Still a youngin... Any ideas on concealed handguns? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Still a youngin... Any ideas on concealed handguns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 03:15 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike93
I'm in the same boat...about a year away til I'm legal. Ive been on a quest for months trying to find that perfect gun for everyday carry. I'm almost certain on the xdm 3.8 compact 9mm because I've shot my dads full size for awhile now. I also tried out his glock 30sf and while it would be a great carry gun, the grip is too wide for me. I was set on trying the 26 but I finally held it about a month ago and I don't like the grip on that either. I've held many other handguns in the past year but wished I could've shot them. Like many will say to you, you need to try them out but it's hard to try them all.

My advice to try as many calibers as possible. Narrow that certain caliber down and then decide how many rounds you want in your carry gun. Also remember the weight factor in your choice of whatever gun you decide on.

And finally with all of the threads I've read on here about the responsibility of carrying, be prepared to use the right to defend yourself and loved ones. I consider myself prepared to defend my family and friends but you have to do the same as many others have done. I'm not sure if I've helped in any way, shape, or form, but good luck on your choice. It is our God given right to defend ourselves and our loved ones. Best of luck.
Adaptability has been a key trait for me for a while now, so grips don't bother me unless they're made of Vaseline! That'd be a problem...

Old 05-22-2013, 03:19 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 548 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Let me offer a little more advice to you. There is no "Magic" gun that's gonna have it all and that you can just pick up and put on your person with nobody knowing. As my instructor taught us, you have to dress around your gun.

Second advice, carry EVERYWHERE and ANYTIME you legally can. It doesn't matter if you are just making a midday run to the store for a gallon of milk. Once again my instructor told me "you must always carry because you never know when you are going to have a bad day. You cannot wake up in the morning and know that you are going to get robbed so you must always plan for it."

Now I am always armed (where legal). At the minimum I have my Kel-Tec PF9 on me in a pocket holster. If I can dress my clothes around it, then I carry my full size 1911 with an extra mag, often with the PF9 as a backup. I carry the 1911 IWB in a Crossbreeds holster.

Now the last point. Find yourself a good holster that has form to it. You don't want one of those soft foamy holsters because they are uncomfortable, don't hold on to your gun well, and dangerous.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

BK3220 Likes This 
Old 05-22-2013, 03:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed
Kahr Pm9, Ruger Lc9, Glock 19 or 26, M&P Shield are all popular 9mm choices for CCW. Personally, I carry a Glock 19 90% of the time. 15+1 capacity, accepts G17 mags and is reliable. Not sure how you feel about Glocks; some say they're too blocky but a good holster like a Crossbreed will conceal them perfectly.
Doesn't bother me to shoot Glocks. It shoots= I'm not gonna complain
Old 05-22-2013, 03:42 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308Wins

Adaptability has been a key trait for me for a while now, so grips don't bother me unless they're made of Vaseline! That'd be a problem...
Hey man more power to ya! And that'd definitely be a problem lol seek out as much advice on here as you can, it's a great site with many knowledgeable people. Btw, introduce yourself sometime.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:47 AM   #15

Quote:

Hey man more power to ya! And that'd definitely be a problem lol seek out as much advice on here as you can, it's a great site with many knowledgeable people. Btw, introduce yourself sometime.
Not much to say about me except that I'm some kid looking for advice on firearms. When I ask a person that seems knowledgeable about it, they usually tell me I should find out for myself. When I turn to the Internet for answers, it seems like I've crash landed on the preacher in the middle of westboro baptist church
Old 05-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

Not much to say about me except that I'm some kid looking for advice on firearms. When I ask a person that seems knowledgeable about it, they usually tell me I should find out for myself. When I turn to the Internet for answers, it seems like I've crash landed on the preacher in the middle of westboro baptist church
Are you referring to me as the preacher of some radical "Christian" church?

Old 05-22-2013, 04:03 AM   #17

Quote:

Are you referring to me as the preacher of some radical "Christian" church?
I meant in general on the Internet, before I found this app I'm using now. Not referring to anyone I've encountered so far

Old 05-22-2013, 04:03 AM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Have you dried to see if your full size will work for you? I originally didn't think I would carry a full size, but I prob carry my full size as much as my smaller gun (LCR). I carried for a while in az, so I understand about the heat thing, but most of the time it didn't bother me being full size. Just a thought. But getting a new gun is always a good thing too

Old 05-22-2013, 04:04 AM   #19
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3283 Times on 2233 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Default Well at least your in the right place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308Wins View Post
The Choices mentioned are all good concealable compacts. Don't short change yourself on the extras. Get the right Holster for you and your choice, and Mag. carriers if possible. Also,..try out All ammo! One thing you will find out is that most of the sub-compacts will warn against using +P or other "SD/HD" ammo, so that may also factor into your final choice. Both my Sub Compacts(a Stock RugerLC9 which has 600+ rds. through it and is getting a Laser Lyte installed next week & a 30+ year old Modded S&W 39/439 from ASP,..both hold 7+1)fit well in both my Holsters of choice for them,..A Blackhawk Pocket Holster & a DeSantis Insider) advise against +p rounds on a steady diet, but handle 115 Gr. FMJ's just fine....
Although I love my 1911's, I'm very happy since i made the switch in the late 80's from .45 to .9 as my Carry..Your results may vary

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 05-22-2013, 04:07 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

I meant in general on the Internet, before I found this app I'm using now. Not referring to anyone I've encountered so far
Alright my bad. Thought you were bashing me for some odd reason after I gave you my opinion. Again, good luck on your search for the right gun.