Still a youngin... Any ideas on concealed handguns?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Still a youngin... Any ideas on concealed handguns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Default Still a youngin... Any ideas on concealed handguns?

Turn old enough for a CCW in 9ish months, and I'd like to get a head start on a decent gun passable for everyday carry. Tips, recommendations, and debates would be greatly appreciated- Thank you

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-22-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308Wins
Turn old enough for a CCW in 9ish months, and I'd like to get a head start on a decent gun passable for everyday carry. Tips, recommendations, and debates would be greatly appreciated- Thank you
Well there's one can of worms. You're gonna get every opinion under the sun.

Have you been able to do much handgun shooting? Maybe with your dad? Do you have a caliber in mind? Do you want one easier concealed which translates to less capacity, or vice versa? What's your budget? What state do you live in?

I'm sure there's a few more questions to ask, but that's a good start to help us narrow down the choices of handguns.

Always have clean socks.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:49 AM   #3

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Yeah, don't make your future wife carry a full size framed .40 S&W...

Old 05-22-2013, 02:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm

Well there's one can of worms. You're gonna get every opinion under the sun.

Have you been able to do much handgun shooting? Maybe with your dad? Do you have a caliber in mind? Do you want one easier concealed which translates to less capacity, or vice versa? What's your budget? What state do you live in?

I'm sure there's a few more questions to ask, but that's a good start to help us narrow down the choices of handguns.
I've got a 9mm, it's a full sized gun though. No calibers in particular in mind. I don't mind a revolver but a 5 shot revolver just pisses me off- they deserve 6, and I'm all for higher capacity, but if that compromises the concealed factor it's a negative, ghostrider. I don't want to scare every grandma in the store and I don't want to get shot in the back of the head. Budget... I'm not really 100% on that, I've got a good bit of time before I can carry all the time, so the "boat fund" resources are being redistributed for now, lol. Lets call it less than $600 to be safe. And I live in Florida, so keep in mind I don't wear jackets and I don't own any long slacks.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:02 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 550 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Well there is something to start off with. It seems like you have a good starting place. If you wear cargo shorts then a pocket 9mm such as a Kel-Tec PF9 would work great in a pocket holster. If you want to wear IWB (inside the Waist Band) then you can get away with something bigger.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 05-22-2013, 03:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
Yeah, don't make your future wife carry a full size framed .40 S&W...
Looks like I'm carrying my own $#!t for a while!

Old 05-22-2013, 03:10 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm in the same boat...about a year away til I'm legal. Ive been on a quest for months trying to find that perfect gun for everyday carry. I'm almost certain on the xdm 3.8 compact 9mm because I've shot my dads full size for awhile now. I also tried out his glock 30sf and while it would be a great carry gun, the grip is too wide for me. I was set on trying the 26 but I finally held it about a month ago and I don't like the grip on that either. I've held many other handguns in the past year but wished I could've shot them. Like many will say to you, you need to try them out but it's hard to try them all.

My advice to try as many calibers as possible. Narrow that certain caliber down and then decide how many rounds you want in your carry gun. Also remember the weight factor in your choice of whatever gun you decide on.

And finally with all of the threads I've read on here about the responsibility of carrying, be prepared to use the right to defend yourself and loved ones. I consider myself prepared to defend my family and friends but you have to do the same as many others have done. I'm not sure if I've helped in any way, shape, or form, but good luck on your choice. It is our God given right to defend ourselves and our loved ones. Best of luck.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:13 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf
Well there is something to start off with. It seems like you have a good starting place. If you wear cargo shorts then a pocket 9mm such as a Kel-Tec PF9 would work great in a pocket holster. If you want to wear IWB (inside the Waist Band) then you can get away with something bigger.
I basically agree. I recommend keeping it in 9mm for now since that's what you're used to. Also, if you are a reloader, or ever get into it, it's just that much easier.

I like my M&P9c personally. With my Old Faithful IWB holster it disappears, despite being staggered stack. 12 round capacity in normal states (only 10 here in Kalifornia!). I bought mine for I think right at $600 brand new. I bet you can find good deals on a used one.

Another good choice of course, if you want even slimmer, is the M&P9 Shield. Although I understand a lot of people want them so finding them is pretty difficult right now.

If you want a revolver, there are lots of good choices. A good K frame S&W .357 Magnum (gonna prolly be used). I think most J frames are 5 shot? Don't quote me on that. K frames are still concealed well, especially if you get a round butt, snubbie.

Those are just my opinions. Of course I'm partial to my M&P. and I love Smith wheel guns. Just bought my first one, a 66-2 in 2.5".

Always have clean socks.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:14 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would check out the Springfield xds in 45, or something smaller like the ruger lcr or lc9. Also look at kahr guns, they make several different concealed carry size models in 9 and 45. I don't have hands on experience but allot of people like the m&p shield. If you want something similar to a 1911 check out the Sig p238 although it is higher on the price scale. Hope I helped and didn't confuse you!

Old 05-22-2013, 03:14 AM   #10

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Kahr Pm9, Ruger Lc9, Glock 19 or 26, M&P Shield are all popular 9mm choices for CCW. Personally, I carry a Glock 19 90% of the time. 15+1 capacity, accepts G17 mags and is reliable. Not sure how you feel about Glocks; some say they're too blocky but a good holster like a Crossbreed will conceal them perfectly.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".