holster. Many are convicted felons and the last thing they want to do is be caught carrying a gun. Also, most carry stolen guns so they can't be traced back to them when they git rid of them (throwing them in the weeds, in a dumpster, in a gutter, the river, etc.