Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Still a youngin... Any ideas on concealed handguns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I carried a 22 mag for several months and had a buddy that made comment like its a girl gun or no one is afraid of that pea shooter. To which i would reply call it what you want it will still kill you dead.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1103 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I have said this before, and will say it again. A quality .22 handgun will be a joy to learn on, and will still be a joy to shoot decades later. I too went through a stage were I considered a .22 to be puny and not macho enough for me. As I got older I started going back more and more to .22's. And, I would NOT want to get shot with one.

I am not saying that one cannot learn on a larger caliber handgun. Of course they can. I am not saying that the .22 is an ideal self defense caliber. It's not, but it's not as bad a choice as a lot make it out to be. I am saying thatI believe that skill and practice is more important than the caliber of the handgun, and that a .22 is a more economical way --the only way, for a lot of people -- to shoot enough to develop this skill. Two guns -- a .22 and a larger caliber -- might be a better choice, but I would not feel naked and unarmed if all I had was a good .22. Heck, the .22 was the choice of mob hit men.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #53

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I got my son a mid-sized Glock 19, 9mm ... he loves it!

Old 05-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #54

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is a big surprise.... I'm goin to say if you can handle a .45 go with the xds. Perfect gun for conceal carry and for being such a small .45 the recoil is really not bad at all.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #55
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 956 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 698

.22lr fun AND reasonably cheap to shoot. Great for learning and screwing around with.

As for eventual carry - I'll say 9mm, as more often then not you'll be able to have more rounds in the mag. Don't buy into the bigger is better - if that was the case, we wouldn't be having a debate about limiting mag sizes. Give me 10-14 rnds of 9mm in a CCW over 6 or 7 rounds of .40 or .45. Ultimately, size/concealability will dictate that anyways, so it may not matter. If size for you concealability needs dictates 6-7 rounds, then by all means if you can handle .45, go for it!

That being said, I would not overlook a CZ RAMI BD in 9 mm (order - you'll have to wait a couple months for it), or a CZ 75D PCR Compact. These are both DA/SA-decocker, but are available with a safety. That's something else you need to consider - DA/SA, SA with safety, grip/trigger safety...

As others have said - get to a range that rents, and shoot as many as you can.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 05-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #56

Liked 135 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I have been shooting/hunting for 23 years. Started with a .410 and a .22 and went from there. About 4 months ago...I purchased my first handgun....and shortly after...my second. The latter was a .22 SA revolver. Getting back into shooting has taught me the value of a .22 for mechanics, fun. I hold the single action revolver the same way that I holds my .40...and Mt accuracy had improved greatly with a handgun in the last couple months...almost 3 times as many round s through the .22 than the .40.

Also, someone earlier mentioned "fanboy" in terms of reccomendations. My recconendation comes purely from experience and research of the market. I personally feel that for the value, function, and ease of operation...you cannot beat a, shield. I know this is my opinion...but "fanboy" I am not.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 05-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #57

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo_Sixx
I got my son a mid-sized Glock 19, 9mm ... he loves it!
I recognize that profile picture from another site I like to use...

Old 05-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #58

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67
.22lr fun AND reasonably cheap to shoot. Great for learning and screwing around with.

As for eventual carry - I'll say 9mm, as more often then not you'll be able to have more rounds in the mag. Don't buy into the bigger is better - if that was the case, we wouldn't be having a debate about limiting mag sizes. Give me 10-14 rnds of 9mm in a CCW over 6 or 7 rounds of .40 or .45. Ultimately, size/concealability will dictate that anyways, so it may not matter. If size for you concealability needs dictates 6-7 rounds, then by all means if you can handle .45, go for it!

That being said, I would not overlook a CZ RAMI BD in 9 mm (order - you'll have to wait a couple months for it), or a CZ 75D PCR Compact. These are both DA/SA-decocker, but are available with a safety. That's something else you need to consider - DA/SA, SA with safety, grip/trigger safety...

As others have said - get to a range that rents, and shoot as many as you can.
CZs often don't get the love that they deserve. One of the best, smoothest shooting guns I ever owned was a CZ 75D compact. People often piss and moan about stock triggers; but the CZ75 and its variants have one of the cleanest breaking, best out of the box triggers I've ever used. unfortunately I sold it when times got a little rough and regretted it Shortly thereafter. I've since vowed that I would never sell another gun again. Now I've got my eye on a 75B for my next purchase.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

towboater Likes This 
Old 05-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1103 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
CZs often don't get the love that they deserve. One of the best, smoothest shooting guns I ever owned was a CZ 75D compact. People often piss and moan about stock triggers; but the CZ75 and its variants have one of the cleanest breaking, best out of the box triggers I've ever used. unfortunately I sold it when times got a little rough and regretted it Shortly thereafter. I've since vowed that I would never sell another gun again. Now I've got my eye on a 75B for my next purchase.
I generally don't like 9mm. I also generally don't like double action automatics. So I never thought I'd like CZ handguns. However, on one occasion when I was back visiting friends in Texas, we went to a range just outside Fort Worth in Parker County, and a couple of CZ reps were there with a table full of guns you could shoot. Heck, a chance to play with new toys? Count me in. So I picked up one from the table, and shot it; after a while the rep comes into the shooting gallery and hands me another one, and after that a third. One I particulary liked -- I'd know it if I saw it, a fairly compact model, but I don't remember the specific model numbers I shot.

The bottom line is that I came away from that session with a new respect for CZ handguns. If I were ever to find a need for a double action 9mm, CZ would definitely on my list to consider. As a matter of fact, if I ever run across the right deal on one, I might get it anyway.

Even if it wasn't designed by John Browning.

Last edited by txpossum; 05-22-2013 at 07:50 PM.
towboater Likes This 
Old 05-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #60

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

They make DA/SA guns as well. My 75D was a decocker model. I've never been a fan of DAO guns aside from Glocks, but that's probably because I carried one for duty and competed in IDPA with one for so many years.

I was issued a 229 DAK when I switched departments. Hated it. Had the armorer install the DA/SA kit and never looked back.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".