Steyr pistols? Any good?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Steyr pistols? Any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 02:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Steyr pistols? Any good?

Still on the search for a good carry. Great looking pistols, anyone every send a few hundred rounds through them? Accuracy, recoil? Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2013, 03:45 AM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2374 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 682

Much different ergonomics. Very nice shooter. Less muzzle flip. Recoil and the sights make it faster to get back on target. The only 40 I have shot that I liked.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Trombo1 Likes This 
Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3106 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

When you look for a carry piece, look also for holsters, mags, mag carriers.

To buy a gun that holster are not readily available for could present only one option to carry. OWB. And that may not be the best option for how you dresss.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl

To buy a gun that holster are not readily available for could present only one option to carry. OWB. And that may not be the best option for how you dresss.
Thanks for the heads up! Was not aware of that

Old 02-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 42

While holsters are not as prevalent for the Steyr as they are for say Glocks, they are readily available. Blade Tech, Crown, Raven, Falco, Concealed Carry Concepts, etc. all make holsters for Steyr (as well as many other kydex and leather holster makers). You can also buy a nicely made Crossbreed IWB, a CB clone IWB holster on eBay or a Cleveland IWB holster on the Steyr Arms website. Brownells and Midway USA carry full capacity mags for around $30 each. Brownells still has mags in stock.

The newest generation of Steyr pistols (as can be determined by the American rail and a roll pin under the rear sight) are excellent guns. Probably the single most under valued and under appreciated polymer framed guns made today. The trigger is smooth and short with a VERY shot reset. I personally think it is on par with the Walther PPQ or Apex upgraded M&P. My trigger scale average a best of 3 pulls at 4.9 lbs. Recoil is light, muzzle flip is nothing compared to other guns and the ergos are awesome. Accuracy is right on par with most modern wonder 9's. Individual ability being the key factor to accuracy. I have a C9-A1 and love it. As soon as Steyr imports than new L9-A1 long slide I will have one of them too.

Last edited by Sentry18; 02-15-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Added pic
Trombo1 Likes This 
Old 03-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Steyr pistols are magnificent pieces of engineering but unfortunately they are aware of this fact and charge accordingly

Old 03-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl

So true.When i first started carrying my XD9SC it was hard to find holsters and spare mags that was however 6 years ago during the Glock haze when all you could find was glock and 1911 holsters thankfully this is no longer the case.
Now via the net,various catalogues and even the LGS has a great supply of holsters and aftermarket mags and all the lasers lights and other toys that seem so popular so not a problem

Old 03-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #8

Liked 362 Times on 207 Posts

A long slide? Like a Glock 34? I'd like that!

Old 03-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #9

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

One thing that swayed me away...Steyr's have a magazine disconnect. To me, not acceptable in a CC package. No mag disconnect, no safety. Anything else is for pleasure, not business.