starting a discussion....Situational awareness. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > starting a discussion....Situational awareness.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #21
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 512 Times on 314 Posts

Hey FMJ I think I was a good thing talking to that boy and his dad you probably saved his life. Cause if no one would have had that talk with him he would have probably went out and got an illegal gun. And that would have ended badly so thank you

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 12-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #22
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
Hey FMJ I think I was a good thing talking to that boy and his dad you probably saved his life. Cause if no one would have had that talk with him he would have probably went out and got an illegal gun. And that would have ended badly so thank you

Thanks for the kind words...but no thanks necessary. Like i say, hes like one of my own, a nephew i never had kinda thing. His (passed (breast cancer)) granny, my dear friend, would EXPECT me to step up in this case.

When i started reading the comments/advice he was getting from his contemporaries, i knew without a doubt, i HAD to do something. Man, the stuff i was reading scared the living $H!T outta me....there are some really dumb and misinformed dickweeds running around out there!

The kid has some respect for me and the knowledge i have earned. (he remembers to this day our talks and what i taught him 8 or so years ago about marksmanship and gun safety) I couldnt stand idly by and watch him possibly do something that would bring grief to himself.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #23

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
I agree with AZL about avoiding trouble, and using a polite response where possible. But don't let yourself appear to be afraid. The dirtbags who are out to "do" somebody will prefer to pick on someone who is afraid of them because they would assume that the fearful person would put up no resistance. So put on an air of confidence, and let your "apology" be from an attitude of "kindness" rather than "please don't hurt me".
This is so true. Many years ago I participated in a sports program that involved football and basketball games against the inmates at the state prison. We had to actually go inside the prison to play these games. While inside the prison I spoke with many inmates who were incarcerated for many crimes, including murder. I was surprised at how openly some of them talked about what landed them in prison and what life behind bars was like. Some of the inmates talked about how they can easily spot fear or weakness in a person and how they prey upon them. The bad guys out there will go after a person who looks weak or scared before messing with someone who has the appearance of having strength and confidence. This does not mean that someone should go out of their way to try to look macho or "bad". This can only invite trouble. Keeping a low, confident profile is the smart thing to do when you are out of your "natural habitat". Trouble avoidance is key.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post

We've all seen the arm chair commandos that think carrying a gun is "Cool" or "neat".
When i was a teenager i thought the same thing. growing up I realized carrying a gun is no more than a necessary inconvenience.

If you outlaw guns then only outlaws have guns.