Still a youngin... Any ideas on concealed handguns? - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Still a youngin... Any ideas on concealed handguns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 03:13 AM   #71
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3725 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

By the way, 308Wins, any idea when you're going to Boot Camp? Have you taken steps in that direction yet?

I only ask because I've noticed buying a gun (especially in Kalifornia!) is much easier for military. It might be worth waiting until you've "earned the title," so to speak.

Always have clean socks.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:22 AM   #72

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm
By the way, 308Wins, any idea when you're going to Boot Camp? Have you taken steps in that direction yet?

I only ask because I've noticed buying a gun (especially in Kalifornia!) is much easier for military. It might be worth waiting until you've "earned the title," so to speak.
No time anywhere soon, I'm recovering from brain surgery. Messed me up pretty bad

Old 05-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #73

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

And as for training, I know which end the bullets come out of. Lol

Old 05-23-2013, 03:30 AM   #74

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post
Right, I agree 100%. This is why I have a .22 as well as my full caliber handguns. However, given the OP's specific circumstance ($600 limit, gun specifically for CCW, already has a 9mm, etc etc), my opinion is to start with the caliber he wants to use for defensive purposes and maybe later get a .22 when his situation allows. In conjunction with getting his CCW gun first, he must of course learn the fundamentals and apply them to every shot he sends down range.

By the way, we're all assuming he isn't already proficient/trained with a handgun. He says he has a 9mm, maybe his dad taught him how to shoot? Even if it wasn't extensive, I'm sure he remembers the lesson, if that is the case. Just because someone is young and doesn't have his CCW doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's doing.
Perhaps one place we differ on is the level of skill a person should have before carrying a weapon. It is a heavy responsibility, and I believe one should be more than just adequate with a handgun before taking it on, or to learn while carrying.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:35 AM   #75
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3725 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I agree that it's a heavy responsibility. And should definitely not be taken lightly. But when has a person trained enough to be able to carry, in your opinion? When he has sent 1,000 rounds down range, most of which not applying the proper fundamentals? 10,000? 100,000? When he "feels" he is ready? In my opinion, training with firearms never stops. It is continuous. If we can't "learn while carrying" then no one could never carry, because we are all constantly learning new things, regardless of how many thousands of rounds you've shot, or how many years you have been shooting.

I absolutely think people should become proficient in firearms if they're thinking about owning them, using them, buying them, etc. In that regard I believe people who are starting to shoot should, as quickly and as soon as possible, become familiar with the platform and caliber they want to carry.

I guess a compromise would be a training pistol in .22, specific to the gun you want to carry, with similar controls. An example would be the M&P 22 if you're going to carry the M&P9. That, rather than some random other .22 just for the sake of it.

I still think its better to start with the caliber you think you will be starting with.

Just a difference of opinion, that's all.

This thread makes me want another .22 handgun. Haha. Lots of fun.

Always have clean socks.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:01 AM   #76

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Kahr CM9 for DAO striker fire.

Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Carry, or CZ 2075 RAMI for DA/SA hammer fire.

Sig P938 for SAO hammer fire.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:55 AM   #77

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Get you a little 380, maybe an LCP!! Pick one up used maybe 250 or so! Get used to carrying a gun everyday!! Make it part of your routine! Practice shooting as often as you can!! 380 range ammo is fairly cheap!! At first, your not looking for the perfect man stopper!! At least for me, I had to get used to the lifestyle change!! My whole lifestyle had to change when I started carrying!! From attitude to how I dressed to even how I talked to people!! What I am trying to say is , its not as important what you carry vs how you get used to the lifestyle and embrace the responsibility!! Baby steps!! Your young and eager and that's expected! 380 than if you want to move up in caliber and size in a year so!! You will be better for it!! Good luck and stay safe-

Old 05-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #78

Liked 74 Times on 51 Posts

BTW 308wins you stated not wanting to carry a full size because of the weight size etc. Well as I stated earlier in the post I usually carry an LC9 which is a compact pistol for sure but yesterday I received a blade tech phantom IWB for my 1911. As soon as I opened the package I had my 1911 in it and was practicing drawing from concealment. It only cost me $30 approx. It has adjustable cant and retention (not like a funky have to break your arm to twist your gun retention, just extra stiffness in the holster) and j was amazed how well the 1911 hid. Its a Govt model BTW. Now granted I could see it through my shirt and once I pointed it out to loved ones they could see it too. But to people who aren't looking and don't now it could just be q cellphone holder/ bulbs in yoir belt etc. Plus most people who see that weird bulge aren't rude enough to question you about it. I've decided if anybody ever asks me what it is I'm just gonna say "You calling me fat??"

Old 05-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #79

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yes!! The LC9 is a great little compact 9mm that holds one more round in the mag! Both THE LCP and the LC9 are DA only!! They have no external safety but have a very long pull that acts just as well as a safety!! No accidental discharge with those guns!! Either gun I would highly recommend for new conceal carry people!! Especially in no open carry States!! I have two compact revolvers and can't get comfortable carrying either one-

Old 05-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #80

Liked 74 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
Yes!! The LC9 is a great little compact 9mm that holds one more round in the mag! Both THE LCP and the LC9 are DA only!! They have no external safety but have a very long pull that acts just as well as a safety!! No accidental discharge with those guns!! Either gun I would highly recommend for new conceal carry people!! Especially in no open carry States!! I have two compact revolvers and can't get comfortable carrying either one-
Idk about the LCP but the LC9 does have a thumb safety