Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Stopped by Philly Police While OC (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/stopped-philly-police-while-oc-47857/)

priell3 09-06-2011 03:21 PM

Stopped by Philly Police While OC

Yesterday I was out walking, OCing my P95 when I was stopped by the Philly police. Someone made a call about a man with a gun.

After a check of my License To Carry Firearms I was on my way. In total, about a 5 minute encounter.

Some of you may have read about how the Philly police have treated firearms owners in the past, but this incident was handled courteously and professionally. I returned that courtesy therefore I wasn't threatened, harrassed, or had my weapon confiscated. One officer did admire my Ruger though.

winds-of-change 09-06-2011 03:26 PM

Why do you prefer open carry to conceal carry?

priell3 09-06-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 575661)
Why do you prefer open carry to conceal carry?

#1, it is my right.
#2, sometimes it is more convenient and comfortable depending on what I am carrying or how I am dressed.

I don't OC to intimidate. Some people don't notice, some notice and don't care. Others take an interest and get an education or a decent discussion. Then you have the sheep that panic and call the police.

winds-of-change 09-06-2011 04:14 PM

I wasn't judging, I was just asking. :eek:

Jpyle 09-06-2011 04:18 PM

Thanks for posting. Glad to hear the Philly cops got their act together. I know a few personally and they are good guys, a few over-zealous ones give the force a bad rap.

priell3 09-06-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 575688)
I wasn't judging, I was just asking. :eek:

I know, I know. :cool:

Triumphman 09-07-2011 01:40 PM

Don't people realize. It's NOT the person that carries the gun, in a proper holster, and NOT ACTING in any way out of place, that's a threat. It's the ones who hide the gun under a trench coat or hoodie, with their hand on the weapon, and acting out of place, that's the threat. I think all towns, when having their town meetings, should also bring up their city gun carrying laws, to shut down these scared tree huggers and not be calling the Police each time they see an honest person doing what's within the gun laws. The person calling the Police should be given a "Warning ticket" because of "panic" reporting and be made to read up on their State's gun rights and City gun carrying laws.
Del

fmj 09-07-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

to shut down these scared tree huggers
HEY!! Dont be hatin' on us tree huggers. I hug trees all the time....it makes for a steady sight picture. :D

Lindenwood 09-07-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triumphman (Post 576277)
The person calling the Police should be given a "Warning ticket" because of "panic" reporting and be made to read up on their State's gun rights and City gun carrying laws.
Del

Actually, that's not a bad idea. Because I agree the guy walking around with a properly-holstered weapon, who could very well be a plain-clothes officer, is not the threat.

Davo45 09-09-2011 07:54 PM

+1

Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post
The person calling the Police should be given a "Warning ticket" because of "panic" reporting and be made to read up on their State's gun rights and City gun carrying laws.
Del

From Lindenwood,
"Actually, that's not a bad idea. Because I agree the guy walking around with a properly-holstered weapon, who could very well be a plain-clothes officer, is not the threat."

I agree 110%! The vast majority of thugs do NOT carry openly, nor (most of the time) in a holster. Many are convicted felons and the last thing they want to do is be caught carrying a gun. Also, most carry stolen guns so they can't be traced back to them when they git rid of them (throwing them in the weeds, in a dumpster, in a gutter, the river, etc.