Still a youngin... Any ideas on concealed handguns? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Still a youngin... Any ideas on concealed handguns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1142 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I edited my reply above. It came out more combative than I meant it to. But a pet peeve of mine is people new to firearms who don't take the time or effort to learn the basics before they start carrying. And these days, I can't afford to shoot a couple of hundred rounds of centerfire ammo per week the way I used to. Even if I could find it.

Once the basic "muscle memory" of learning how to aim, how to properly squeeze the trigger, the stance that works best for the individual, etc., it isn't that hard to transfer it between firearms. I regualry swith up between autos and revolvers of all sizes and calibers, and don't have to re-learn with each new gun.

Last edited by txpossum; 05-22-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
Plus he didn't say he was looking for a 'fun' gun to shoot, he's looking for a CCW. .22 is not considered an adequate self defense round. Sure, people die from them and I investigated a guy who got offed with a POS Jennings .22. But by and large it's not considered something with enough stopping power for an SD gun.

I own 4 .22pistols and a 10/22. They're fun, but I wouldn't bring them to a gunfight if I had a choice.
I'm going to say this for the last time. He's LEARNING. To LEARN, you need to shoot A LOT. A .22 will enable him to DO SO. I did not say a .22 was the best self defense gun, but it is a good gun to perfect the basics with. Are are y'all advocating someone carrying a weapon when they haven't mastered the basics?

If any can become proficient with a handgun without shooting often and a lot, then they are a lot better than I am.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #43

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That's where we have to agree to disagree. He can learn proper mechanics of shooting on a larger caliber pistol. That's my point. The added muscle memory of using the same gun at first will only bring up his confidence and ability.

Sure YOU can switch between guns, and I regularly switch between a Glock (my first agency's issue and my preferred carry) my Sig (my current agency's issue) and my 1911 (for bullseye competitions), but he's not even 21 yet. With time pistol adaptability will follow. I've been shooting for 20 years, not sure how long you've been shooting but it's probably more than a person who can't even legally buy a handgun in the state of Florida.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Old 05-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #44

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts

Alright I'll throw my .02 cents. I carry an LC9 in an elite survival iwb holster. Sumbitch is uncomfortable as hell but it gets the job done. After 4-5 hours tho I'm dying to relieve the pressure in my side. I'm looking for a new holster but as I work part time its not in the budget. I u derstand you want the magical "harry potter picked by his wand" experience but that isn't how it works. Practice with any gun and you can carry it comfortably. Buy what you can afford and upgrade when you can. Just make sure you're not super paranoid about printing etc. Nobody is paying enough attention to question that bulge on your side.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #45

Been shooting 52 years. Started out when I was six . . . with a Ruger Mk I .22 automatic. Got a .22 rifle when I was seven. For Christmas when I was eight I got a Ruger Single Six Convertible. Sorta caught the bug early.

(Dang. That sure makes me sound . . . old.)

Last edited by txpossum; 05-22-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

I agree. First hand gun should be a 22. I don't advise carrying a 22.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #47

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
Been shooting 52 years. Started out when I was six . . . with a Ruger Mk I .22 automatic. Got a .22 rifle when I was seven. For Christmas when I was eight I got a Ruger Single Six Convertible. Sorta caught the bug early.
My second gun was a S&W .22 revolver. First was a 20 ga. Auto 5. (Both given to me when I was 12)

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Last edited by HighSpeed; 05-22-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #48

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

First handgun i ever shot, a 1911.
First handgun purchased an NAA in 22 mag
First handgun carried (sad but true) a lorcin .380
Handgun i currently edc a sig p938 nightmare
Im only 22 been shooting since i could hold my grandmother's 410 side by side

Last edited by brandinm380; 05-22-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #49

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed
Why buy a .22 to practice with when he's going to outgrow it and move up to a respectable defense caliber anyway? Based on his avatar it looks like he's a Marine; I'm sure he can handle a 9mm, .40 or .45. He said his budget is $600ish, he could buy a .22 and an OK defense pistol or buy one of the aforementioned, proven pistols and still have $ for some range time.

I just don't understand the logic of buying one gun, practicing with it, then buying another just to have to practice more to be proficient with the new gun. Just buy what you are going to carry and train with it. Not ragging on the .22 recommendation guy, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

In the military or police academy they don't start you off with a smaller weapon only to move you up to a larger gun later, and both of those institutions have to teach to the lowest common denominator/slowest learning recruits. They train with what they'll be using.

Develop your muscle memory on the gun you'll be carrying.

9mm isn't all that expensive, and money will be saved in the long run versus buying a training-wheels gun and then a reliable CCW.
Good conversation going, don't let me interrupt, but I've got to correct you on calling me a Marine. Just a wannabe for now (hopefully)

Old 05-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #50

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

And also, with the whole .22 thing going on, my buddy Roy tells me my .22lr (fun gun) makes me a wussy. I told him "you wouldn't say that if I shoved it up your ass!"- and he stopped.