Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   starting a discussion....Situational awareness. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/starting-discussion-situational-awareness-53582/)

fmj 12-14-2011 03:58 PM

starting a discussion....Situational awareness.

I have read a few threads/posts on here about what to do/not do after you are involved in a defensive shooting.

Some VERY good and NEEDED info contained in those threads....but i would like to start a discussion of AVOIDING a shooting all together.

We've all seen the arm chair commandos that think carrying a gun is "Cool" or "neat". I contend it is neither, as most here know it is a HUGE RESPONSIBILITY!

It is my contention that most, not all, but most SD shooting situations can be avoided with a little thing known as "SITUATIONAL AWARENESS" or being aware of your surroundings and who is there/what they are doing at all times.

I have this in mind due to the tale i relay below...

::A short tale::

Just last week I read on facebook where one of my kids (I have known this young mans parents for 20+ years, was holding the little dude a few short hours after he was born, am friends with his aunts and uncles and grandparents. 8-9 years ago i took him and worked with him (as i have done with quite a few kids through the years) on gun safety and marksmanship. Today hes all into beating the drums in his heavy metal band, skate boarding and video as is any 16 y/o) was put in a scary situation.

He told a tale of when he was done skating at the local skate park and was walking home. How another young man approached him and shoved a gun in his face and relieved him of his I-phone and money. He was going on about how he needed a gun ect. ect.

I read many a scary posting from his contemporaries and became quite concerned.

So, the next day i got up early, headed to his dads house, drank coffee with his old man and waiting for the young man to wake up. When he came down stairs, i had him relay the tale to me in all its gruesome details.

After talking with him, and getting him into a slightly more calm state of mind, i explained to him how having a gun, even if it were legal for him to carry, would have only gotten him, one - put in jail for a LONG time or two- DEAD.

I then had a long talk with him, explaining how the whole thing most likely could have been avoided by "SITUATIONAL AWARENESS". How he needed to start practicing being aware at all times of what was going on around him, who was in the area, and learning to read ones body language.

One of my hobbies is watching animals in their natural habitat. Having moved to the big city some years ago, i have taken to watching the human animal in its natural habitat. Because of this hobby I have become somewhat adept at reading peoples body language. This hobby has served me well being able to see the trouble before it begins, and am able to get myself , family and friends (the ones that will listen) clear of the area before the SHTF so to speak.

I would like to hear from others on this matter....

Axxe55 12-14-2011 04:20 PM

fmj, very good post and you are so right. many situations could be avoided if people were aware of their surroundings. i think many need to think about an emphasis on avoiding trouble as much as being prepared for it. very well written and something any who carry or have a firearm needs to think about.

trip286 12-14-2011 04:45 PM

I check out everyone, every where I go. Example, I go into a restaurant, look around first at the people, then look for the seat I'll request. From my table- 6 o'clock, middle aged lady in a business suit, having dinner with a younger woman, likely a daughter, not likely a threat. 11o'clock, physically fit man with wife and kids, adults wearing rings, likely married, man has military bearing and demeanor, gives me a nod, great, he's looking around too and has pegged me as well, not likely a threat. 2 o'clock, 5 rednecks drinking way too many beers on a wednesday night, getting a bit loud and rambunctious, possibly not a threat, but they bear close watching, method for dealing with them if they get out of hand, immediate egress via the door 10 feet to my 8 o'clock. Group of mixed race people intoxicated and yelling at each other, don't even sit down, find somewhere else to eat.
I do this everywhere I go, gas station, grocery store, movies, it doesn't matter.

FlBob518 12-14-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj (Post 651756)
I have read a few threads/posts on here about what to do/not do after you are involved in a defensive shooting.

Some VERY good and NEEDED info contained in those threads....but i would like to start a discussion of AVOIDING a shooting all together.

We've all seen the arm chair commandos that think carrying a gun is "Cool" or "neat". I contend it is neither, as most here know it is a HUGE RESPONSIBILITY!

It is my contention that most, not all, but most SD shooting situations can be avoided with a little thing known as "SITUATIONAL AWARENESS" or being aware of your surroundings and who is there/what they are doing at all times.

I have this in mind due to the tale i relay below...

::A short tale::

Just last week I read on facebook where one of my kids (I have known this young mans parents for 20+ years, was holding the little dude a few short hours after he was born, am friends with his aunts and uncles and grandparents. 8-9 years ago i took him and worked with him (as i have done with quite a few kids through the years) on gun safety and marksmanship. Today hes all into beating the drums in his heavy metal band, skate boarding and video as is any 16 y/o) was put in a scary situation.

He told a tale of when he was done skating at the local skate park and was walking home. How another young man approached him and shoved a gun in his face and relieved him of his I-phone and money. He was going on about how he needed a gun ect. ect.

I read many a scary posting from his contemporaries and became quite concerned.

So, the next day i got up early, headed to his dads house, drank coffee with his old man and waiting for the young man to wake up. When he came down stairs, i had him relay the tale to me in all its gruesome details.

After talking with him, and getting him into a slightly more calm state of mind, i explained to him how having a gun, even if it were legal for him to carry, would have only gotten him, one - put in jail for a LONG time or two- DEAD.

I then had a long talk with him, explaining how the whole thing most likely could have been avoided by "SITUATIONAL AWARENESS". How he needed to start practicing being aware at all times of what was going on around him, who was in the area, and learning to read ones body language.

One of my hobbies is watching animals in their natural habitat. Having moved to the big city some years ago, i have taken to watching the human animal in its natural habitat. Because of this hobby I have become somewhat adept at reading peoples body language. This hobby has served me well being able to see the trouble before it begins, and am able to get myself , family and friends (the ones that will listen) clear of the area before the SHTF so to speak.

I would like to hear from others on this matter....

I would never go anywhere with a gun that I won't go without one.

partdeux 12-15-2011 01:34 AM

Our CPL instructor explained a situation where someone was literally stalking her through a parking lot. She got very vocal with the person when he got within about 25' of her. He called her a B, C, psycho, and walked away.

Couple of weeks ago I was carrying wife was not, and I was pushing the grocery cart through the parking lot using my long legs to my advantage and focused on my goal, getting to the car and home. She was putting away her coupons and receipt and noticed two young men in hoodies on a beeline straight for her. She picked up her pace and caught up with me and they literally turned around and got into their car. Coincidence? Maybe. But, even more importantly, we really need to work on communication. She saw a potential danger and did nothing to alert me, who was not focused on my surroundings.

BlueTurf 12-15-2011 01:00 PM

Situational awareness is everything. It is the first thing to consider. Some people tend to lose their focus and put themselves at risk. Some people think they have nothing to worry about if they are packing a gun and forget about situational awareness. When we are alone or few in number we need to always be aware of where we are, who is or might be around us and what they are doing. Having an escape route is important too. Situational awareness will also help decide what type of gun or ammo to pack for self-defense. If I am up in the hills and think I might encounter a dangerous four-legged critter I will have either my .357 mag or .44 mag with hot loads. This would work for BGs also. In a situation that would involve BGs up close I would prefer my .45acp with the 230-grain HPs. I would even feel okay with the 9mm with good ammo. In short, pay attention to where you are. These days there are more and more people out there who need to support their drug habit and they may be at the point where they are willing to use deadly force to take what someone else has. Others just need money and taking from others is their first choice. There will always be those who just want to victimize others for the thrill of it. These types are found just about everywhere. Be vigilant.

I guess I should close by saying above all trouble should be avoided whenever possible. This doesn't mean that you have to run from everything and live in fear, just be smart and cool about where you are and what you are doing.

Axxe55 12-15-2011 08:30 PM

i think some very good information has been brought up here. just because a person carries, doesn't mean they are bulletproof and shouldn't pay attention to their surroundings. as someone said, don't go somewhere carrying, that you wouldn't go not, makes a lot of sense too. as times get harder, more and more people could become desperate and might even resort to violence, so pay attention to your surroundings and watch your back.

phburks 12-15-2011 08:43 PM

The way I figure is my carry weapon is my safety net for when all else fails. Good sense is my primary defense.

dragunovsks 12-15-2011 08:45 PM

My dad preached situational awareness from a young age, not only from a ccw point of view but when driving as well. He told me assume everyone is trying to hit you and drive accordingly. When he goes into a resturant he refuses to sit with his back to the door, of course he doesnt carry so i dont know what he would do in a "situation", im trying to talk him into getting his handgun permit.

phburks 12-15-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks
My dad preached situational awareness from a young age, not only from a ccw point of view but when driving as well. He told me assume everyone is trying to hit you and drive accordingly. When he goes into a resturant he refuses to sit with his back to the door, of course he doesnt carry so i dont know what he would do in a "situation", im trying to talk him into getting his handgun permit.

My dad taught me the same thing when I was learning to drive. His advice was "Assume everyone else on the road is an idiot." Sadly, here in Orlando, his assessment is actually true. Lol